The Student Room Group

Should I withdraw from my studies?

I'm a first year Psychology student.
I've struggled with mental health for 5 years now. Since October it has gotten VERY downhill for me and I'm not sure whether to suspend my studies until next year.
So far in my coursework/exams I've achieved a fail, 2:2 and 2:1; so very ranged. I'm really really struggling to manage my health and uni as my health has been a huge issue. I have suffered with anxiety and depression for 5 years now, but unfortunately this got a lot worse and I was given Anti Depressants. I got an adverse effect off of these and turned hypo manic (typical for someone with Bipolar disorder) so I have been referred to the Community mental health team who will be giving me a diagnosis (now suspected Bipolar).
Ever since the hypomania being triggered by AD's, I've had rapid cycling (moods going from being depressed to being completely high on life in the same day).
I've been off of the AD's officially for 2 weeks now, but it continues. I feel absolutely awful.
If I did suspend my studies and come back next year, where would i stand with my loan? I can't afford to pay anything back right now.

I'm just wanting some advice really; life advice, loan advice. Anything.

TIA
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Shanianeverknows
I'm a first year Psychology student.
I've struggled with mental health for 5 years now. Since October it has gotten VERY downhill for me and I'm not sure whether to suspend my studies until next year.
So far in my coursework/exams I've achieved a fail, 2:2 and 2:1; so very ranged. I'm really really struggling to manage my health and uni as my health has been a huge issue. I have suffered with anxiety and depression for 5 years now, but unfortunately this got a lot worse and I was given Anti Depressants. I got an adverse effect off of these and turned hypo manic (typical for someone with Bipolar disorder) so I have been referred to the Community mental health team who will be giving me a diagnosis (now suspected Bipolar).
Ever since the hypomania being triggered by AD's, I've had rapid cycling (moods going from being depressed to being completely high on life in the same day).
I've been off of the AD's officially for 2 weeks now, but it continues. I feel absolutely awful.
If I did suspend my studies and come back next year, where would i stand with my loan? I can't afford to pay anything back right now.

I'm just wanting some advice really; life advice, loan advice. Anything.

TIA

If you suspend your studies, you might get 60 days extra funding due to your circumstances, you would be expected to pay what you've been overpaid of your loan back but they are generally quite reasonable if you explain your circumstance they would like accept a payment plan. When i dropped out, i paid back what i owed at £30 a month and they offered to make it less if i was struggling.

Quick Reply

Latest