The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to unis above my predicted grades?

I want to apply to English and Spanish in Edinburgh and Exeter. Their standard offers are AAA and AAB but their contextual (which I will get after checking my post code on the pol4r website) is ABB. I got predicted BCC but my application will be BBB. I got such low grades as I haven't been revising due to mental health issues, and getting my predicted grades has made me start revising, and I feel it is in my ability to get at least ABB in the real thing.

However, I'm not sure if the unis see this. They will probably decline my offer as my grades are so much lower than others that apply, not only are they lower than the standard, but they are also lower than the contextual ones. I am hoping that since my course is unpopular that that may change something. My other 3 options are on par with my BBB grades. Should I visit my teacher after the half term is over to ask about increasing my grade as I need it to apply, and if this fails, should I drop these two options or is it worth keeping them as I'd love to study there, and without any higher grade unis, I may end up feeling unmotivated.
Edinburgh rejects half the people who apply. They are a very risky choice.

Exeter makes offers to almost everyone who applies and would be worth applying to with predictions slightly below their contextual offer. You have 5 choices so using a couple for universities that make offers above your predictions is fine as long as you think you can exceed your predictions and you have some other choices with lower requirements that you would be happy with
Reply 2
Deciding whether to apply to universities above your predicted grades is a pivotal choice. While reaching for the stars can be motivating, it's essential to consider the potential challenges and opportunities involved. This article examines the pros and cons of aiming higher in your university applications and offers insights to help you make an informed decision about your educational future.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Edinburgh rejects half the people who apply. They are a very risky choice.

Exeter makes offers to almost everyone who applies and would be worth applying to with predictions slightly below their contextual offer. You have 5 choices so using a couple for universities that make offers above your predictions is fine as long as you think you can exceed your predictions and you have some other choices with lower requirements that you would be happy with

I definitely think I can get AAB if I really really try, which I plan on doing. The worry was if I applied to somewhere above my requirements (even just one grade above) it seems like they'll just not even consider my application. Do you think then I can apply to places with ABB with BBB, as currently all of my choices lie on BBB, which doesn't really give me that much drive to study as ABB would.

EDIT: I have applied to Exeter and Bristol as my aspirational choices, with Kings College and Glasgow as choices I am on par with and Dundee as an insurance choice. Thanks for your advice, I feel as though I have something to work towards.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending