The Student Room Group

Dissertation while depressed

I'm in my final year of my degree. I'm starting writing my dissertation, due in May. Was supposed to submit a partial draft 3 weeks ago but I still haven't done that, have to face my supervisor soon so that'll be great. I'm pretty much 2 months behind on everything.

I'm on anti-depressants but not therapy or whatever. Drugs haven't helped yet 3 months in so they're a waste of time.

I'm struggling with life in general. I think I could probably scrape a pass in all of my exams if that was all I had to do, but the dissertation I think is beyond me. Not helping that depression => dissertation takes more effort => feels like it's a neverending task that I'll never get anywhere with => depression worse.

I spoke to someone at uni before christmas who said I could either take a leave of absence or drop out altogether (would get BSc rather than integrated masters). I am very much leaning towards dropping out, but most of my family say I should keep going, "only 5 months left". My mum just said she can't make my decision for me.

Is there any hope that I can get past this? Has anyone else managed to get their dissertation done despite depression? Should I just give up before I give in to the suicidal thoughts?
Reply 1
Hello,
I can’t offer much help except to tell you I’m in a similar situation.
I’m in my final (3rd) year and my dissertation is due mid April. Currently have a presentation to prepare for it and I have done literally nothing with 10 days to go.

I have had depression and anxiety even before I started uni and knew that it would be a drag to complete the degree. Most of the time it’s been a drag like I expected it to be but some how I have reached near the end. My anxiety is worse than my depression and Im still trying to figure out how to cope with it.

I’m not being much help but my point is I personally know my mental illness will follow me for a long time and that I figure out how to cope with it. So far I have not. But getting to this point itself is an achievement. The only reason that I have is because I know I’ll still have crippling anxiety regardless of whether I’m doing a degree or not.

My advise would be to not give up if uni is not the source of your depression and if it is take a break for sure. But don’t give up
Reply 2
Original post by Sickofanxiety
I'm in my final year of my degree. I'm starting writing my dissertation, due in May. Was supposed to submit a partial draft 3 weeks ago but I still haven't done that, have to face my supervisor soon so that'll be great. I'm pretty much 2 months behind on everything.

I'm on anti-depressants but not therapy or whatever. Drugs haven't helped yet 3 months in so they're a waste of time.

I'm struggling with life in general. I think I could probably scrape a pass in all of my exams if that was all I had to do, but the dissertation I think is beyond me. Not helping that depression => dissertation takes more effort => feels like it's a neverending task that I'll never get anywhere with => depression worse.

I spoke to someone at uni before christmas who said I could either take a leave of absence or drop out altogether (would get BSc rather than integrated masters). I am very much leaning towards dropping out, but most of my family say I should keep going, "only 5 months left". My mum just said she can't make my decision for me.

Is there any hope that I can get past this? Has anyone else managed to get their dissertation done despite depression? Should I just give up before I give in to the suicidal thoughts?

I can see both sides of the coin? Whilst I agree that you do only have what is effectively 1/8th of your degree left to complete and it would be a shame to not try one last push to get through it, my last 6 months of my degree were some of the hardest I've ever faced.

I was dealing with depression, anxiety and a lot of other personal problems at the same time. I did manage to complete my dissertation, my finals and go to PGCE interviews all at the same time (I don't know but I managed it). I graduated with my BSc - a 2.i in Psychology but there were definitely times like you're feeling right now, that I thought I might as well give it up.

It's definitely a decision only you can make (so I agree with your mum in that respect). If you don't mind me asking, what antidepressant are you and is it the first one you've tried?
Original post by Deyesy
I can see both sides of the coin? Whilst I agree that you do only have what is effectively 1/8th of your degree left to complete and it would be a shame to not try one last push to get through it, my last 6 months of my degree were some of the hardest I've ever faced.

I was dealing with depression, anxiety and a lot of other personal problems at the same time. I did manage to complete my dissertation, my finals and go to PGCE interviews all at the same time (I don't know but I managed it). I graduated with my BSc - a 2.i in Psychology but there were definitely times like you're feeling right now, that I thought I might as well give it up.

It's definitely a decision only you can make (so I agree with your mum in that respect). If you don't mind me asking, what antidepressant are you and is it the first one you've tried?

I'm on sertraline, yeah it's the first one I've tried. Next time I see my GP I'm going to ask her to either up the dose or try something new because this just isn't doing anything.

In terms of the "one last push", I feel like I've already tried that. I wanted to drop out in September, before I even realised what was wrong with me. Then I started treatment and felt like I should give it another go, but it's now February and the thought of going to a lecture in 2 days makes me just want to cry.
Reply 4
I'm on sertraline, yeah it's the first one I've tried. Next time I see my GP I'm going to ask her to either up the dose or try something new because this just isn't doing anything.

In terms of the "one last push", I feel like I've already tried that. I wanted to drop out in September, before I even realised what was wrong with me. Then I started treatment and felt like I should give it another go, but it's now February and the thought of going to a lecture in 2 days makes me just want to cry.

I tried Citalopram initially and it didn't do anything for me and it's not unheard of for the first medication people try to not be the one that works for them. It was the 2nd medication I tried that worked for me so when you next see your GP, it'd definitely be an idea to either try something new or up the dose.

If it's something you've considered for some time, I'd say to go with your gut? University is tough and even tougher when mental health gets involved and as you mentioned before, you'd leave with a BSc which ultimately isn't a bad thing! It'd be worth getting in touch with your personal tutor (if you're not already) and talking this through with them.

It might be worth postponing your studies instead of dropping out completely? That way you can give yourself a break mental health wise but still give yourself options in terms of what to do next.
Original post by Deyesy
I tried Citalopram initially and it didn't do anything for me and it's not unheard of for the first medication people try to not be the one that works for them. It was the 2nd medication I tried that worked for me so when you next see your GP, it'd definitely be an idea to either try something new or up the dose.

If it's something you've considered for some time, I'd say to go with your gut? University is tough and even tougher when mental health gets involved and as you mentioned before, you'd leave with a BSc which ultimately isn't a bad thing! It'd be worth getting in touch with your personal tutor (if you're not already) and talking this through with them.

It might be worth postponing your studies instead of dropping out completely? That way you can give yourself a break mental health wise but still give yourself options in terms of what to do next.

yeah, I think if even one more of my family had done the whole "it's up to you" thing I'd have dropped out by now, I just feel like a failure because they all think I can do it.

I spoke to my personal tutor before but I think I'll try and see her again and ask about postponing/withdrawing. I guess I can always take a leave of absence and then decide to withdraw anyway?
Reply 6

Yup. It's possible. With lots of red bulls. Study drugs help too. Disclaimer: don't use these drugs blah blah blah they are only for people with adhd blah blah blah
Reply 7
yeah, I think if even one more of my family had done the whole "it's up to you" thing I'd have dropped out by now, I just feel like a failure because they all think I can do it.

I spoke to my personal tutor before but I think I'll try and see her again and ask about postponing/withdrawing. I guess I can always take a leave of absence and then decide to withdraw anyway?

Options are definitely not a bad thing - leave of absence at least gives you that :smile:
Hey,
sorry to hear about your personal issues. When I was in my final year of uni my dad comitted suicide a week before xmas and it really threw me off, resulting in anxiety and depression. I really struggled with just finding motivation to get out of bed, let alone do uni work.

Talk to someone in your SU. Get therapy. Trust me it helps. I was given the option, and actually encouraged, to take a leave of absence but absolutely refused to do so as I just wanted the damn degree to be over and done with. I was sick of it. I spoke to my project supervisor and she was so supportive, she was actually the one who signposted me to the correct member of staff to persue therapy.

What you need to bare in mind is that they are there to help you and want you to pass, because if you fail, it refelcts badly on them so they will do what they can to help if you are dead sure you don't want to take a leave of absence.

That being said, I do partly wish I had taken the leave of absence because even though I ended up getting a first in my dissertation, I failed three of my other modules and barely scraped a pass in the other and as a result I am having to retake the three failed exams externally otherwise I won't get funding for my Postgrad studies.

I hope this helps and if you ever need someone to talk to, drop me a message :smile:

I'm on Setraline too. Finding the stress of stuff going on in my personal life and the course work on the PGCE just too much.

Quick Reply

Latest