The Student Room Group

Cashing-in A Level modules (private candidate) - help pls!

last year I took A Level Maths (old spec), A Level Govt&Pol (old spec) and AS Level Further Maths (old spec) - achieved BCb respectively.

I'm planning to resit some modules - C2, C3 (Maths), Unit 1, Unit 3, Unit 4 (Politics) and FP1 (FM)

However, I spoke with the exams officer today and she said it's not possible for me to resit individual modules to improve my grades because I already got a certificate for them.

Is it not possible to 're-cash' all my modules and just get another certificate with the (hopefully) higher grade??

Any help is appreciated!
Original post by insubordinate
last year I took A Level Maths (old spec), A Level Govt&Pol (old spec) and AS Level Further Maths (old spec) - achieved BCb respectively.

I'm planning to resit some modules - C2, C3 (Maths), Unit 1, Unit 3, Unit 4 (Politics) and FP1 (FM)

However, I spoke with the exams officer today and she said it's not possible for me to resit individual modules to improve my grades because I already got a certificate for them.

Is it not possible to 're-cash' all my modules and just get another certificate with the (hopefully) higher grade??

Any help is appreciated!

yes you can. This was a standard feature of the old modular A levels and certainly the maths unit exams are available this year. You might not be able to because a centre doesnt want to do it but not because examiners don't allow it.
Original post by gdunne42
yes you can. This was a standard feature of the old modular A levels and certainly the maths unit exams are available this year. You might not be able to because a centre doesnt want to do it but not because examiners don't allow it.

thanks for confirming this!

so how would i have to go about it, do i need a new cash-in code or something?
Reply 3
thanks for confirming this!

so how would i have to go about it, do i need a new cash-in code or something?

Yes, you need to tell the centre the codes for the units you want to re-sit and also the codes for the qualifications you want to cash-in again. Since you're re-sitting AS and A level units I'd cash in the AS and A level Politics and you NEED to cash in AS Maths, A level Mash and AS FM so that all your units are freed up to move round to maximise your Maths grade. Which exam boards are the Gov&Pol and the Maths with?
Original post by Compost
Yes, you need to tell the centre the codes for the units you want to re-sit and also the codes for the qualifications you want to cash-in again. Since you're re-sitting AS and A level units I'd cash in the AS and A level Politics and you NEED to cash in AS Maths, A level Mash and AS FM so that all your units are freed up to move round to maximise your Maths grade. Which exam boards are the Gov&Pol and the Maths with?

okay, so are these all the qualification codes (obvs including unit codes for the individual modules) i need to provide for the exams officer?

AS Maths: 8371
A2 Maths: 9371

AS FM: 8372

AS GovPol: 8GP01
A2 GovPol: 9GP01

all these exams are on EdExcel
Reply 5
okay, so are these all the qualification codes (obvs including unit codes for the individual modules) i need to provide for the exams officer?

AS Maths: 8371
A2 Maths: 9371

AS FM: 8372

AS GovPol: 8GP01
A2 GovPol: 9GP01

all these exams are on EdExcel

If all the exams are with Edexcel then those are the correct cash-in codes. (Plus you also need the unit codes - 6664, 6665, 6667, etc.)
Original post by Compost
If all the exams are with Edexcel then those are the correct cash-in codes. (Plus you also need the unit codes - 6664, 6665, 6667, etc.)

for politics shouldn't i just use one cash-in code (9GP01) since it's for the whole A Level (so i assume it would take into account Unit 1 of the AS)?
Reply 7
for politics shouldn't i just use one cash-in code (9GP01) since it's for the whole A Level (so i assume it would take into account Unit 1 of the AS)?

You don't have to bother with the AS code, but, if you do better in Unit 1 Gov & Pol it might improve your AS Grade ansd there's no harm in getting a certificate with a better grade on given that cashing-in is free.
Original post by Compost
You don't have to bother with the AS code, but, if you do better in Unit 1 Gov & Pol it might improve your AS Grade ansd there's no harm in getting a certificate with a better grade on given that cashing-in is free.

do you mean that i would get two certificates - one for AS GovPol and one for the overall A Level?
Reply 9
do you mean that i would get two certificates - one for AS GovPol and one for the overall A Level?

It would be one certificate with both grades on it.
Original post by Compost
It would be one certificate with both grades on it.

okay, thanks for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest