The Student Room Group

Eligible for second lot of funding?

I attended university about 20 years ago, fulltime and received funding for 1st and 2nd year but then dropped out due to personal reasons with no qualification.
I’ve decided to go back to studying at the Open University, will I get a part time grant/funding this time round? Is part time grant funding treated separately from full time funding?
I’m a stay at home mum with no income.
Thanks!
Original post by Gill978
I attended university about 20 years ago, fulltime and received funding for 1st and 2nd year but then dropped out due to personal reasons with no qualification.
I’ve decided to go back to studying at the Open University, will I get a part time grant/funding this time round? Is part time grant funding treated separately from full time funding?
I’m a stay at home mum with no income.
Thanks!

Hi

This is the bit for part time funding.
https://www.saas.gov.uk/part_time/ug/index.htm

I dislike saas website as its a bit difficult to navigate so I would just ring them.
You sure its OU you want rather than an actual uni?

Have had a look for you . SAAS is similar but also different from SFE.

Funding works like this.

They agree to fund you for your degree length +1 year. This gives you a funding status of degree +1.

You used 2 years of funding, which means you used up your + 1 year and another, so your status goes from +1 to -1. That means they will only pay for your course from year 2 onwards.

In England SFE have a process called compelling personal reasons, in which you can ask for a years extra finance if you are ill or had personal issues which forced you to drop out. I would suspect thats why you finished without a degree and left after 2 years?

If so you really need a letter from uni confirming this or if you have any correspondence. Lots of unis dont keep records that long.
Any medical records confirming illness at the time.

Contact SAAS and talk to them about your entitlement and possible application for concession.
This may not be directly applicable but I think it might cover your situation of being ill and dropping out. Its not as clear as the English system.

Concession
Changing course or career due to a disability, injury or illness If you are not able to continue with your course or you are already qualified with a profession and you are no longer able to continue working within this profession because of a disability,injury or illness,exceptionally we may be able to offer you support to start a new course that is more suitable to your current circumstances. If this applies to you, please give us details of your circumstances and support this with the relevant medical evidence

https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf

If that works it should be enough to fund a degree from year 1.

I get the feeling SAAS are a lot more restrictive than England at giving repeat year funding besides the +1.

I think you need to call them and see what they say.
Reply 2
Thank you for replying! That is very helpful, thanks!
Original post by 999tigger
Hi

This is the bit for part time funding.
https://www.saas.gov.uk/part_time/ug/index.htm

I dislike saas website as its a bit difficult to navigate so I would just ring them.
You sure its OU you want rather than an actual uni?

Have had a look for you . SAAS is similar but also different from SFE.

Funding works like this.

They agree to fund you for your degree length +1 year. This gives you a funding status of degree +1.

You used 2 years of funding, which means you used up your + 1 year and another, so your status goes from +1 to -1. That means they will only pay for your course from year 2 onwards.

In England SFE have a process called compelling personal reasons, in which you can ask for a years extra finance if you are ill or had personal issues which forced you to drop out. I would suspect thats why you finished without a degree and left after 2 years?

If so you really need a letter from uni confirming this or if you have any correspondence. Lots of unis dont keep records that long.
Any medical records confirming illness at the time.

Contact SAAS and talk to them about your entitlement and possible application for concession.
This may not be directly applicable but I think it might cover your situation of being ill and dropping out. Its not as clear as the English system.

Concession
Changing course or career due to a disability, injury or illness If you are not able to continue with your course or you are already qualified with a profession and you are no longer able to continue working within this profession because of a disability,injury or illness,exceptionally we may be able to offer you support to start a new course that is more suitable to your current circumstances. If this applies to you, please give us details of your circumstances and support this with the relevant medical evidence

https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/previous_study.pdf

If that works it should be enough to fund a degree from year 1.

I get the feeling SAAS are a lot more restrictive than England at giving repeat year funding besides the +1.

I think you need to call them and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending