The Student Room Group

Got a BA and I want to do a LLB, advice?

Hi guys,

Has anyone applied to law school (LLB) in the UK with an earlier BA degree?

I am a mature EU student and would like to apply to law school in the UK. I have an earlier BA which I completed four years ago. I didn't fully concentrate on my studies as I was working full time and my grades are average.

As I live abroad I was thinking of doing a certain amount of Open University courses (60 ECTS) in computer science and then applying with my grade point average.

I know it's not the same subject but I need a B plan/work and will explain this in my personal statement. I'm also looking into shadowing or an office assistant job at a law firm to further show my motivation.

Has anyone applied this way (Open University/earlier degree) and do you think this route is looked down upon compared to A-levels, Access to HE etc.?

My goal is Oxbridge and the Russel group. I have contacted the universities and they have said this route is okay.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Wiiret
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by wiiret
Hi guys,

Has anyone applied to law school (LLB) in the UK with an earlier BA degree?

I am a mature international student and would like to apply to law school in the UK. I have an earlier BA which I completed four years ago. I didn't fully concentrate on my studies as I was working full time and my grades are average.

As I live abroad I was thinking of doing a certain amount of Open University courses (60 ECTS) in computer science and then applying with my grade point average.

I know it's not the same subject but I need a B plan/work and will explain this in my personal statement. I'm also looking into shadowing or an office assistant job at a law firm to further show my motivation.

Has anyone applied this way (Open University/earlier degree) and do you think this route is looked down upon compared to A-levels, Access to HE etc.?

My goal is Oxbridge and the Russel group. I have contacted the universities and they have said this route is okay.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Wiiret

Can you afford to study in the UK? Intl fees plus living costs is going to set you back at least £60,000, and likely more. Unless you are very wealthy then I don't see much point doing a LLB - there are easier and cheaper options to qualify as a lawyer.

If the answer to the above is yes then I would not recommend doing Open University ECTS in Computer Science. Studying a module or two in such an unrelated subject probably won't make up for an average grade in your earlier BA.

If you really want to do some uni credits to demonstrate improved academic ability then do them in Law. The Open Uni is good but the University of London's International Programme (which is distance-learning, similar to the OU) is another option which you might not have considered, see here: https://london.ac.uk/courses/subject/105
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Can you afford to study in the UK? Intl fees plus living costs is going to set you back at least £60,000, and likely more. Unless you are very wealthy then I don't see much point doing a LLB - there are easier and cheaper options to qualify as a lawyer.

If the answer to the above is yes then I would not recommend doing Open University ECTS in Computer Science. Studying a module or two in such an unrelated subject probably won't make up for an average grade in your earlier BA.

If you really want to do some uni credits to demonstrate improved academic ability then do them in Law. The Open Uni is good but the University of London's International Programme (which is distance-learning, similar to the OU) is another option which you might not have considered, see here: https://london.ac.uk/courses/subject/105

Thank you very much for your reply Snufkin!

I'm sorry: with international I meant EU. But even EU fees + living fees do add up.

What are the easier and cheaper options you mention about? I'm interested in practicing e.g. in a NGO, the government or the UN for example. What I have understood is that law is very competitive and that the GDL e.g. might not be the best option for me because of my average BA grades.
Original post by wiiret
Thank you very much for your reply Snufkin!

I'm sorry: with international I meant EU. But even EU fees + living fees do add up.

What are the easier and cheaper options you mention about? I'm interested in practicing e.g. in a NGO, the government or the UN for example. What I have understood is that law is very competitive and that the GDL e.g. might not be the best option for me because of my average BA grades.

That's still a lot of money, and you won't be able to get a loan - can you afford it?

I'm not au fait with the legal world but I don't think you can just turn up to NGOs, the UN or the government and offer to be their lawyer - it sounds to me like you should do some proper research into the realities of what a legal career actually looks like before spending so much money.

In the UK it is very common for people to do degrees in subjects other than law (e.g. science, history, economics, languages, whatever) and then train to be a lawyer afterwards. First you take the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), and then either the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), depending on whether you want to be a solicitor or a barrister. This is likely to be cheaper than taking a LLB.

I'm gonna move this thread into the Law forum so you can get more expert advice)/
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
That's still a lot of money, and you won't be able to get a loan - can you afford it?

I'm not au fait with the legal world but I don't think you can just turn up to NGOs, the UN or the government and offer to be their lawyer - it sounds to me like you should do some proper research into the realities of what a legal career actually looks like before spending so much money.

In the UK it is very common for people to do degrees in subjects other than law (e.g. science, history, economics, languages, whatever) and then train to be a lawyer afterwards. First you take the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), and then either the Legal Practice Course (LPC) or the Bar Professional Training Course (BPTC), depending on whether you want to be a solicitor or a barrister. This is likely to be cheaper than taking a LLB.

I'm gonna move this thread into the Law forum so you can get more expert advice)/

Great! Thank you very much Snufkin!
I am doing similar in that I have a degree (years ago) and an aoplyinf for llb, though I have gone for senior status 2 year ones which are open to those with a degree. Think oxford one you need a first though before, all the other ones needed 2.1.
Whether it’s well thought of, no idea yet but I am going for interest rather than to be a lawyer at the end. You’ll have to explain your earlier “bad” degree anyway at interviews.
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine1973
I am doing similar in that I have a degree (years ago) and an aoplyinf for llb, though I have gone for senior status 2 year ones which are open to those with a degree. Think oxford one you need a first though before, all the other ones needed 2.1.
Whether it’s well thought of, no idea yet but I am going for interest rather than to be a lawyer at the end. You’ll have to explain your earlier “bad” degree anyway at interviews.

Thank you Catherine!

I've contacted multiple universities (some with the senior status program) and asked e.g. is the route I'm planning on taking (previous BA + 60 ECTS in Comp Sci OU courses) looked down upon vs other ways such as A-levels etc.

Is there anyone else who would like to chime in and perhaps has some experience regarding the process of applying to a LLB with a earlier BA and maybe even some Open University course work in addition? Or someone who could comment on what the process is to work as a lawyer for e.g. a NGOs, the government or the UN?
Original post by wiiret
Is there anyone else who would like to chime in and perhaps has some experience regarding the process of applying to a LLB with a earlier BA and maybe even some Open University course work in addition? Or someone who could comment on what the process is to work as a lawyer for e.g. a NGOs, the government or the UN?

Hi!
Just curious what's your decision on this matter? Since I'm in the very same situation as you're.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending