The Student Room Group

OCR A: AS Further Mathematics: Statistics (paper 2) 16th May 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by etotheipi1
Cool. I misstepped in the last question by thinking that only adjacent positions could switch so instead of the probability being (nc2 + 1)/n! I got (n)/n!, which led to a result of 6 instead of 7 but the rest of the method was exactly the same. Do you think that will still get any marks?

I did that - i used spearman’s rank to get that - I’m hoping for 1 mark as I misinterpreted that like you! Someone else I knew did the same thing
Reply 41
Original post by etotheipi1
Cool. I misstepped in the last question by thinking that only adjacent positions could switch so instead of the probability being (nc2 + 1)/n! I got (n)/n!, which led to a result of 6 instead of 7 but the rest of the method was exactly the same. Do you think that will still get any marks?

I don't know. I was rushing that one because I only had 4 minutes left so I made some stupid arithmetic error half way through and got a wrong answer. Hopefully we'll both still get some method marks if OCR are feeling generous :smile:
Does anyone remember a question early on where it was like spearman’s rank < 1 and there were 9 rankings. did the question ask for the smallest possible value of spearman’s rank or largest I think I did the opposite?

Also - for like Q1, was anyone else wondering why the expectation was worth 1 mark but the variance was worth 2 marks? I thought I had missed something...?
Reply 43
Original post by sarunthan87
Does anyone remember a question early on where it was like spearman’s rank < 1 and there were 9 rankings. did the question ask for the smallest possible value of spearman’s rank or largest I think I did the opposite?

Also - for like Q1, was anyone else wondering why the expectation was worth 1 mark but the variance was worth 2 marks? I thought I had missed something...?

It asked for the largest that was less than 1. I did the same at first and thought it wanted smallest but then I quickly changed it towards the end. I got something like 0.983 or similar.

And yeah that thing in Q1 threw me so I kept checking it to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
I think it was largest spearman's under 1. I hope so anyway as that's what I did

Reply 45
Original post by DerivativeName
I think it was largest spearman's under 1. I hope so anyway as that's what I did

Same here. Did you get something like 0.983 or similar?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Loci Pi

Ahh lol yeah i got the same so I did it right but it sounds wrong because, you first find that sum of d^2 > 0. The next possible value for it take is n=2 and then subbed that in.
Yeah I think so but I did write it down in the last second

Original post by Loci Pi
Reply 48
Yeah I think so but I did write it down in the last second

That's good! Thank you :smile:
Got 59/60 which would be 0.983 so you are right :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 50
59/60 is 0.98333.... though?

Yeah but we were told to round it to either 3 sf or 4 sf, if you didn't round it and just wrote a long answer like 0.98333333 they can take away marks for not rounding. Either giving the exact fraction or 3 sf would be fine though :smile:
Original post by Loci Pi
Yeah but we were told to round it to either 3 sf or 4 sf, if you didn't round it and just wrote a long answer like 0.98333333 they can take away marks for not rounding. Either giving the exact fraction or 3 sf would be fine though :smile:

I put it to 3sf but yeah 59/60 is definitely that value either way - okay this paper didn’t go as bad as I initially felt so I’m glad
Reply 52
I put it to 3sf but yeah 59/60 is definitely that value either way - okay this paper didn’t go as bad as I initially felt so I’m glad

Same here. Today's paper has been a bit of reassurance for me in case Mechanics on Monday goes badly. I'm glad u found the paper okay :smile:
Reply 53
What distribution did people use for the beads question?
Reply 54
Original post by TJM4
What distribution did people use for the beads question?

For the algebraic part that was like 5 marks (to find the value of P) that was Geometric Distribution and the answer was 3/5 (well probably anyway - like 4 people on here agreed it was) :smile:
Reply 55
So what does everyone estimate for the Stats boundaries for an A?

I reckon it will be between 41-43 for an A, so similar to last year's boundaries.
You think? I think it'll be higher. It was much easier than the pure and I don't see that boundary being lower than 40. Also I I found it easier than the 2018 paper think it'll be 45-48, similar to last year's core paper(47)
Original post by Loci Pi
So what does everyone estimate for the Stats boundaries for an A?

I reckon it will be between 41-43 for an A, so similar to last year's boundaries.
Reply 57
You think? I think it'll be higher. It was much easier than the pure and I don't see that boundary being lower than 40. Also I I found it easier than the 2018 paper think it'll be 45-48, similar to last year's core paper(47)

Yeah most people in my class found it similar to last year's paper, maybe a little bit easier. Personally I found it slightly easier than last year, so I thought the boundaries would be similar, maybe 1 or 2 marks higher. But lots of people on here seem to have found it easier than last year so the boundaries will probably be higher than I thought.
Your estimate for the boundaries seems good though :smile:
The question is what the grade boundaries for the pure will be? I totally messed that one up. I think it'll be 32-just a bit lower than last year's mechanics.
Reply 59
Original post by maths6789
The question is what the grade boundaries for the pure will be? I totally messed that one up. I think it'll be 32-just a bit lower than last year's mechanics.

That would actually be fantastic if the Pure boundaries were that low, but I doubt they will be. I ran out of time on pure so that's messed me up! I predict it will be around 41 or 42 out of 60 for an A in Pure, knowing OCR I doubt it will be lower than 40 :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending