The Student Room Group

UEA vs. Edinburgh

I have applied for meteorology courses at both UEA and Edinburgh but am a bit torn between the two. I thought UEA was in a lovely area and the campus seemed friendly and chilled out. The course seems more focused on meteorology than Edinburghs as it is in meteorology and oceanography rather than geophysics and meteorology. Also, UEAs course is 4 years rather than 5 - I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I haven't visited Edinburgh University yet as I live in Portsmouth and takes too long to go up for a visit, but the city sounds fun and interesting, and the University is well known for being good and is somewhat prestigious. On another note, I'm into downhill longboarding which requires hills that east anglia so badly lacks and Edinburgh has an abundance of - so it may be better for my hobby to go to Edinburgh 😎. So far I have had an offer from UEA for an MSc in meteorology and oceanography, Reading for a BSc in meteorology and climate, and Plymouth for a BSc in geography and ocean science. I am still waiting on Edinburgh and Leeds for offers.
Original post by freyapalmer00
I have applied for meteorology courses at both UEA and Edinburgh but am a bit torn between the two. I thought UEA was in a lovely area and the campus seemed friendly and chilled out. The course seems more focused on meteorology than Edinburghs as it is in meteorology and oceanography rather than geophysics and meteorology. Also, UEAs course is 4 years rather than 5 - I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I haven't visited Edinburgh University yet as I live in Portsmouth and takes too long to go up for a visit, but the city sounds fun and interesting, and the University is well known for being good and is somewhat prestigious. On another note, I'm into downhill longboarding which requires hills that east anglia so badly lacks and Edinburgh has an abundance of - so it may be better for my hobby to go to Edinburgh 😎. So far I have had an offer from UEA for an MSc in meteorology and oceanography, Reading for a BSc in meteorology and climate, and Plymouth for a BSc in geography and ocean science. I am still waiting on Edinburgh and Leeds for offers.

Hi Freya!

It's lovely to hear that you're considering studying at UEA :smile: I graduated in July of last year after studying Media for 4 years and I'm now doing an internship here too. If there's anything you would like to know then please don't hesitate to ask! If you're considering Edinburgh, I would definitely recommend trying to arrange a visit there if possible.

Heidi

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending