The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Bowland court

I am studying at Lancaster this coming year and have been given a room at Bowland Accommodation. On reading the reviews people are saying it’s really noisy. As someone who struggles to sleep unless it’s relatively quiet, can people let me know how noisy it is in this area. And is it as bad as the reviews make out?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hanpryde
I am studying at Lancaster this coming year and have been given a room at Bowland Accommodation. On reading the reviews people are saying it’s really noisy. As someone who struggles to sleep unless it’s relatively quiet, can people let me know how noisy it is in this area. And is it as bad as the reviews make out?

Hi Bowland area is in various areas around alexandra square.
You have bowland tower which is on one corner of alex square, then bowland main which has standard accommodation shared bathroom (my daughter is in there for summer accommodation whilst she works in the city) this is around alex square and also bowland quad I beleive. Her room is quite near to alex square.
Then theres Bowlands Ash house which is in bowland north part of campus and had large communal areas. its my understanding that this is superior standard accommodation. Bowland halls are on the perimeter road, away from alex square. Then theres slaidburn house which is above the spar shop and sultans.
I have also stayed at Bowland main last month when I helped her move in. Although its naturally quiet in the summer it was graduation day, and very busy. It was a super busy day moving from one accommodation to the next, and I got my head down for a nap around 3pm (have a blow up bed lol) and I could not hear a thing. It was only when I had the window open I could hear a faint talking in the air being carried over, but that was nothing much. Daughter heard more in the first year grizedale townhouse accommodation from the grizedale bar. That was only from the window being open.

No matter where you will be, there will be people coming back from a night out, and may be loud be it on the spine, or on the way back to the flat, but in the flat theres a noise curfew in place after 11pm. its part of your student handbook, and the porters are on the look out for anyone who plays loud music after this time. And the windows do keep out a lot of the noise.
Maybe also invest in a fan for the warmer nights. if you can sleep with a fan on, then that will combat having the window open when you go to bed at night.
(edited 8 months ago)
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending