The Student Room Group

Amazon helps out in the stabbing crisis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
Funny thing is I could go to my local tesco and get a knife better than these ones, I could even go to my local camping store and get something better, hell I could even go downstairs and have enough knives for the rest of my life.

That must be some Tesco, offering a range of hundreds of obviously aimed-at-people 'hunting' knives.
Original post by jameswhughes
Probably **** all to be honest. :lol:

If knives were made illegal at great inconvenience to the majority of the population, then these teenagers would get knives illegally or just use something else (e.g. scissors, glass, bricks).

Apart from members of gangs and people intent on violence, how big is the market for these weapons?
Original post by dozyjojo
Hunting, like the filter suggests.

Which is how many people in the UK?

There are probably about 10 times as many weapons being sold to County Lines operatives as there are to hunters.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Which is how many people in the UK?

What difference does it make? You asked for a legitimate use of these products and you were given one.

If a person wants to stab someone, they're going to find something to do it with. Knives are an every day necessity, they're everywhere, and they're not going away. Terribly sharp and lethal knives can be found in kitchens all over the country.

In that context, someone who wants a particular kind of knife for a particular legitimate purpose ought to be able to get hold of it. It is also perfectly understandable that Amazon, which sells itself as an online retailer that will supply basically any item you can think of, won't restrict its offering without a good reason.

Besides, do you have anything to show that removing these products from amazon would reduce the number of/ harm caused by stabbings? Because you don't seem to have suggested that you do.

That listing literally says it's a paring knife which are used for preparing fruit.

The issue is do you penalise those who buy kitchen/utility knives online for their proper use due to a minority who use them to attack others?
Apart from members of gangs and people intent on violence, how big is the market for these weapons?

Loads of people need knives and other equipment that could be used dangerously. Maybe you've never needed to cut up food or do some gardening, but doesn't mean the rest of the population should be banned from doing these things.

I highly doubt any of these criminals actually buy knives on Amazon anyway, they could just take one from their home kitchen or steal one from a shop.
That must be some Tesco, offering a range of hundreds of obviously aimed-at-people 'hunting' knives.

I really dont think you understand knives a good deal of the ones you posted are pretty awful (if they were sharp real knives) Just because a knife has fancy patterns and a ton of serrations does not make it any more deadly, especially in the hands of some street thug and that a sharp and pointed kitchen knife would probably do more serious damage than a good deal of them
In the grip of a national crisis of murder by stabbing, it's good to see the major online players doing their bit. Here for example is Amazon offering an attractive range of designer lethal weapons for every taste in a range of appealing colours and styles.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knives/b?ie=UTF8&node=454938031

With such reasonably priced lethality, perhaps the next step is to offer body bags, funerals and condolence cards under Customers Who Bought these Also Liked.

:sad:

Amazon has every right to sell any knife that is legal under UK law, and all of these are. If the employees aren’t verifying ages properly when delivering then that’s something Amazon should fix, rather than not sell them at all.
And why would normal people want training knives and guns?

And come to that, what is the legitimate use of these knives in the UK?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=knives&rh=n%3A318949011%2Cn%3A454861031&dc&qid=1552141762&rnid=1642204031&ref=sr_nr_n_13

Some people like collecting different knives just for fun, especially older retired people. It’s not like these knives are somehow more deadly than an ordinary knife you’d find in a kitchen. I’m pretty sure the London Bridge terrorists used ordinary ceramic kitchen knives from Lidl, which aren’t even that sharp, to stab 6 people to death.
(edited 5 years ago)
You have to laugh that Amazon demand a signature to prove that you are over 18 to collect one of these.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ontario-Knife-Company-Unisexs-Chimera/dp/B00R6O10VG/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=knives&qid=1552141843&rnid=1642204031&s=sports&sr=1-20

How long I wonder would it take the government to rush through a ban on selling these things online and what difference would that make to the crisis almost immediately? It's almost as if our government had some kind of weak, toadying relationship to the online giants.

Yeah nah I bought a chef's knife on Amazon a few months ago and the package was left outside my front door while I was at work.
Original post by Andrew97
Because the only purpose of a knife is to stab someone...

ofc it is. How dare you suggest a knife might have a different use.
Amazon BAD Amazon Bad. repeat 100 times.

And come to that, what is the legitimate use of these knives in the UK?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=knives&rh=n%3A318949011%2Cn%3A454861031&dc&qid=1552141762&rnid=1642204031&ref=sr_nr_n_13

Self-defence instructors/practitioners who want to fool others/themselves into thinking there's any realistic way of defending against a knife attack that doesn't involve running very fast in the opposite direction.
Reply 31
Original post by Captain Haddock
Self-defence instructors/practitioners who want to fool others/themselves into thinking there's any realistic way of defending against a knife attack that doesn't involve running very fast in the opposite direction.

Who in the hell do you think trains the armed forces against knife attacks. The same people that train others in jujitsu classes and I can guarantee you that they would not run if they saw a knife.
Clearly the only solution is to ban everything...
My 15 inch would'a torn up your skin
but Amazon delivery said I weren't in

Training knives/guns are often used in jiu-jitsu (etc) for self-defence purposes.
Reply 35
there isnt a stabbing crisis in london, please stop with this middle age white wineo hysteria
Original post by eez
there isnt a stabbing crisis in london, please stop with this middle age white wineo hysteria

"There were 39,818 knife crime offences in the 12 months ending September 2018.

This is a two-thirds increase from the low-point in the year ending March 2014... and is the highest number since comparable data was compiled."

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 01.38.20.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42749089
Reply 37
Original post by Palmyra
"There were 39,818 knife crime offences in the 12 months ending September 2018.

This is a two-thirds increase from the low-point in the year ending March 2014... and is the highest number since comparable data was compiled."

Screenshot 2019-03-10 at 01.38.20.png

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42749089

funny how none of these graphs go past like 2010. places like peckham in the early 2000s were a warzone, far worse than today, anyone and everyone would be killed. bare in mind, most of these aren't random attacks the people getting stabbed are affiliated.

now stop crying smh
Original post by Captain Haddock

Every single martial arts instructor I've ever spoken too has always said the same thing - running away is the best course of action. Some have even said to not bother getting into a fight over something like a phone or wallet and to just hand them over.
However, there's always going occasions where running away isn't an option and/or when that person is after more than just your phone or wallet.
Original post by eez
funny how none of these graphs go past like 2010. places like peckham in the early 2000s were a warzone, far worse than today, anyone and everyone would be killed. bare in mind, most of these aren't random attacks the people getting stabbed are affiliated.

now stop crying smh

Knife crime is at a decade-long high (at the very least) and your response is to "stop crying". Go tell that to the families of the 132 individuals murdered in London last year alone.

What a moron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending