The Student Room Group

Funding for a second undergraduate degree if withdrawing from PhD

I am possibly withdrawing from my PhD (funded with a SfE doctoral loan) due to family circumstances, and looking at possible second undergraduate degree options instead. Would I be eligible for the part time second degree funding if I do a BSc or integrated Masters through the OU? Thank you.
Original post by Helencompton48
I am possibly withdrawing from my PhD (funded with a SfE doctoral loan) due to family circumstances, and looking at possible second undergraduate degree options instead. Would I be eligible for the part time second degree funding if I do a BSc or integrated Masters through the OU? Thank you.

Hi Helen,

Many part-time courses are exceptions, so we don't take your previous study into account at all.

Do you know what kind of course you'd like to do?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Helen,
Many part-time courses are exceptions, so we don't take your previous study into account at all.
Do you know what kind of course you'd like to do?
Thanks, Graeme

Thank you. I am looking at either the BSc in Counselling or the BSc Psychology with Counselling through the Open University.
Thank you. I am looking at either the BSc in Counselling or the BSc Psychology with Counselling through the Open University.

I also already have a Masters degree so wondered if this stops me applying for a second undergraduate loan.
I also already have a Masters degree so wondered if this stops me applying for a second undergraduate loan.

Hi Helen,

If you study an exception course then your previous study is not calculated when determining your eligibility. Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Helen,
If you study an exception course then your previous study is not calculated when determining your eligibility. Thanks, Jason

Thank you. If I choose to study full time rather than part time with the OU and it is an exception course would I still be eligible for funding or is it only part time courses?
Thank you. If I choose to study full time rather than part time with the OU and it is an exception course would I still be eligible for funding or is it only part time courses?

Hi Helen,

If you study full time or part time with OU, it's funded by us with part time funding.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Helen,
If you study full time or part time with OU, it's funded by us with part time funding.
Thanks,
Claire

So I wouldn't receive the whole cost of the fees per year for three years, only half?
So I wouldn't receive the whole cost of the fees per year for three years, only half?

Apologies Helen I thought you meant full time or part time study with OU and that's what I answered you. If you decide to study full time not with OU, the course needs to be one of our exception courses to get full funding.

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
Apologies Helen I thought you meant full time or part time study with OU and that's what I answered you. If you decide to study full time not with OU, the course needs to be one of our exception courses to get full funding.
Thanks,
Claire

I did mean OU - so if I opted to study for three years with OU instead of six I would only get funding for half the fees?
I did mean OU - so if I opted to study for three years with OU instead of six I would only get funding for half the fees?

The funding we offer for OU courses is Part Time Tuition Fee Loan. The maximum per year is £6,165.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending