The Student Room Group

Curious to make music

Ok so I’ve been thinking for a while and am very curious to start making music. I am currently unsure what type of songs e.g. melodic songs or rap songs. Also, I have no equipment at all to start creating so does anyone know what equipment i would need to just start recording my voice and putting the instrumental together to create a song. I can find free instrumentals on youtube. I am thinking of posting on Soundcloud at first or maybe youtube. Any suggestions and advice?

Scroll to see replies

well it depends on what you want to be, an Ed Sheeran or a Martin Garrix :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by hello_shawn

Well i guess the type of music i listen to is Hip Hop such as artists like Lil Skies, Juice WRLD, those hip hop artists
Reply 3
Original post by hello_shawn
Or, alternatively, a musician.
Original post by Tootles
Or, alternatively, a musician.

He listens to hip hop so he wants to be heard on Kiss and 1Xtra, not Radio 2 :wink:
Original post by cbains02
Ok so I’ve been thinking for a while and am very curious to start making music. I am currently unsure what type of songs e.g. melodic songs or rap songs. Also, I have no equipment at all to start creating so does anyone know what equipment i would need to just start recording my voice and putting the instrumental together to create a song. I can find free instrumentals on youtube. I am thinking of posting on Soundcloud at first or maybe youtube. Any suggestions and advice?

Just start using FL studio or something like that to discover what your style is!
Reply 6
Original post by Valentino_
Just start using FL studio or something like that to discover what your style is!

Yeah i heard minimal equipment is microphone and FL studio but im not really sure how to use the program and them 2 alone are both worth around £150
Reply 7
Original post by alan55
I'm in the same boat! Making my own music is my old dream. I found many useful articles about free vst synths for music producers and tutorials for beginners recently. Hope with its help I'll be able to make my first track in the near future.

Yeah I’ve got no equipment or anything lol so im just dreaming for now
Mac's come with GarageBand already on them. Failing that, there's a few other free options out there to get you started on your journey. Good luck!
get a mic and an instrument and learn to sing whilst playing if you want to
anything else is optional and unnecessary
If you want to make rap songs I think the best thing to do is to pirate a copy of Fl studio 12 and start making some fire beats which you can rap on. Make a YouTube channel and try to put up a song like once a month and once you’ve reached like 50k subs contact channels like world star, link up or bbc xtra to gain exposure idk just some ideas x x x
Reply 11
Original post by young bison
If you want to make rap songs I think the best thing to do is to pirate a copy of Fl studio 12 and start making some fire beats which you can rap on. Make a YouTube channel and try to put up a song like once a month and once you’ve reached like 50k subs contact channels like world star, link up or bbc xtra to gain exposure idk just some ideas x x x

Yeah something like this thanks, thing is i found a pirate copy but i dont think my computer has enough space and/or there’s lots of steps beforehand you have to do which makes it more difficult
Original post by cbains02
Yeah something like this thanks, thing is i found a pirate copy but i dont think my computer has enough space and/or there’s lots of steps beforehand you have to do which makes it more difficult

I get you bro it is complicated I can’t remember how I did it but there’s other options I mean u could buy a maschine or a akai mov, so an independent unit with minimal need for a laptop and make beats only on that
Reply 13
Original post by young bison
I get you bro it is complicated I can’t remember how I did it but there’s other options I mean u could buy a maschine or a akai mov, so an independent unit with minimal need for a laptop and make beats only on that

Yeah i need the equipment like mic, mic stand etc but I’m making excuses such as school and stuff. I need to make something happen
I am in a similar situation, I have already learnt to play guitar, ukulele and I'm learning piano at the moment. The sad thing is, I have songs written, I have the melody, but I don't know how to record it, what do I need besides mic and a stand? And even worse is my voice - I can't sing, I mean I CAN sing in tune but my voice is just ugly af. Are there any tips/secret hacks for how to make your voice sound good on recording? I have searched all YouTube and every possible app I'm afraid, but I still have no idea.
I've been a producer for 10+ years, worked with some local artists with various genres, mainly house, hip hop and grime. You don't need much kit if you're looking to make electronic music like hip hop - just a decent laptop, best mic you can afford a decent set of studio monitors. The software you can just pirate, or if you're not gonna be making beats yourself and just recording and mixing tracks yourself then you could use free software like Audacity (not sure what the plugins are like on it though, whereas FL Studio is packed with VSTs).
Original post by angelstoflyyx
I am in a similar situation, I have already learnt to play guitar, ukulele and I'm learning piano at the moment. The sad thing is, I have songs written, I have the melody, but I don't know how to record it, what do I need besides mic and a stand? And even worse is my voice - I can't sing, I mean I CAN sing in tune but my voice is just ugly af. Are there any tips/secret hacks for how to make your voice sound good on recording? I have searched all YouTube and every possible app I'm afraid, but I still have no idea.

Problem is, if you've got a good voice but can't hold a tune perfectly, there are workarounds - whereas if your voice just doesn't sound good on a record despite being able to hit notes, there's not much you can do about that.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I've been a producer for 10+ years, worked with some local artists with various genres, mainly house, hip hop and grime. You don't need much kit if you're looking to make electronic music like hip hop - just a decent laptop, best mic you can afford a decent set of studio monitors. The software you can just pirate, or if you're not gonna be making beats yourself and just recording and mixing tracks yourself then you could use free software like Audacity (not sure what the plugins are like on it though, whereas FL Studio is packed with VSTs).

Alright and what about other genres? Like acoustic, pop or rock? I think it is a bigger issue there.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Problem is, if you've got a good voice but can't hold a tune perfectly, there are workarounds - whereas if your voice just doesn't sound good on a record despite being able to hit notes, there's not much you can do about that.

Yeah but how many artists of today's world actually have a bad voice but the technology does the work for them? I would like to do a similar trick, just to maybe finally have a song on my own that doesn't sound really bad
Original post by angelstoflyyx
Alright and what about other genres? Like acoustic, pop or rock? I think it is a bigger issue there.

Pop is again mostly electronic, though some forms also feature acoustic instruments. Though yeah, for genres that feature instruments, well obviously you'll need instruments for those :rofl: Doesn't sound like OP is interested in that kinda thing though.

Quick Reply

Latest