The Student Room Group

Disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday :(

At least 253 (revised down by more than 100 by government citing mistakes in morgue reports) are reported to have been killed and around 500 injured in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka.

At least eight explosions have been reported.

Three churches in Kochchikade, Negombo and Batticaloa were targeted during Easter services.

The Shangri La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels, all in Colombo, were also hit.

There have been fears that returning fighters from the Islamic State group could pose a threat in the country.
In the years since the end of Sri Lanka's civil war, there has been some sporadic violence, with members of the majority Buddhist Sinhala community attacking mosques and Muslim-owned properties.

Absolutely disgusting attack on Sri Lankans and Christians during Easter Sunday - hope that no more people die, especially as hundreds are injured, with reports of blood on the pews, and body parts strewn around in church. Definitely a targeted attack and hopefully can bring the cowardly perpetrators to justice :frown:

UPDATE : Government has blamed a little-known local jihadist group, National Thowheed Jamath - "There was an international network without which these attacks could not have succeeded."
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely horrible.
Utterly deplorable :frown:
Reply 4
I’m a Christian and originally from Sri Lanka so this really hits hard. Sri Lanka has been at peace for nearly 10 years now and even during the war Christians were never a specific target. We’ve always gotten along well there with other religions but I’ve heard that there’s been a rise in Buddhist nationalism a few years ago- but even that was mainly just protests about Muslims. And there has never been a Muslim terror attack here so this just seems so crazy. I don’t think any of my relatives are dead though, but tbh I see them all sort of as my relatives.
I’m British Sri Lankan (also Christian) and we’ve just been phoning family and friends back home to find out if everyone’s OK.

If there’s only one thing to say to this: please be kind. There’s no reason to hurt others. We’re all human.
(edited 5 years ago)
Does anyone know who did it? Is it Tamil Tigers? Muslim Extremists?
Original post by maachu_pichuu

We’re not sure yet.

currently unknown, fears of IS/Muslim extremists but unconfirmed, but definitely targeted.
It's a possibility though it seems like Buddhists may have been involved in these incidents. Either way can we not start debating about this sort of thing since it doesn't get anyone anywhere...
Original post by RazzzBerries
I’m British Sri Lankan (also Christian) and we’ve just been phoning family and friends back home to find out if everyone’s OK.

If there’s only one thing to say to this: please be kind. There’s no reason to hurt others. We’re all human.

I was just about to tag you. :console:
:frown:
I think it is most likely Buddhist Extremists, since they are targeting Christians.
Original post by SimpleMathsPhys
It's a possibility though it seems like Buddhists may have been involved in these incidents. Either way can we not start debating about this sort of thing since it doesn't get anyone anywhere...
Original post by Obolinda
I was just about to tag you. :console:

Thank you :hugs:
I think everyone I’m related to is OK. A lot of them were nearby though, so they heard a couple. There were bombs in nearby churches too but they didn’t go off.
I’m just hoping the people who got injured will recover now.
Ugh. I hate this.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Thank you :hugs:
I think everyone I’m related to is OK. A lot of them were nearby though, so they heard a couple. There were bombs in nearby churches too but they didn’t go off.
I’m just hoping the people who got injured will recover now.
Ugh. I hate this.

Horrible that they heard that.
Pretty devastating attacks, a lot of these hotels which have been targeted are 5 star hotels, so I am surprised that these sort of bombs made it past security. Churches you can't help, since it's an open door policy. All these attacks will do is further destabilise Sri Lanka, something which an Indian government doesn't need. I expect the death toll to rise and this to severely impact the tourism industry in Sri Lanka. My deepest sympathies to the loved ones of the dead.
Luckily my relatives are so far all safe. Can’t believe this happened in Sri Lanka of all places
Original post by Ladbants
Luckily my relatives are so far all safe. Can’t believe this happened in Sri Lanka of all places

That’s such a relief. Which areas are they in?
Another explosion has been reported in the district of Dehiwala, in greater Colombo. It is unclear what the nature of the explosion is as yet.
Eighth blast hits Colombo, reports say, locating it in the district of Dematagoda.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending