The Student Room Group

How to revise for maths GCSE

How do I revise for maths GCSE
Practise papers, mathswatch for the topics you struggle on.
It's all about doing it regularly
Go to the library with your friends, you can help each other out whenever you're stuck.
Past papers! I find these work the best for "fact based" (if that's a thing) subjects, as opposed to interpretation/essay ones.
Just print off about 4/5 of them, do the ones you can, then fill in what you don't from the mark scheme. Go over it until you're confident that, if those questions came up for real, you'd be able to do most of/all of them.

Also make sure you understand WHY things are what they are. Then you won't just apply concepts like a machine, you will know exactly what you're doing and why. This, in my experience, means you don't have to bother "memorising" anything because (especially with regular practice) you will understand it enough that it easily sticks for ages, as opposed to dropping out of your head a few days after revising it.

Example:
Quadratic formula, it looks horrible at first sight! If you get why it works and how to derive it, then it's much easier to remember. If it comes to it and you forget it in the exam, then you can just derive it from ax^2+bx+c anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Death Machine

Do Corbett maths 5 a day work sheets everyday. on Saturdays do a past paper in exam conditions mark the paper all the topics what you do wrong write them out and then what ever topics you got wrong that will be your revision for the following week. Go on maths genie it has exam booklets on every topic and in them booklets it has loads of exam questions. Once you have done all your revision for that week do the paper again on the Saturday and see if you have improved then do a new paper then repeat this process.

Closer to the exam time maths genie and Corbett maths do predictions papers and there own exam papers once you have completed all the papers there is.
Past papers
Original post by mchristopher
Past papers! I find these work the best for "fact based" (if that's a thing) subjects, as opposed to interpretation/essay ones.
Just print off about 4/5 of them, do the ones you can, then fill in what you don't from the mark scheme. Go over it until you're confident that, if those questions came up for real, you'd be able to do most of/all of them.

Also make sure you understand WHY things are what they are. Then you won't just apply concepts like a machine, you will know exactly what you're doing and why. This, in my experience, means you don't have to bother "memorising" anything because (especially with regular practice) you will understand it enough that it easily sticks for ages, as opposed to dropping out of your head a few days after revising it.

Example:
Quadratic formula, it looks horrible at first sight! If you get why it works and how to derive it, then it's much easier to remember. If it comes to it and you forget it in the exam, then you can just derive it from ax^2+bx+c anyway.

Do I revise before I do the past paper?
Do I revise before I do the past paper?

It's up to you. I personally just do what I can and then look up what I don't, write it in, and then go over it loads until I know I can do everything.
Maybe it would be better for some people to revise then do it.

Hey! Defo practice questions!! Try BBC Bitesize aas well!
Good Luck!
Sophia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest