The Student Room Group

Alex Salmond arrested

Alex Salmond, the former first minister of Scotland, has been arrested by police and will appear in court on Thursday afternoon.

Salmond has been under investigation by Police Scotland following a confidential investigation by the Scottish government into allegations by two women that he sexually harassed them several years ago. The Scottish government sent their final report to police in August last year.

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We can confirm a 64-year-old man has been arrested and charged and a report has been sent to the procurator fiscal.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/24/alex-salmond-scotlands-former-first-minister-arrested
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Haha great!
The Guardian says: "It is not yet clear what charges he faces or when he will appear in court." BBC has similar. I am not sure how you got he was arrested for allegations of sexual assault.
Original post by Notoriety
The Guardian says: "It is not yet clear what charges he faces or when he will appear in court." BBC has similar. I am not sure how you got he was arrested for allegations of sexual assault.

holycrap i misread . :facepalm:
Original post by HucktheForde
holycrap i misread . :facepalm:

It's all gravy, baby. I think it more than likely is something to do with that, but who knows. They might have uncovered something fishy about his life when they conducted the sexual complaints investigation. E.g. sold Government secrets to Russia in return for an RT gig.
It could be far worse ...just imagine if wee Jimmy Krankie had also come forward with accusations ....that would really turn the stomach . Fortunately she wasn't and then rest is history.
I know it’s not the time or plaice to say this, but I hope he gets a fair herring.
He's been charged with multiple counts of sexual assault and two of attempted rape.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/24/alex-salmond-scotlands-former-first-minister-arrested

Pretty serious stuff.
Will any of this spill over into the wider SNP?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Will any of this spill over into the wider SNP?

You can hope.

It's always been hard to take them seriously (amazingly, some Scots at least seem to - a sign of how hard austerity policies have hit that country more than anything and how powerless Labour were to do anything real about them - the SNP have done little better) and will be more so now.

It's really the major broadcasters more than anyone who elevated Salmond to his National Motormouth for Scotland position and no doubt they will be applying the same determination to destroying him in public now as they once did to put him on every political show ever shown between about 1990 and 2015.
From order-order, here are the list of charges. Fairly impressive.

charges.jpg
Reply 11
Original post by Fullofsurprises
From order-order, here are the list of charges. Fairly impressive.

charges.jpg

Quite the stack of charges, I guess court proceedings are going to take quite a long time on this one. Will have to be patient for now before we hear any news on this, assuming Salmond doesn't break down and admit everything. But he doesn't seem the type for that, really.
Original post by Dez
Quite the stack of charges, I guess court proceedings are going to take quite a long time on this one. Will have to be patient for now before we hear any news on this, assuming Salmond doesn't break down and admit everything. But he doesn't seem the type for that, really.

Figuring out a way to bad mouth the prosecution on TV and maybe bribe a judge or two would be more his style.

How long before he claims this is all a witch hunt because he appears regularly on RT? Will the latter drop his show? Or perhaps give him even more airtime. :rolleyes:
It's all gravy, baby. I think it more than likely is something to do with that, but who knows. They might have uncovered something fishy about his life when they conducted the sexual complaints investigation. E.g. sold Government secrets to Russia in return for an RT gig.

something fishy
He's been charged with multiple counts of sexual assault and two of attempted rape.

Pretty serious stuff.

Not looking good for the old sod.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
something fishy

because's his name is close to salmon?
because's his name is close to salmon?

certainly very fishy

Nicola Sturgeon too.

Lock them up!
Do we know if it is a single or multiple accusers?
Figuring out a way to bad mouth the prosecution on TV and maybe bribe a judge or two would be more his style.

How long before he claims this is all a witch hunt because he appears regularly on RT? Will the latter drop his show? Or perhaps give him even more airtime. :rolleyes:

RT have run the story and, as usual, have left the resident HYS staff to generate conspiracy theories, create obfuscation and generally discredit Western news coverage and the Liberal-Democratic statutory machine.

Nicola Spungeon has seen the scales fall and has given up trying to pour oil on troubled waters.

Some say there is no smoked Salmond without a fire. Still, RT have taken the bait. Seems like the ex-politician will soon be poached.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by uberteknik
RT have run the story and, as usual, have left the resident HYS staff to generate conspiracy theories, create obfuscation and generally discredit Western news coverage and the Liberal-Democratic statutory machine.

Nicola Spungeon has seen the scales fall and has given up trying to pour oil on troubled waters.

Some say there is no smoked salmon without a fire. Still, RT have taken the bait. Seems like the ex-politician will soon be poached.

This comment made me hungry. :yum:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending