The Student Room Group

adding predicteds when i don't know if i'll resit

Basically i did my a levels last year, got BBB and ended up taking a gap year. I'm reapplying now and the contextual offers for my courses are BBB, with the standard being AAB. I do qualify for the contextual offer for all my unis, but my old tutor has said she's happy to predict me AAA, which i believe would help me massively in getting into uni. So if they offer me BBB, and i'm predicted AAA, do i still have to retake? if you apply with predicted grades, do you have to do the exams even if you already meet the criteria? any help would be appreciated, thanks so much :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Check with individual Unis as some will only consider grades at 1st sittings. I know that is case for Scottish Highers but not sure about A-Levels
Reply 2
Original post by CrimsonFlower
Check with individual Unis as some will only consider grades at 1st sittings. I know that is case for Scottish Highers but not sure about A-Levels

I've checked and all of mine accept resits thankfully :smile:
Original post by sunnysoda
Basically i did my a levels last year, got BBB and ended up taking a gap year. I'm reapplying now and the contextual offers for my courses are BBB, with the standard being AAB. I do qualify for the contextual offer for all my unis, but my old tutor has said she's happy to predict me AAA, which i believe would help me massively in getting into uni. So if they offer me BBB, and i'm predicted AAA, do i still have to retake? if you apply with predicted grades, do you have to do the exams even if you already meet the criteria? any help would be appreciated, thanks so much :smile:

why would you be predicted an AAA if you have already done your a levels, got BBB and didn't resit the year?
Reply 4
Original post by ultimatequeen
why would you be predicted an AAA if you have already done your a levels, got BBB and didn't resit the year?

because i'm submitting my application as a private candidate and am unsure if i'm going to resit or not, so my tutor said she was willing to just put them as AAA while i decided for my application as those were my predicteds last year
(edited 1 year ago)
If you say in your UCAS application that you are resitting, then you have to resit. Offers if conditional will be based on the resit result, or they may give you an unconditional offer based on the results you have. If you later decide you are not resisting, you have to write to all your unis (well the ones that haven’t rejected you) to let them know you will not be resisting. If you have any conditional offers before then, based on you resisting, I would expect those to be withdrawn.
Reply 6
Original post by Typhoons
If you say in your UCAS application that you are resitting, then you have to resit. Offers if conditional will be based on the resit result, or they may give you an unconditional offer based on the results you have. If you later decide you are not resisting, you have to write to all your unis (well the ones that haven’t rejected you) to let them know you will not be resisting. If you have any conditional offers before then, based on you resisting, I would expect those to be withdrawn.

So if i apply to unis with BBB contextual and AAA predicted, and achieve an offer for BBB as i meet the contextual, i don't have to still resit? And can just accept with my current grades?
So if i apply to unis with BBB contextual and AAA predicted, and achieve an offer for BBB as i meet the contextual, i don't have to still resit? And can just accept with my current grades?

If you are eligible for a contextual offer and already meet it with your existing grades, you’ll likely receive unconditional offers. You can then confirm with those choices that you’ll no longer be retaking. There is almost no chance they will have any issue at that point.
No, it depends on what offer they give you. They may give you an unconditional offer based on the grades you have, a conditional offer based on the A level you are going to resit or no offer all ( despite already having BBB) May be you have already BBB but they don’t want to give you and offer because of the rest of your application or the strength of other applicants, so they may say you need to get AAB. So you would need a A’s in your resit.
Reply 9
Original post by Typhoons
No, it depends on what offer they give you. They may give you an unconditional offer based on the grades you have, a conditional offer based on the A level you are going to resit or no offer all ( despite already having BBB) May be you have already BBB but they don’t want to give you and offer because of the rest of your application or the strength of other applicants, so they may say you need to get AAB. So you would need a A’s in your resit.

So they could give me an offer for BBB, but say that it must be this years BBB?
So they could give me an offer for BBB, but say that it must be this years BBB?

Theoretically they could do that to compare you to this years applicants (pre covid grading from 2023 exams), but I suspect it may be unlikely. Depends on the course and how competitive it is.
Reply 11

I’m in the exact same situation as your rn, please please could you reply and let me know if you ended up resitting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending