The Student Room Group

What can I do with a Biology degree?

I recently changed my offer from Biomedical Science to Biology, as I enjoy the sound of the course and as my favourite parts of my biology a level are the genetics and evolution side of things. I was hoping there'd be an entry into some sort of animal work (as nothing vet based is available for me) but it doesn't look like these are really possible. What other paths are available with this degree?
Why is nothing animal based available to you? You could do something like animal science or even a lower qualification as a stepping stone. Biology degrees are academic so don't lead to specific jobs so you can do pretty much anything that uses your transferable skills.
Original post by jam1e
I recently changed my offer from Biomedical Science to Biology, as I enjoy the sound of the course and as my favourite parts of my biology a level are the genetics and evolution side of things. I was hoping there'd be an entry into some sort of animal work (as nothing vet based is available for me) but it doesn't look like these are really possible. What other paths are available with this degree?
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Why is nothing animal based available to you? You could do something like animal science or even a lower qualification as a stepping stone. Biology degrees are academic so don't lead to specific jobs so you can do pretty much anything that uses your transferable skills.

How would I go into animal science?
Original post by jam1e
How would I go into animal science?

Apply for a course!
Reply 4
Apply for a course!

A bachelors or is there options after doing a biology degree? I was going to do zoology at undergrad but based on my location and such it didn’t provide many outcomes for me
Original post by jam1e
A bachelors or is there options after doing a biology degree? I was going to do zoology at undergrad but based on my location and such it didn’t provide many outcomes for me

Have you actually looked any of this up? I just did a basic google search which I’m sure you can do too. Is there a reason why you want to just stay where you are?
Reply 6
Have you actually looked any of this up? I just did a basic google search which I’m sure you can do too. Is there a reason why you want to just stay where you are?

I’ve done a lot of research into my courses, which is why I changed my mind from applying to psychology, to biomedical science, and then after applying switching my offer to biology. I’m a disabled student so staying here where my support is both in and out of education is ideal for me
Original post by jam1e
I’ve done a lot of research into my courses, which is why I changed my mind from applying to psychology, to biomedical science, and then after applying switching my offer to biology. I’m a disabled student so staying here where my support is both in and out of education is ideal for me

Ok well go on ucas and do a course search and then narrow down by area. You may also want to look at disabled student support available.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Ok well go on ucas and do a course search and then narrow down by area. You may also want to look at disabled student support available.

I’ve already chosen my course and had my support sorted out as im due to start in September as long as I meet my offer. I was just wondering what else this degree can lead to other than things like Embryology, Genetics etc
Original post by jam1e
I’ve already chosen my course and had my support sorted out as im due to start in September as long as I meet my offer. I was just wondering what else this degree can lead to other than things like Embryology, Genetics etc

Right so your question is answered above then. Also things like genetics and embryology may need additional qualifications based on what you want to do. Good luck!
Original post by jam1e

Would zoology be suited more for you then? Zoology is focussed purely on animal studies. If you do bio, there's gonna be a lot of stuff you won't like.

Biology paths? Uh, well medical stuff, research, you can look up all this stuff on google yourself tbh
Reply 11
I enjoy most areas of biology, I just see myself more suited towards working with animals but based on location and such zoology didn't provide many paths for me. I enjoy lab work, I'm just unsure if my degree will likely lead to this as I'm aware most science jobs are highly competitive these days
Original post by neuronal
Would zoology be suited more for you then? Zoology is focussed purely on animal studies. If you do bio, there's gonna be a lot of stuff you won't like.

Biology paths? Uh, well medical stuff, research, you can look up all this stuff on google yourself tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending