The Student Room Group

Moonlight sonata 3rd

I’m currently doing grade 8 piano (ABRSM if that makes any difference- did grade 7 recently). I can play the first two movements so far and over the summer would like to learn the 3rd. Is this too much?
Original post by Umaurma
I’m currently doing grade 8 piano (ABRSM if that makes any difference- did grade 7 recently). I can play the first two movements so far and over the summer would like to learn the 3rd. Is this too much?

Have a go at it, but I'd say it's more diploma level than a current grade 7 student piece. The first movement is probably grade 5, the second 7 (I think it's deceptively difficult) but the third is a order of magnitude more difficult.

Don't want to put you off, but equally don't get disheartened by it. It will probably take more than just the summer to get that under your fingers :smile: It might be better to polish the first two movements, particularly the second.
Original post by Reality Check
Have a go at it, but I'd say it's more diploma level than a current grade 7 student piece. The first movement is probably grade 5, the second 7 (I think it's deceptively difficult) but the third is a order of magnitude more difficult.

Don't want to put you off, but equally don't get disheartened by it. It will probably take more than just the summer to get that under your fingers :smile: It might be better to polish the first two movements, particularly the second.

Yeah the sheet music is horrifying :colonhash: The second one gets a little wobbly so I could do with polishing that off and wait until I’m done with grade 8. Thank you! xxx
Original post by Umaurma
Yeah the sheet music is horrifying :colonhash: The second one gets a little wobbly so I could do with polishing that off and wait until I’m done with grade 8. Thank you! xxx

You're welcome. You've probably heard the famous Liszt description of the allegretto as a 'flower between two chasms', referring to its standing between the peaceful first movement and the tempestuous third. Getting this 'feeling' right is something to work on. I also think the first movement is much more difficult than it looks - 'notation' wise, it's grade 5 or 6, but to get the right feeling without over-sentimentality or exaggeration is really difficult.

The main problem with the third is the dexterity needed along with the expression. For me, concentrating on the expression results in a load of wrong notes. Conversely, getting it technically 'perfect' results in a flat, expressionless rendering of it. I might nail it in the next 30 years!
Original post by Reality Check
You're welcome. You've probably heard the famous Liszt description of the allegretto as a 'flower between two chasms', referring to its standing between the peaceful first movement and the tempestuous third. Getting this 'feeling' right is something to work on. I also think the first movement is much more difficult than it looks - 'notation' wise, it's grade 5 or 6, but to get the right feeling without over-sentimentality or exaggeration is really difficult.

The main problem with the third is the dexterity needed along with the expression. For me, concentrating on the expression results in a load of wrong notes. Conversely, getting it technically 'perfect' results in a flat, expressionless rendering of it. I might nail it in the next 30 years!

Beautifully put :h: I completely agree with you- trying to find the balance is extremely difficult. Good luck! xx
Original post by Umaurma

I know a few people who are doing this for diploma at the moment, but if you really love it then definitely go for it! It’s such an incredible movement and the summer would be a great time to learn it!

Quick Reply

Latest