The Student Room Group

is dt textiles good or bad to take for gcse?

hello! im am in year 9 and have to pick my GCSEs I was wondering if any of you have experience in DT textiles and if its good / bad, if its worth taking for gcse, what skills you have to have etc....
thanks for you help!
if you enjoy the subject then go for it:smile: bear in mind there's coursework in the subject too.
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
if you enjoy the subject then go for it:smile: bear in mind there's coursework in the subject too.

thank you for taking time to reply to my message! everyone here is so nice! do you have any experience or are you in yr 10/11 or done your gcses? its so hard to decide i jus dont know. i also have drama in mind so have no idea what to choose. :smile::smile:
Original post by emmaas
thank you for taking time to reply to my message! everyone here is so nice! do you have any experience or are you in yr 10/11 or done your gcses? its so hard to decide i jus dont know. i also have drama in mind so have no idea what to choose. :smile::smile:

no worries :smile:
i didn't do a dt, sorry! both textiles and drama are fine subject choices though- do you think you express a stronger preference for either of them or plan to do it at a level etc?
I really enjoyed textiles.

Didn’t go into a career in fashion/art or anything so really the only think I got from it was being able to sew really well still to this day (it’s surprising how many people don’t know how to sew)

If you like the subject then go for it
Reply 5
Original post by del1rious
I really enjoyed textiles.

Didn’t go into a career in fashion/art or anything so really the only think I got from it was being able to sew really well still to this day (it’s surprising how many people don’t know how to sew)

If you like the subject then go for it

hi, thank you for replying! yeah its a really hard choice was the coursework hard and did it take away a lot of time from studying other subjects? it is a hard subject as often i am quite a perfectionist and critique my own work a lot and therefore am quite slow at making the practcal work. :smile:
Reply 6
no worries :smile:
i didn't do a dt, sorry! both textiles and drama are fine subject choices though- do you think you express a stronger preference for either of them or plan to do it at a level etc?

to be honest i have no idea about future plans for myself, its just so hard to decide what to do. theres like so many options of jobs to choose from yet at the same time not many at all. i just hope to do well! thank you again for your help, its much appriceated:wink:
Original post by emmaas
to be honest i have no idea about future plans for myself, its just so hard to decide what to do. theres like so many options of jobs to choose from yet at the same time not many at all. i just hope to do well! thank you again for your help, its much appriceated:wink:

yeah there's plenty of options out there:wink:
if you really can't decide you could try talking to your teachers about it and seeing which one you're stronger at perhaps? either way, choosing one of these subjects won't close the doors in the future:nah: a creative subject is good to balance out the academic ones:tongue:
:smile:
Original post by emmaas
hi, thank you for replying! yeah its a really hard choice was the coursework hard and did it take away a lot of time from studying other subjects? it is a hard subject as often i am quite a perfectionist and critique my own work a lot and therefore am quite slow at making the practcal work. :smile:

There was a lot of coursework but it was manageable if you were organised. I got a B in the end, could have gotten an A if I put in a bit more effort. I really enjoyed the practical side of it though and if you are interested in fashion/ art then you won’t find the coursework a chore.
Reply 9
Original post by del1rious
There was a lot of coursework but it was manageable if you were organised. I got a B in the end, could have gotten an A if I put in a bit more effort. I really enjoyed the practical side of it though and if you are interested in fashion/ art then you won’t find the coursework a chore.

ok thank you so much! :wink:
yeah there's plenty of options out there:wink:
if you really can't decide you could try talking to your teachers about it and seeing which one you're stronger at perhaps? either way, choosing one of these subjects won't close the doors in the future:nah: a creative subject is good to balance out the academic ones:tongue:
:smile:

i think i've decided that i will take DT. thanks so much for your advice, its so nice for people to take time out of there day to help me! thanks again :smile: :colondollar:
Original post by emmaas
i think i've decided that i will take DT. thanks so much for your advice, its so nice for people to take time out of there day to help me! thanks again :smile: :colondollar:

it's no problem, hope options picking goes well:h: and don't be afraid if you have any more questions to ask!
:heart::hugs:
it's no problem, hope options picking goes well:h: and don't be afraid if you have any more questions to ask!
:heart::hugs:

wow your so nice haha <3 have you done your gcses? im so nervous to do them i feel like im going to get such bad scores! espesically in maths which i am so bad at!
Original post by emmaas
wow your so nice haha <3 have you done your gcses? im so nervous to do them i feel like im going to get such bad scores! espesically in maths which i am so bad at!

yeah i did them last year:tongue:
do lots of practice papers for maths! plenty of good math resources out there such as corbettmaths, mathsgenie and maths made easy:h: if you're consistent with your revision and practice i don't see how you couldn't do well:smile:
i walked out of maths paper 1 crying and ended up getting an 8 so sometimes you're not the best judge of your exam performance! and how you're performing at this moment does not necessarily reflect how you'll do in the real thing.
yeah i did them last year:tongue:
do lots of practice papers for maths! plenty of good math resources out there such as corbettmaths, mathsgenie and maths made easy:h: if you're consistent with your revision and practice i don't see how you couldn't do well:smile:
i walked out of maths paper 1 crying and ended up getting an 8 so sometimes you're not the best judge of your exam performance! and how you're performing at this moment does not necessarily reflect how you'll do in the real thing.

wow well done on your 8 in maths, thats amazing! that must have taken a lot of dedication! im actually stuck with a really bad teacher in maths this year and we dont learn much so its realy hard! i wish i could be naturally good at maths you know? ive always struggled in maths since primary school and just want to be good at it soo bad! :colondollar:
Original post by emmaas
wow well done on your 8 in maths, thats amazing! that must have taken a lot of dedication! im actually stuck with a really bad teacher in maths this year and we dont learn much so its realy hard! i wish i could be naturally good at maths you know? ive always struggled in maths since primary school and just want to be good at it soo bad! :colondollar:

aw that sucks! there is some really good revision guides out there though for maths:yes: (i used cgp) self teaching gcse maths can be done, but perhaps there's other teachers you could go to if you don't get particular topics
i'm not naturally good at maths either! takes a while for me to learn certain concepts and 'think mathematically' (yet i'm doing a level math lmao)- nothing wrong if you're not naturally good at maths- your abilities probably lie in other subjects and tendencies:yep:
aw that sucks! there is some really good revision guides out there though for maths:yes: (i used cgp) self teaching gcse maths can be done, but perhaps there's other teachers you could go to if you don't get particular topics
i'm not naturally good at maths either! takes a while for me to learn certain concepts and 'think mathematically' (yet i'm doing a level math lmao)- nothing wrong if you're not naturally good at maths- your abilities probably lie in other subjects and tendencies:yep:

yeah true I guess, I wish maths could be my strongest subject hahaha I also find it so hard to learn things as well, it takes me a long time to figure them out!
Original post by emmaas
yeah true I guess, I wish maths could be my strongest subject hahaha I also find it so hard to learn things as well, it takes me a long time to figure them out!

you'll get better the more you practice:yep:
Reply 18
Original post by Sophie4001

hi how is it cus i might pick it what grade do u think ur gonna get
hi i'm in yr 11 n just finishing my coursework for textiles, if you have a passion for textiles i def recommend, esp in yr 10 before the coursework questions are released you will either be doing theory in your classes or just practice work for your coursework which isn't v hard and can be quite fun. my advice would be to make sure you're always on top of the coursework as soon as you start, when your teacher sets internal deadlines even if they seen really early they're there for a reason. the coursework is quite hard work, make sure you're not just doing the work in class but outside of it as well. even though it can be quite tough its like that for p much every gcse. i wouldn't recommend taking dt if ur already taking another coursework subject, i'm taking art too and i've fallen behind in both bcs of how much work there is, so don't put urself through that if u don't have to. for skills, you should know how to do basic hand stitching, and maybe be able to use whatever machinery they have in ur schls dt department, like sewing machines, possibly laser cutters, etc. if u don't go and ask your teacher how easy it would be to learn in time to start your coursework. if your school has an embroidery machine i recommend asking your teacher to teach you how to use that for ur coursework instead of using machinery that timbers and systems students would be using, like laser cutters and 3d printers, bcs its much easier, and you won't be waiting in a queue to use it, depending on how many people are taking textiles in your year.
idk if that made much sense but yh hope that was helpful xx

Quick Reply

Latest