The Student Room Group

Is going the counselling route worth it?

Hi,

So I've been thinking a lot about becoming a counsellor, and it's something I'm interested in doing, but I worry about career prospects and if there are any.

I've got an MSc Psychology conversion course (BPS accredited) and nearly one year of experience volunteering for Shout Crisis Line (similar to Samaritans).

I'm looking into beginning my counselling journey, starting with the Level 2 certificate (I know I'd need to get up to L4, and that's fine).

Ultimately, the plan is to get onto the Counselling Psychology doctorate. That said, I wanted to become a counsellor first (I'd need a counselling certificate anyway to get onto the doctoral programme).

My question is, are there any PAID job opportunities for counsellors nowadays? Because from what I've read on this forum, it seems like everyone is volunteering and not getting any money from this!!! Sure, I want to get into this field for other reasons than money,but the bills need to get paid.
Well I found this job listing bit on the BACP website so I'd assume so :smile:

https://www.bacp.co.uk/search/Jobs
Reply 2
Thanks, but it seems like there are very few jobs listed on there 🙂.

Does anyone have any experience of securing a counselling job?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Maddie_92
Hi,

So I've been thinking a lot about becoming a counsellor, and it's something I'm interested in doing, but I worry about career prospects and if there are any.

I've got an MSc Psychology conversion course (BPS accredited) and nearly one year of experience volunteering for Shout Crisis Line (similar to Samaritans).

I'm looking into beginning my counselling journey, starting with the Level 2 certificate (I know I'd need to get up to L4, and that's fine).

Ultimately, the plan is to get onto the Counselling Psychology doctorate. That said, I wanted to become a counsellor first (I'd need a counselling certificate anyway to get onto the doctoral programme).

My question is, are there any PAID job opportunities for counsellors nowadays? Because from what I've read on this forum, it seems like everyone is volunteering and not getting any money from this!!! Sure, I want to get into this field for other reasons than money,but the bills need to get paid.

There are paid jobs around, though not that many. When you get to level 4, you will need to do a placement, which is unlikely to be paid, but it can be a good way in. Some of my classmates from my level 4 course got paid jobs where they did their placements after they qualified.

I completed my counselling training and then trained as a High Intensity CBT Therapist and now work as a CBT therapist in the NHS. There are more job roles out there for CBT therapists, but my counselling training definitely helped me get here. It would also be helpful if you decide to go into a Psychology role in future.
Reply 4
Original post by Nerol
There are paid jobs around, though not that many. When you get to level 4, you will need to do a placement, which is unlikely to be paid, but it can be a good way in. Some of my classmates from my level 4 course got paid jobs where they did their placements after they qualified.

I completed my counselling training and then trained as a High Intensity CBT Therapist and now work as a CBT therapist in the NHS. There are more job roles out there for CBT therapists, but my counselling training definitely helped me get here. It would also be helpful if you decide to go into a Psychology role in future.

That's really good to hear, thank you.

How did you get about doing the CBT training? Is it a uni course? Is there any funding? I can't get any more Student Finance, so not sure I'd be able to afford it, unfortunately.
Reply 5
Original post by Maddie_92
That's really good to hear, thank you.

How did you get about doing the CBT training? Is it a uni course? Is there any funding? I can't get any more Student Finance, so not sure I'd be able to afford it, unfortunately.

I got a role as a trainee high intensity therapist theough the NHS. It was a paid role, all training funded and paid salary at band 6. I had to complete a KSA portfolio in order to get the role, you can get more info about it on the BABCP website.

Quick Reply

Latest