The Student Room Group

High paid jobs

I’m in my first year of A-levels and I’m doing A-level physics, chemistry and Maths. I’m particularly interested is physics (astronomy) but it’s not a ‘well paid’ job. I don’t have any knowledge on careers from chemistry and maths. But I am interested in chemistry and maths.

What are high paid jobs that I can take from doing A-level physics, chemistry and maths?

I want to earn this much at the later period of my career :
More than £70,000 (minimum I say)
More than £100,000 (I’ll be so happy with this)
More than £200,000? - (Does a job paying that much amount of money exist? 😂)

Scroll to see replies

Also I know money isn’t everything, but I want a high paying job to get the things I like and live a comfortable life :smile:
I would stress the importance of finding a job you like, as well as one that pays well - yes, it's great to have money to buy the things you like, but a job is something you have to do 5 days a week, for most of your life; if you don't enjoy your job, that sounds like a pretty miserable time to me!
would you be prepared to be self employed?
Original post by Gent2324

No :frown:
I know, I want to know what careers there are for me to choose.
But I want to buy a nice house, a car, nice clothes and food - you know like the basic things
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Revision Boiii
No :frown:

your options are limited then, very limited.
Thank you! It seems that most high paid jobs are in business and medical sector :frown: which i can’t choose
(edited 4 years ago)
lawyer in an american firm based in central London=big bucks
Granted, but that doesn't mean you can't find a balance between good income, and good quality of life (from a work perspective). So yes, if salary needs to be a bigger factor for an individual, it can be, but there are well paid options that offer more enjoyment than an option that might have a slightly higher pay.
Original post by Revision Boiii
I’m in my first year of A-levels and I’m doing A-level physics, chemistry and Maths. I’m particularly interested is physics (astronomy) but it’s not a ‘well paid’ job. I don’t have any knowledge on careers from chemistry and maths. But I am interested in chemistry and maths.

What are high paid jobs that I can take from doing A-level physics, chemistry and maths?

I want to earn this much at the later period of my career :
More than £70,000 (minimum I say)
More than £100,000 (I’ll be so happy with this)
More than £200,000? - (Does a job paying that much amount of money exist? 😂)

IMHO, your best bet to 'ring the bell' that loudly, is in software development. My background is: I hold a MSEE in electrical engineering from an accredited US uni, and have lived in 14 countries doing engineering for my customers - who were the US Federal government for a while, then private industry. As to which particular area of IT to 'get into' - consumer based apps - with a large potential consumer base - seem to 'pay off' the best. Starting a firm like Google, Facebook, or something like that, can pay large benefits. First you have to learn to write software, and acquire some 'associates' who can help you, and share in the benefits.
You can also do fairly well developing 'specialty' programs for things like oil well exploration, building and bridge design, road design, etc. The problems with those areas, is that the customer base is not as large, and - while the programs generally sell for much more money, due to the reduced customer base, your profits (return on investment) will not be as great. You still should be able to make the 70kquid to 100kquid range though. When I effectively retired a few years ago, I was making just under $100,000 - which is fairly close to your target. At that time, I was mostly doing satellite earth terminal design [the transmit/receive stations that communicate with earth satellites. These installations cost about $2 million to $10 million - for a small - medium terminal. I would be responsible for the equipment design of the communications part of the terminal. Normally, I would not be involved in the building construction/design - but at times I was.

Pure chemistry & math(s) careers that pay that sort of money are few and far between in my experience. One problem being that a 'pure' mathematician, or 'pure' chemist, will not have the business experience or entrepreneurial experience to put together a 'business plan' to get a company started. In order to attract venture capital & start/run a company, you need 'people skills' - that frankly, I don't have. That, however, is where the real money is. Somebody like Allen Shugart [hard drives], Wozniak & Steve Jobs [Apple Computer], Billy (the software thief) Gates [Microshaft], and other such people have those skills. The advantages that they also had, was that they had a large (very large) customer base - and that's where you make the large bucks. Best of luck!!!
Pharmacist
Following money, you will not be successful in life.

I am! Why?
(edited 4 years ago)
earned your first benchmark in my first year out of uni - and left that job a year and a half into it.

as people said above, following money isn't the right way to go.
Original post by yotsr123
I am! Why?

because theres alot of ways to get high income if youre willing to be self employed
whoa. doing what job?
Original post by gr8wizard10
earned your first benchmark in my first year out of uni - and left that job a year and a half into it.

as people said above, following money isn't the right way to go.
because theres alot of ways to get high income if youre willing to be self employed

Can you give examples?/ go into detail?
Original post by yotsr123
Can you give examples?/ go into detail?

Freelancing etc.
If you’re self employed your income is not restricted by a boss, so if you’re smart you don’t need to worry about negotiating a salary or waiting a couple years, the money will start coming in pretty much instantly since there’s no middleman
Thank you for the advice! There’s nothing special about those numbers. It’s just the salary that I would like to have for a job. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending