The Student Room Group

im failing chem HELP

Im literally only confident in Quantitative Chem, that’s IT i don’t get anything else, especially electrolysis. Should I prioritise learning bonding or the required practicals or electrolysis ??? What should I focus most my time on when I don’t get ANYTHING ??? And what required practical do u think will come up ??

Scroll to see replies

It's late stop worrying and get some SLEEP
watch this in the morning, it's an overview of all the chem stuff in (just over) one hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQ-3YAwNhI
Reply 3
Original post by ririroo
It's late stop worrying and get some SLEEP

I CANT im stressing out so bad rn im doing triple as well my targets are 8s .. i got a 3 in my mocks i just really want to pass 😓
Hey, is there any specific topics you’re struggling with? I’m in year 13 doing Alevel chem so I should be able to help! :smile:
bang out some flashcards real quick
best thing to do: get some sleep and in the morning, try Seneca. It’s more useful and detailed but concise. I used it to understand electrolysis and they claim that you learn 2x faster so there’s that.
I did triple too and got an 8 in chemistry last year, I got a 6 in the mock and thought I would do horrendously but the paper was surprisingly nice to us. I don’t think you should focus too much of your time at this point On required practicals cause you don’t have much time, just skip through them all at least once if you get the chance cause there could a be a 6marker on one. But the practical question may be common sense or it might trigger and help you remember what you did in class if it does come up. It’s more important revising the actual content cause I think that’s where there will be the most marks. Due to lack of time, going through videos in yt which summarise the whole topic would probably be best if you want to get it all done but for topic specific videos freescienelessons on yt is a good source
Reply 8
Original post by ThatGuy107
Hey, is there any specific topics you’re struggling with? I’m in year 13 doing Alevel chem so I should be able to help! :smile:

How do I know what’s produced at the cathode and anode? Honestly just don’t understand electrolysis at all. Do all types of bonding have electrostatic forces of attraction??
Reply 9
Original post by solitaireegg
best thing to do: get some sleep and in the morning, try Seneca. It’s more useful and detailed but concise. I used it to understand electrolysis and they claim that you learn 2x faster so there’s that.

ok thank you! ive been watching freesciencelessons today and it still doesnt make sense to me so im hoping that works
Original post by toodoroki
How do I know what’s produced at the cathode and anode? Honestly just don’t understand electrolysis at all. Do all types of bonding have electrostatic forces of attraction??

For electrolysis it really depends on what you have. Do you have any examples you’re expected to know?

Ionic and Metallic bonding do have electrostatic forces of attraction, as there is attraction between positive and negative species (ions or electrons). Covalent technically does but I’m not sure if this is GCSE level or not.
ok thank you! ive been watching freesciencelessons today and it still doesnt make sense to me so im hoping that works

good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by ThatGuy107
For electrolysis it really depends on what you have. Do you have any examples you’re expected to know?

Ionic and Metallic bonding do have electrostatic forces of attraction, as there is attraction between positive and negative species (ions or electrons). Covalent technically does but I’m not sure if this is GCSE level or not.

copper sulfate , for example. how do i know whether it’s copper or sulfur being produced? in a video it says oxygen is produced too but where does oxygen come from
copper sulfate , for example. how do i know whether it’s copper or sulfur being produced? in a video it says oxygen is produced too but where does oxygen come from

That means it is an aqueous solution (dissolved in water). If it’s dissolved in water it contains H+ ions and O- ions. Because there are no halogens oxygen is produced, and copper is less reactive than hydrogen (reactivity series) therefore it’s produced also

Okay, so I’m assuming you’re referring to Copper Sulfate solution (otherwise known as aqueous) which is copper sulfate dissolved in water.
Copper is Cu2 it is positively charged. This means it is attracted to the negative electrode (cathode) by electrostatic forces of attraction. The copper ions gain 2 electrons forming solid copper metal through reduction.
Sulfate ions (SO4 ^2-) are negatively charged, so are attracted to the positive electrode (anode). The Sulfate ions lose electrons here through oxidation. However, I believe at GCSE you don’t need to be aware of this, there is no halide ion so oxygen is produced.

In terms of oxygen, this is branching into alevel slightly. Water will partially dissociate into H ions and OH- ions (only VERY slightly). These OH- ions are attracted to the positive electrode (anode) and are oxidised to form Oxygen (among other things).
Hope this helped!
(edited 4 years ago)
Can I give you the best piece of advice which you probably don’t want to hear?
It’s the night before the exam, what you don’t know now, you won’t fully know and understand by the time of your exam.
Go to sleep now and try and get some rest, try and get in to the mindset of “if i don’t know electrolysis, that’s fine, i know what i know” stressing yourself about topics you find difficult and don’t understand now will stress you out even more and can actually be counterproductive as it will affect everything you DO know.

I’ve done my GCSES and A levels (took chem), which I had taken my own advice
Original post by ririroo
watch this in the morning, it's an overview of all the chem stuff in (just over) one hour
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpQ-3YAwNhI

Go to sleep now and go over this as a quick overview in the morning, best of luck :smile:
I CANT im stressing out so bad rn im doing triple as well my targets are 8s .. i got a 3 in my mocks i just really want to pass 😓

triple is killing me lol
so i slept since i couldnt take in the shock from eng lit and just woke up should i revise for about an hour and crash or nah
Original post by chocochip_
Can I give you the best piece of advice which you probably don’t want to hear?
It’s the night before the exam, what you don’t know now, you won’t fully know and understand by the time of your exam.
Go to sleep now and try and get some rest, try and get in to the mindset of “if i don’t know electrolysis, that’s fine, i know what i know” stressing yourself about topics you find difficult and don’t understand now will stress you out even more and can actually be counterproductive as it will affect everything you DO know.

I’ve done my GCSES and A levels (took chem), which I had taken my own advice
Original post by Tsquare
so i slept since i couldnt take in the shock from eng lit and just woke up should i revise for about an hour and crash or nah

Don’t revise, at least rest and do something else to clear your mind

Quick Reply

Latest