The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bold move. Fair enough Mrs May.
Time to see if he will actually be punished for leaking highly confidential materials to the press.
Understandable.

That Chris Grayling still has a job is not understandable.

Wonder if May told him to go away and shut up :holmes:

[video="youtube;DLr-jfbX0zM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLr-jfbX0zM[/video]
Understandable but agree that Chris Grayling should be sacked as well given the non-ferries fiasco.
5E8C71CD-B6FA-48B6-97C9-5E9B24BEF660.jpeg78BD8DE6-AAE0-4924-8466-149CDDDF9F83.jpeg
The letter from May to Williamson
Too bad May is still in a job, must be being bribed by China.
Original post by Andrew97
5E8C71CD-B6FA-48B6-97C9-5E9B24BEF660.jpeg78BD8DE6-AAE0-4924-8466-149CDDDF9F83.jpeg
The letter from May to Williamson

I love the polite tone of the letter while telling him he is full of crap and can kindly **** off. British passive aggressiveness at its best.
Reply 9
It's a shame. He was actually doing half decent things for Defence and service personnel.
Original post by Drewski
It's a shame. He was actually doing half decent things for Defence and service personnel.

Was he? He seems to have been regarded as a bit of a jerk by most MPs, but maybe that's not the whole picture.

I can't help thinking this is all just about May getting a job for Mordaunt, who favours the May approach to Brexit and rid of Williamson, who opposed it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Was he? He seems to have been regarded as a bit of a jerk by most MPs, but maybe that's not the whole picture.

I can't help thinking this is all just about May getting a job for Mordaunt, who favours the May approach to Brexit and rid of Williamson, who opposed it.

Oh, he was certainly ambitious and trying to further himself, but he's also been popular among the services, has actively tried to improve things for them - going against party lines slightly - and put through a number of contracts for new kit.
Original post by Drewski
Oh, he was certainly ambitious and trying to further himself, but he's also been popular among the services, has actively tried to improve things for them - going against party lines slightly - and put through a number of contracts for new kit.

Where was he on the F35/carriers saga?

Money seems to be as badly redirected in the armed forces budgets as it is elsewhere in government.
Reply 13
Interestingly he's still maintaining he didn't leak anything.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Where was he on the F35/carriers saga?

Money seems to be as badly redirected in the armed forces budgets as it is elsewhere in government.

Too new. Deliveries had already started by the time he was in post.
Original post by Doones
Interestingly he's still maintaining he didn't leak anything.

It takes a lot for May to sack someone so there must be some truth in it.
Original post by Drewski

Agreed. Maybe it's just because the last few Sec States for Defence have been poor (cough, Hammond, cough) that he seemed decent but, as you say, he actually seemed to be getting stuff done.
Reply 17
Original post by Decahedron
It takes a lot for May to sack someone so there must be some truth in it.

It will be very interesting to see if a police investigation happens.
Penny Morduant will replace Williamson
According to Wikipedia, Penny Mordaunt is a Royal Navy Reservist and comes from a military family. While I don't necessarily think it's mandatory that a Secretary of State for Defence should have served in the UK armed forces, I certainly think it's highly desirable. Only time will tell if she's up to the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending