The Student Room Group

This is the issue with contextual offers

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/the-university-contextual-offer-system-needs-to-be-reformed-and-heres-why

Here’s an article explaining some of the issues surrounding contextual offers. We’re seeing a rise in people receiving offers from certain universities with lowered grade requirements for seemingly no reason. Is the system broken and in need of change? What would be the best way to solve the problem? Share your opinion here!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was thinking about this the other day. Contextual offers are a bit meh, in my opinion they should look at something like Benefits, first person in university, if they attended a private school because it took years of savings and many sacrifices, etc. I'd say that it's broken.
Reply 2
Original post by Crow_M
I was thinking about this the other day. Contextual offers are a bit meh, in my opinion they should look at something like Benefits, first person in university, if they attended a private school because it took years of savings and many sacrifices, etc. I'd say that it's broken.

This also applies to ACORN and POLAR. What if someone lived in a deprived area for their whole life and moved to a POLAR 1-2 area? They wouldn't get a POLAR offer because of this.

@BrasenoseAdm
Thoughts?
Original post by notdyls
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/the-university-contextual-offer-system-needs-to-be-reformed-and-heres-why

We’re seeing a rise in people receiving offers from certain universities with lowered grade requirements for seemingly no reason. Is the system broken and in need of change? What would be the best way to solve the problem? Share your opinion here!

...which unis give contextual offers just for being from a state school?

The ones I've seen use state school that's below the X% for HE access/attainment AND coming from an area of low HE participation from POLAR3 data amongst various other factors

But it would be interesting for my own knowledge if there are some that solely give out offers just because you're from a state school.
Original post by notdyls

We’re seeing a rise in people receiving offers from certain universities with lowered grade requirements for seemingly no reason. Is the system broken and in need of change? What would be the best way to solve the problem? Share your opinion here!

The article was interesting and quite thought-provoking because I have never really questioned contextual offers before. Overall, I still think they're a good idea but they do need to be properly applied. If you come from a disadvantaged area or from a poorly performing school, then it's fair enought to give contextual offers - but they shouldn't be given out too freely or it devalues them (bit like unconditional offers, in that sense)

Still, I don't think the private school/grammar kids have to worry too much just yet that their state school counterparts will be running off with all the best Uni places!
Reply 5
Original post by Blue_Cow
...which unis give contextual offers just for being from a state school?

The ones I've seen use state school that's below the X% for HE access/attainment AND coming from an area of low HE participation from POLAR3 data amongst various other factors

But it would be interesting for my own knowledge if there are some that solely give out offers just because you're from a state school.

The POLAR3 can be unrepresentative though.

Original post by Crow_M
This also applies to ACORN and POLAR. What if someone lived in a deprived area for their whole life and moved to a POLAR 1-2 area? They wouldn't get a POLAR offer because of this.

@BrasenoseAdm
Thoughts?
Reply 6
Original post by Crow_M

@BrasenoseAdm
Thoughts?

Oxbridge doesn't give a reduced offer for contextual circumstances. And is pretty well aware of the limitations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Crow_M
The POLAR3 can be unrepresentative though.

I get that, but the OP is suggesting that some universities give out contextual offers just for going to a state school without any other factors/stats. I'm wondering which ones.

I'm quite aware of the flaws when it comes to datasets. I'm not saying any one particular metric is perfect.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
Oxbridge doesn't give a reduced offer for contextual circumstances. And is pretty well aware of the limitations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

However you're more likely to be interviewed, which is, to be honest, the hardest part.

Like, what if you're from a POLAR 2 area yet you went to a low performing school? As you said, there's limitations, which in my opinion could be improved by looking at criteria that's similar to, let's say, UNIQ.
Reply 9
I get that, but the OP is suggesting that some universities give out contextual offers just for going to a state school without any other factors/stats. I'm wondering which ones.

I'm quite aware of the flaws when it comes to datasets. I'm not saying any one particular metric is perfect.

That's an interesting one, I know that Cardiff may give a reduced offer if you're the first of your family that'll go to uni and you get a guaranteed interview for healthcare subjects, but I haven't heard of one which solely reduces offers for state school applicants.

I'm quite aware of the flaws when it comes to datasets.

Not what youre talking about but I know some Cambridge colleges are more willing to give an offer to a state schooler than a private schooler if they have similar grades
Original post by Afterlife?
Not what youre talking about but I know some Cambridge colleges are more willing to give an offer to a state schooler than a private schooler if they have similar grades

@Doonesbury
Reply 12
Original post by Crow_M
That's an interesting one, I know that Cardiff may give a reduced offer if you're the first of your family that'll go to uni and you get a guaranteed interview for healthcare subjects, but I haven't heard of one which solely reduces offers for state school applicants.

Bristol does if your school is underperforming, not just any state school.
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/
Reply 13
Original post by Afterlife?

There's more to it than just a state school.

Usually only if the school is also underperforming, not just a state grammar or Hills Road.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/contextual-data
Reply 14

On it already... :five:
Original post by Crow_M

I think it's silly when Unis make reduced offers on the "first of your family to go to Uni" criteria because anyone could tick that box couldn't they? How can they tell if you're telling the truth? They should stick to criteria they can tell is factually accurate, in my opinion.
(edited 5 years ago)
The article does not really raise any new points, I kinda skimmed through it I admit but just to sum it up, the person is saying that each applicant should be individually assessed rather than ticking all the boxes for a contextual offer. I mean, they already are individually assessed and that leads to the ticking of the boxes. Overall, there is nothing wrong with contextual offers. It might anger the posh, independent school kids but who cares
Reply 17
Original post by Crow_M
That's an interesting one, I know that Cardiff may give a reduced offer if you're the first of your family that'll go to uni .

Original post by harrysbar
I think it's silly when Unis make reduced offers on the "first of your family to go to Uni" criteria because anyone could tick that box couldn't they? How can they tell if you're telling the truth? They should stick to criteria they can tell is factually accurate, in my opinion.

Where does Cardiff say they do that?

Not here they don't...
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/contextual-data
Reply 18
Original post by Crow_M

I agree that they should consider other factors like those, but how do you think it should be done? Its hard to adapt for unique circumstances unless you literally allow the applicatnt to explain why they think they should get a reduced offer, which would bring along issues of its own. Will the system be abused? Will unis themselves be willing to sort through all this extra information that they're getting?
Original post by Doonesbury
Where does Cardiff say they do that?

Not here they don't...
https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/contextual-data

I don't know about Cardiff (I didn't mention Cardiff, the other poster did) but I am aware of Unis asking whether applicants are the first one in the family to attend Higher Education and students may tick that box if they think it will incur some advantage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending