The Student Room Group

Higher Physics 2018-19 Unofficial Markscheme

Original post by StuckInReverse
Here's the MC paper with my answers and working. No guarantee that the answers are right although I did feel pretty confident about them. Interested to see if others got similar answers ...

Worked on checking StuckInReverse answers:

I have the Section 2 Q'paper now decent images thankyou TurboFan' paper-images >link< (give these guys a rep for there effort everyone).
(some of these Q's I dont have marks so just guessed sorry SOLUTIONS NOW LOCKED)

*solutions completed (see attached pdf-sorted):pepsi:

HP2019_Section1-2_answers.pdf (located on my server)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomctutor
:ms:I'm working on checking StuckInReverse answers, i'll post the solutions here soon (come back to this post #101 for updates): (see attached pdf)

Anyone up the Section 2 Q'paper decent images please!

Set a new one up here and left the old post where it was, hope thats okay :smile:
Reply 2
Yes ok ill point through any links on original thread
Higher Physics 2018-19
to here great, thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
@tomctutor @Evil Homer
Thank you so much! :h:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
@tomctutor Thanks so much for this! Just one question though, I got E for 10 (that they were all correct) but in your marking scheme it says the answer to that was D, so III (The mass of a galaxy can be estimated by the orbital speed of the stars within the galaxy) wasn't correct, but on page 40 of the course spec at https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/HigherCourseSpecPhysics.pdf it says "Knowledge that the mass of a galaxy can be estimated by the orbital speed of stars within it."

I'd appreciate it if you could clarify this. Thanks so much again for this, I really appreciate it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Sbneelu: Yes thats in the spec I agree, thankyou will ammend my soln.
Its a hard one, I was thinking of Galileo Principle
"the motion of a body due to gravity independent of its mass"
but realized it is dependent on the Mass of the source of the gravitational field!
Thankyou again boobie by me.:ashamed2:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks for uploading this, mildly annoyed that I seem to have gotten 24 wrong, but otherwise happy, wonder if anyone’s got the second paper.
Have you got photos of the paper 1 questions to go along with the answers? thanks
:ms:I'm working on checking StuckInReverse answers, i'll post the solutions here soon (come back to this post #1 for updates): (see attached pdf)

I have the Section 2 Q'paper now decent images thankyou TurboFan' paper-images >link< (give these guys a rep for there effort everyone).
I'm working on Paper2 soln now don't know when ill finish but they'll be put up here on this post.
:ms:I'm working on checking StuckInReverse answers, i'll post the solutions here soon (come back to this post #1 for updates): (see attached pdf)

I'm working on Paper2 soln now don't know when ill finish but they'll be put up here on this post.

Thanks for making this!

No bor:smile:
Reply 10
Shouldn’t 1b) have the mass as 57x10-3 for the mass as it’s 57g rather than kg?

For question 2a) would you use w=mgsin0 instead of w=mg or am I just stupid?

For you questions 1-2 of section 2:

For bi) You have said 57kg instead of 0.057kg as the question says 57g. So you answer is off by a factor of 1000 and so is bii.
Reply 13
Original post by Nhianny
Shouldn’t 1b) have the mass as 57x10-3 for the mass as it’s 57g rather than kg?

Youre absolutely right well noticed sorted thankyou! Tom
Reply 14
Original post by RadicalGamer
For question 2a) would you use w=mgsin0 instead of w=mg or am I just stupid?

Hmm what can I say :no:
Youre absolutely right well noticed sorted thankyou! Tom

How many marks would you lose for not converting it into kg
Thanks for these!

For Q9b, I didn't do anything with a graph but I said you could measure the irradiance with the lamp at different distances to the light sensor and then multiply I by the square of d for each measurement to get Id^2 = k. If k was constant for all the measurements, then Id^2 = k. That can be rearranged to I = k/d^2, which is the inverse square law. How many marks do you think I'd get for that?
Original post by sbneelu
For Q9b, I didn't do anything with a graph but I said you could measure the irradiance with the lamp at different distances to the light sensor and then multiply I by the square of d for each measurement to get Id^2 = k. If k was constant for all the measurements, then Id^2 = k. That can be rearranged to I = k/d^2, which is the inverse square law. How many marks do you think I'd get for that?

You should be able to get full marks (3/3) as long as you talked about the other things in terms of measurements and calculations
Ah great, thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by cmcgregor14
You should be able to get full marks (3/3) as long as you talked about the other things in terms of measurements and calculations
Original post by Lil Impulse
How many marks would you lose for not converting it into kg

My guess is 2 marks. If you look on 2007 higher marking scheme. Then just before the answers show up, there is a whole section on wrong calculations and how much you get for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending