The Student Room Group

Tissue fluid

Can someone explain to me what tissue fluid is and what it does please?
Original post by Lana_Lugton

Tissue fluid is made up of plasma which is the non-cellular liquid portion of blood. Tissue fluid occupies the extra-cellular space around cells and outside of blood vessels and lymph vessels. It’s helps with the transfer of nutrients and gaseous exchange between cells and the blood supply.
Reply 2
Original post by Lana_Lugton

Just as @Ambitious1999 has said, it essentially bathes the tissues, aiding the transfer of nutrients from the capillaries to the tissues and also aiding the removal of metabolic waste products, such as carbon dioxide, from the tissues to the blood. When blood enters the arteriolar end of the capillary, tissue fluid (essentially blood minus plasma proteins, red blood cells, white blood cells) is squeezed out of the capillary into the extracellular space surrounding the cells. Most of this tissue fluid is eventually reabsorbed at the venular end of the capillary (where the hydrostatic pressure is a bit lower and the oncotic pressure from the plasma proteins is a bit higher). However, a small amount remains and this is returned to the circulation via the lymphatic system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending