The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

For some reason my school has made the GCSE options earlier, i need to complete my options forms by tomorrow (Monday 11 February) and i’m really stresssing over what to pick, does anyone have any advice on what things i should consider or definitely not choose? ATM i’m considering a job in the music or art industry and i’m definitely taking ICT as a GCSE.
Take Spanish man. I'm Spanish boy and I can help you
Anything you enjoy.

If you pick subjects based on what other tell you to, you will hate your timetable and not want to put any work into your subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by Boliviabba
Take Spanish man. I'm Spanish boy and I can help you

My school has French other than Spanish for some reason
Original post by o k a y
My school has French other than Spanish for some reason

You decide . French is good as well. What do you think ?
Original post by o k a y
For some reason my school has made the GCSE options earlier, i need to complete my options forms by tomorrow (Monday 11 February) and i’m really stresssing over what to pick, does anyone have any advice on what things i should consider or definitely not choose? ATM i’m considering a job in the music or art industry and i’m definitely taking ICT as a GCSE.

same im stressing about my GCSEs as well (im in yr9) its so hard to pick! just pick something that you enjoy, good luck! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Boliviabba
You decide . French is good as well. What do you think ?

I really enjoy French and i put a lot of effort into it but i don’t think i’d take it as a GCSE, i can definitely see why people would though.
Reply 7
Pick things that you enjoy is the best way to go, I’d say try to have a mixture of essay subjects and practical subjects if you’re not sure , eg history with art or dt or whatever. Pick subjects you’re good at and enjoy and that you can see yourself working in :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by emmaas
same im stressing about my GCSEs as well (im in yr9) its so hard to pick! just pick something that you enjoy, good luck! :smile:

Try French! It's really fun.. especially if you have an interest in learning languages, the culture and are willing to dedicate some personal time into it since it's a whole new language :smile:
There are also a lot of free french resources out there to help with learning it which will be helpful for you if you pick it
Original post by o k a y

Avoid doing classes that have a lot of course work. I did food tech and media studies. It was a lot of work. I legit had to come into school an hour early and stay after to get the stuff done. If you do classes with course work then try getting only one that makes you do course work.
Reply 11
Original post by Mruczega
Avoid doing classes that have a lot of course work. I did food tech and media studies. It was a lot of work. I legit had to come into school an hour early and stay after to get the stuff done. If you do classes with course work then try getting only one that makes you do course work.

Noted. Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by o k a y

Update: I think i’ve decided on my final options.
As my main three options i think i’m going to do Art, ICT, and Music
As my reserves ive picked Geography, Product Design, and Health & Social Care
For option X* im thinking Sociology but i’m kind of confused about option x
*Option X is basically a fourth option that only students in the top 2 sets for maths get to choose, however you have to pick out of 4 available subjects. I cant remember well right now but i think they were Sociology, Computer Science, History and Geography. Tomorrow in school i’ll try to change as about a month ago i and others from my class were to choose then and i picked Computer Science because i didn’t know what’s to pick and they said i could change it whenever before the GCSE’s are in place
Reply 13
Original post by Namjoongang
Try French! It's really fun.. especially if you have an interest in learning languages, the culture and are willing to dedicate some personal time into it since it's a whole new language :smile:
There are also a lot of free french resources out there to help with learning it which will be helpful for you if you pick it

I’ll definitely consider it. I’m just not sure what careers it will help me with
Reply 14
Original post by Deggs_14
Pick things that you enjoy is the best way to go, I’d say try to have a mixture of essay subjects and practical subjects if you’re not sure , eg history with art or dt or whatever. Pick subjects you’re good at and enjoy and that you can see yourself working in :smile:

I’ll definitely try that, thanks :smile:
Original post by o k a y
I’ll definitely consider it. I’m just not sure what careers it will help me with

I wouldn't recommend it. Won't really be that useful plus you can learn a language anytime
Original post by o k a y

It can get you into many careers tbh! It's especially beneficial for work abroad and translating jobs too!
Having knowledge of a second language is also attractive to employers too since it can expand business links with companies from different places :smile:
It can be helpful in getting into things like Teaching (English in a foreign country/french in England), Marketing, Sales distributing, Media work, Tourism, Charity work, Linguistics, Fashion buying/distributing, Translating/interpreting, Journalism and can even be beneficial if you ever want to become a lawyer since international law firms always have offices all over the world. It can get you into a range of different jobs but if none of these are appealing to you, remember employers will often value people who speak a second international language more than other candidates.
Original post by o k a y

Take the subjects you love: based on what you have said, art, music and ICT are already gcse options. For the last one, maybe a language, or history/geography?
If you want to go to uni, your GCSE options do not matter for the industries you specified so please choose only what you enjoy. If you want to take A-levem music later for example though or Art, it may be wise to get a gcse in them so more colleges can accept you.

Quick Reply

Latest