The Student Room Group

Animation courses

Hi, I am struggling with my Uni choices for whether should I apply for OCAD's digital painting and expanded animation but I am not sure how it works for applying to study in Canada. So far I have applied for :
Bournemouth University (computer animation technical arts)
University of Westminster (animation)
Norwich University of the Arts (animation)
Art University Bournemouth (animation production)
Falmouth University (animation and visual effects)

I've got a conditional offer from Bournemouth University but without having any interviews and submit my portfolio, so I was wondering should I put it as my first 3 choices. Also, I have not planned which Uni should I put as my firm and insurance choice and wanting for some advice, thanks.
Are you applying from Canada?
Can you visit at all?

You need to wait until all of your choices have made a decision before you start to think about which is your top choice.

Getting an offer without being asked for a portfolio is quite unusual for an animation course. It implies that the course is likely to be more focused on computing skills than drawing. Your other choices are all a lot more creative. You need to think about what course is best suited to your interests.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you applying from Canada?
Can you visit at all?

You need to wait until all of your choices have made a decision before you start to think about which is your top choice.

Getting an offer without being asked for a portfolio is quite unusual for an animation course. It implies that the course is likely to be more focused on computing skills than drawing. Your other choices are all a lot more creative. You need to think about what course is best suited to your interests.

Yeah, I am struggling with should I apply to OCAD cus I've found out the ranking of animation in OCAD is quite high, but I have very little information about experience studying in OCAD and have not been to there before and I would not be able to visit there.
Original post by EchoC
Yeah, I am struggling with should I apply to OCAD cus I've found out the ranking of animation in OCAD is quite high, but I have very little information about experience studying in OCAD and have not been to there before and I would not be able to visit there.

OCAD is online study (that’s what the O stands for!). Do you mean UCA (University for the Creative Arts - they own OCAD)? If so then there’s two of their campuses that offer animation and the places and courses are quite different.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
OCAD is online study (that’s what the O stands for!). Do you mean UCA (University for the Creative Arts - they own OCAD)? If so then there’s two of their campuses that offer animation and the places and courses are quite different.

No, I mean OCAD in Canada, Ontario College of Art and Design University in Canda.
Original post by EchoC
Hi, I am struggling with my Uni choices for whether should I apply for OCAD's digital painting and expanded animation but I am not sure how it works for applying to study in Canada. So far I have applied for :

I've got a conditional offer from Bournemouth University but without having any interviews and submit my portfolio, so I was wondering should I put it as my first 3 choices. Also, I have not planned which Uni should I put as my firm and insurance choice and wanting for some advice, thanks.

Hi there

It's great to hear you're considering Westminster as one of your choices to study Animation in the UK.

Animation BA is a creative degree packed full of vocational skills. Our network of successful alumni at Westminster enrich the course with guest lecturers and internships.

The creative sector is thriving in London and our links with industry mean that our graduates have landed some fantastic opportunities.

We work in close relationship with the Royal College of Art and the National Film and Television School, to provide our students with valuable work experience on their award winning animation productions. This happens in the 2nd and 3rd year of the course, and its the perfect introduction to working on a professional production team. Its a great chance to get your name on the credits of an award winning film. Every year one of our alumni is awarded an internship at Cartoon Network.

Best of luck with your applications.

Kim
University of Westminster
Original post by EchoC

Thanks for considering Bournemouth Uni, have you had a chance to visit the uni and view the facilities? If not you can have a look at some virtual tours here: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/open-days/bu-virtual-tour-virtual-open-days

The course is an award winning course accredited by Creative Skillset and during your degree you will have the opportunity to work with some of the UK's leading computer animation organisations, through the National Centre for Computer Animation (NCCA), and can make valuable contacts before you graduate. Our NCCA graduates have gone on to work on some of the most successful films of the past decade, including Avatar, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Interstellar, Gravity and Alice in Wonderland to name just a few.

Have you also looked into the £10,000 scholarship that's available for this course? https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/scholarships/ukeu-student-scholarships/subject-achievement-scholarship-animation-games

If you have any other questions please ask.

Vicki

Quick Reply

Latest