The Student Room Group

Does he have depression?

My best friend has changed a lot since when I first became friends with him. He's 14. He's started to become so pessimistic about everything. Pretty much every conversation that we have ends up with him talking about death, and everything not being worth it, and that death will cause someone some sort of problem sooner or later, so you better get it over and done with.

Since we came back after the Xmas holidays, I always see him sleeping in class and he never used to do this, he always used to care. His grades have dropped by 40% I was so shocked, he used to get in the 90s and now he's getting like 53 - 58%.

Today when I came into school at about 7:30, I noticed him in the geography classroom by himself walking around in circles. The light was off and the room was pretty dark. I'm just so worried about him, and I know that you won't really be able to tell by this, but do you think he has depression?
It’s hard to say whether he’s depressed but it’s a bit worrying that he keeps talking about death. You could talk to him and just explain that you’re worried about him, he might need someone to talk to and he’ll probably feel better knowing that you’re there for him. It’s important to know that you’re not alone when you’re feeling down. You could also talk to your parents about this and see what they think you should do?
Reply 2
what is deppresion? maybe he just ahs heart broke?
I would speak to a teacher about his behaviour if its concerning to you. As a friend your much more likely to spot a change, so you should mention it to someone. Is there a youth worker or head of year you can go to?
It may be depression or something else mental health related, but what ever it is, its always better to talk and get help!
Reply 4
It is possible that he has depression or is struggling with mental illness -- these things must be troubling to view, especially when it is a friend.
Go to a teacher, parent, school nurse -- any adult. They will know what to do, whether that is talking to him or getting serious.
Don't keep quiet -- it is important to get help for him if he can't/won't get help himself.
Original post by meek-girl
My best friend has changed a lot since when I first became friends with him. He's 14. He's started to become so pessimistic about everything. Pretty much every conversation that we have ends up with him talking about death, and everything not being worth it, and that death will cause someone some sort of problem sooner or later, so you better get it over and done with.

Since we came back after the Xmas holidays, I always see him sleeping in class and he never used to do this, he always used to care. His grades have dropped by 40% I was so shocked, he used to get in the 90s and now he's getting like 53 - 58%.

Today when I came into school at about 7:30, I noticed him in the geography classroom by himself walking around in circles. The light was off and the room was pretty dark. I'm just so worried about him, and I know that you won't really be able to tell by this, but do you think he has depression?

Clearly it’s impossible to diagnose over the internet but it certainly sounds concerning, I can see why you’re worried! Could you speak to him about it and mention the changes you’ve seen and that you’re worried? Or perhaps speak to a teacher about it? Most importantly, whatever the cause behind his change in behaviour, is to simply be there for him and be someone he can talk to
Reply 6
Original post by nintysixthousand
I would speak to a teacher about his behaviour if its concerning to you. As a friend your much more likely to spot a change, so you should mention it to someone. Is there a youth worker or head of year you can go to?
It may be depression or something else mental health related, but what ever it is, its always better to talk and get help!

don't be stupid it's clear that he just has heart broke. all lil twinklers get heart broke when they are young'ems. just kiss him that will make him feel better.
Original post by Magmada
don't be stupid it's clear that he just has heart broke. all lil twinklers get heart broke when they are young'ems. just kiss him that will make him feel better.

I think that’s a rather insensitive reply considering you’ve never met this boy and he may be suffering from a severe mental health condition :/ it’s hard enough for boys and men to speak out about their struggles, let’s not make it harder for them!
Reply 8
Original post by MadsClare_13
I think that’s a rather insensitive reply considering you’ve never met this boy and he may be suffering from a severe mental health condition :/ it’s hard enough for boys and men to speak out about their struggles, let’s not make it harder for them!

okay i'm sorry
Reply 9
but what is deppresion?
Reply 10
Original post by Magmada
but what is deppresion?

In general use, it refers to the mood (sadness).
In this case, it refers to the condition (most likely clinical depression) -- long periods of extreme sadness
Reply 11
Original post by koruu
In general use, it refers to the mood (sadness).
In this case, it refers to the condition (most likely clinical depression) -- long periods of extreme sadness

okay thanks also i'm not trying to be funny cause i know this sounds stupid but is there a condition with the reverse whee your like always sooo happy, like too happy for too long?
Reply 12
Original post by Magmada
okay thanks also i'm not trying to be funny cause i know this sounds stupid but is there a condition with the reverse whee your like always sooo happy, like too happy for too long?

Maybe manic depression? I don't know much about it, but from what I do know, it seems similar.
Then again, I don't know much about these conditions in general. Do some research, there are so many resources availible online.
Original post by Magmada

Not that I know of!
Original post by Magmada

Other than the obvious Mania/Hypermania, though they're usually experienced as part of a mood disorder like manic depressive disorder etc
Original post by meek-girl

It could be signs of depression or perhaps something happened in his life recently to make him act this way? Have you talked to him about this, and if there is something wrong, encourage him to get help?
Original post by Magmada

It's called Mania. It's a common part of Bipolar Disorder. Common symptoms include extreme elation/happiness, extreme excitement, talking very fast, feeling that your mind is "racing", reckless behaviour (taking a lot of drugs, unsafe sex, spending extremely large amounts of money), grandiose ideas, feeling more important than normal. In some cases you can have hallucinations and delusions. In some cases instead of feeling very happy you can feel extremely angry/irritated.

Quick Reply

Latest