The Student Room Group

Should i screw my a levels to follow my passion?

year 13, predicted A*AAA maths,chem,bio,physics. parents wanna force me to do medicine in september in unis they have applied to but i have my own plans. My parents are narcissist and wont listen to my plans or if they do, no chance they are gonna allow it, i wanna take a gap year after this school year to get stuff done which have potential to be lucrative. These include, ecommerce store which i have success with in the past, apps, selling codes to companies etc. However, my parents dont belive in me or my plans. im fine with going to university after a year if i dont make it yet they wont budge. they are lost cause. i can purposely fail a levels and retake them later which means my plans are going to be in action. I can force a gap year and if i do make it, live away from my parents. BTW, i have computer science application from UofBirmingham, i dont mind going there this year since it is a lighter course which gives me time to do my plans but parents dont even approve of this option either. your input will be valuable and please realistic. i cant be any kinder to parent since they wont approve at all. ty
don't purposely fail. you have worked hard and might later regret losing/need these qualifications. Speak to your uni advisor or someone at the uni and explain, they'll be able to help.
Smash your AL's and then take a gap year.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
don't purposely fail. you have worked hard and might later regret losing/need these qualifications. Speak to your uni advisor or someone at the uni and explain, they'll be able to help.

sure but im forced to go to uni in summer. i dont want to. if i meet uni requirements, ill be FORCED to go there. i dont want to be FORCED since im an adult, i can think for myself
No, don't screw your A-levels...That's a qualification that's kinda important, just do them as well as you can.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdullahirea34
sure but im forced to go to uni in summer. i dont want to. if i meet uni requirements, ill be FORCED to go there. i dont want to be FORCED since im an adult, i can think for myself

If they can force you to go to uni then they can force you to do something else even if you fail your A Levels.

Purposely failing your A Levels would be a silly and immature thing to do.
Original post by Notnek
If they can force you to go to uni then they can force you to do something else even if you fail your A Levels.

Purposely failing your A Levels would be a silly and immature thing to do.

that opens a new perspective. thank you
Smash your A levels. See if you can defer your place for a year. Give you and your parents some breathing room.

Have read your other threads that you only want to do medicine to get money. I think you are in the wrong career path for that. Perhaps you will be able to explore your entrepreneurship during your gap year to see if it as easy as you think?
Reply 8
Original post by Abdullahirea34
ecommerce store which i have success with in the past, apps, selling codes to companies etc.

I can see why your parents think you aren't able to make a decision for yourself. Get a real job instead of following dumb tiktok fads full time, you can be a dropshipper or saas queen in your own time.

To be clear, go do a degree in computer science if that's really your 'dream' and pursue those things as projects on the side, they can serve as useful side projects or even convert into an entrepreneurial path if you're one of the lucky few. But it would be shooting yourself in the head (not foot) to screw your A levels to spite your parents.

Quick Reply

Latest