The Student Room Group

GCSE

What advice would you give students who are doing their GCSES in a year time ?

Scroll to see replies

People like myself?

Just survive, love. Then live your best life in the summer. I'm talking fast food every day.
Lol, good advice but how much revision would be needed to get a good grade 9 ?

Original post by RazzzBerries
People like myself?

Just survive, love. Then live your best life in the summer. I'm talking fast food every day.
Original post by Omni Fallen
Lol, good advice but how much revision would be needed to get a good grade 9 ?

Depends what subject, depending on how smart and confident you are but probably not as much as you think, that's not to say take anything likely though, even when you are feeling confident
Original post by RazzzBerries
People like myself?

Lol, inspirational words 😂
make sure you revise efficiently, if it’s not going into your head there isn’t any point doing it. practice questions are a really good form of revision, they prepare you for what the exam will be like and how it will be worded.
most importantly put your health first! don’t physically or mentally exhaust yourself health is more important than exams.
Thx for the advice, much appreciated and did GCSES stress you out at the time?
Original post by Iahmed512
Depends what subject, depending on how smart and confident you are but probably not as much as you think, that's not to say take anything likely though, even when you are feeling confident
Lol true but how prepared should i be in a years time?
Original post by Iram.Q
MAKE F*CKIN NOTES AS YOU GO ALONG and learn vocab
What past papers do you recommend on revising for GCSES ( what year i mean) ?
Original post by Asiuolnella
make sure you revise efficiently, if it’s not going into your head there isn’t any point doing it. practice questions are a really good form of revision, they prepare you for what the exam will be like and how it will be worded.
most importantly put your health first! don’t physically or mentally exhaust yourself health is more important than exams.
Exam technique!! Learn HOW to answer questions, especially for english, history, RE, etc instead of as much knowledge as possible. Of course knowledge of the content js still important, but to get a grade 9 you need to know what the exam board is looking for in each question. Structures like PEED/ PEEDEL/ PEFI, all help too.
Also if you take a foreign language prepare your speaking answers as soon as possible as it’ll be one less thing to stress about and rush later!
Good luck :smile:
Thx, much appreciated for the advice and how stressful where the GCSES for you when you sat them?
Original post by Bella.tigerlily
Exam technique!! Learn HOW to answer questions, especially for english, history, RE, etc instead of as much knowledge as possible. Of course knowledge of the content js still important, but to get a grade 9 you need to know what the exam board is looking for in each question. Structures like PEED/ PEEDEL/ PEFI, all help too.
Also if you take a foreign language prepare your speaking answers as soon as possible as it’ll be one less thing to stress about and rush later!
Good luck :smile:
Thx, much appreciated for the advice and how stressful where the GCSES for you when you sat them?

No problem! I’m actually taking my GCSEs this year too so not exactly an expert, but having tried a fair few revision methods that what I’ve found to work best, I’m definitely a bit stressed but I find the best way of managing it to be focussing on the subjects that I feel least prepared for.
Just have all your notes ready by Easter 2020
Lol true but how prepared should i be in a years time?
MAKES NOTES AS YOU GO ALONG PLEASE PLEASE.....and Neflix love to put up new tv series in exam season...STAY AWAY FROM IT IN EXAM SEASON
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m in Year 10 currently and doing my geography, business and english papers this year. Once you reach Year 11 I’d definitely advise to start revising what you have been taught in class. Even though I’m only doing 3 GCSEs this year, it would have helped me a lot if I revised as I went along! For now, I would probably relax because you don’t have exams to stress over just yet!
Thx for the help hopefully with your advice i can ace this exams
Original post by Bella.tigerlily
No problem! I’m actually taking my GCSEs this year too so not exactly an expert, but having tried a fair few revision methods that what I’ve found to work best, I’m definitely a bit stressed but I find the best way of managing it to be focussing on the subjects that I feel least prepared for.
Gonna spend Easter doing revision and not celebrating, damn forgive me God
Original post by Iram.Q
Just have all your notes ready by Easter 2020
Netflix is the real challenge in life to get past..so hard to resist..
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
MAKES NOTES AS YOU GO ALONG PLEASE PLEASE.....and Neflix love to put up new tv series in exam season...STAY AWAY FROM IT IN EXAM SEASON
True but my family wants me prepared..they made me revise for my GCSES when i was in year 6
Original post by abbeyxo
I’m in Year 10 currently and doing my geography, business and english papers this year. Once you reach Year 11 I’d definitely advise to start revising what you have been taught in class. Even though I’m only doing 3 GCSEs this year, it would have helped me a lot if I revised as I went along! For now, I would probably relax because you don’t have exams to stress over just yet!
Netflix is the real challenge in life to get past..so hard to resist..

I know..I'm so tempted to start another series:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest