The Student Room Group

PPE courses

Manchester or York PPE?
Taking into account the course reputation, the university's reputation, student satisfaction and any other key factors
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Hollyg0
Manchester or York PPE?
Taking into account the course reputation, the university's reputation, student satisfaction and any other key factors

The most important consideration is which course you prefer. Compare modules and optional modules for all years of the course and decide which interests you the most.
Original post by Hollyg0
Manchester or York PPE?

It depends on whether you have offers. If you do, go to Manchester
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
The most important consideration is which course you prefer. Compare modules and optional modules for all years of the course and decide which interests you the most.

How significant is it that York is a BA (Hons) whereas Manchester is simply a BA, or does it make no difference at all?
Original post by Hollyg0
I've heard York has a better course though as it has been around far longer than the Manchester course?

Being in existence for longer don't not necessarily mean that it would be better quality.
Reply 5
Original post by Wired_1800
Being in existence for longer don't not necessarily mean that it would be better quality.

I meant that generally it is seen as the better course because it is more established and refined - which by looking at the modules does appear to be the case
Original post by Hollyg0
I meant that generally it is seen as the better course because it is more established and refined - which by looking at the modules does appear to be the case

Do you have offers from both? Since you are defending York, it makes sense to go there.
Original post by Hollyg0
How significant is it that York is a BA (Hons) whereas Manchester is simply a BA, or does it make no difference at all?

I think it's just the way Manchester lists all degree names on its website (they will be hons).

As I said above, choosing the course you want to study should be your priority. Then look at location, accommodation (Manchester has had problems housing students in recent years), entertainment, transport, etc.

Rankings don't count for much. They are both good unis.
Reply 8
Original post by Wired_1800
Do you have offers from both? Since you are defending York, it makes sense to go there.

I haven't sent my application off yet but I was more just curious why you were so sure that Manchester was the better of the two when I've heard generally about the York course being the better constructed course.
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
I think it's just the way Manchester lists all degree names on its website (they will be hons).

As I said above, choosing the course you want to study should be your priority. Then look at location, accommodation (Manchester has had problems housing students in recent years), entertainment, transport, etc.

Rankings don't count for much. They are both good unis.

I think I prefer the module options and accommodation at York but for the location and music scene I prefer Manchester - not too sure which to prioritise yet
Original post by Hollyg0
I haven't sent my application off yet but I was more just curious why you were so sure that Manchester was the better of the two when I've heard generally about the York course being the better constructed course.

Manchester is a better uni than York. I do not know much about the strength of their PPE courses. If you are looking for strength, then go to Oxford.

I am jot sure why you are asking these questions when you have not even submitted an application. You don't know whether you will receive an offer.

My suggestion is to apply then make the decision when you have offers.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Hollyg0
I think I prefer the module options and accommodation at York but for the location and music scene I prefer Manchester - not too sure which to prioritise yet

Apply to both and make a decision.

Your thread is a like another member last year or so, who was asking about Imperial vs Cambridge. There was a mini-debate on the thread based on which one was better. They were rejected from both and went to UCL in the end.
Original post by Hollyg0
My predicted grades are strong and I am applying for deferral so I have two attempts at getting into the unis anyway. I would like to think I can get an offer from York who give AAB offers and MCR who give AAA offers. Naturally I will make a decision once I receive offers but I thought I would start researching now so I can be prepared and not stress about it when I do have to make the final decision.
I don't know what criteria you are basing the statement 'Manchester is a better uni than York', but thank you for your advice.

That’s fine. I personally prefer to make decisions with concrete steps i.e. offers rather than hypothetical scenarios (which is currently the case).

Manchester is ranked higher as an overall uni in world rankings. I would also argue that it is more popular than York.
Original post by Hollyg0
Yeah I totally get that and I'm the same. This isn't me making a decision on my uni at all it's simply me just scoping out the public opinion of each course - which I don't think it's ever too early to do, especially as I'm not as busy as I will be when I'm back at school.

Ok, no problem. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending