The Student Room Group

Does anyone know if you can study Advanced Highers at college?

Hello,

I'm in Sixth Year now and I've just finished my second set of highers, I didn't get good grades in Fifth Year due to a lack of willingness which I've not made a repeat of this year.

I wish to study Mathematics at University next year despite being declined this year due to low grades from fifth year without any certainty I would get the grades required this year.

It's recommended I have advanced higher mathematics and I can't go back and sit it at my old school.

If anyone knows of any colleges in Glasgow/Ayrshire or any way for me to sit an advanced higher in mathematics next year please let me know.

I don’t think colleges really offer adv highers (especially in maths sadly) I think your best bet is to do a hnc In something that has a maths part too it stuff like accounting, computing or engineering. You should contact the unis you are interested in and ask them what college qualifications they allow for you to progress to uni.
I know that NESCOL in Aberdeen offers AH Maths, although I also know that some years have not had enough applicants so it's been more of a self-study and come in to do the exams kinda' thing.
Reply 3
Original post by tigermangos
I don’t think colleges really offer adv highers (especially in maths sadly) I think your best bet is to do a hnc In something that has a maths part too it stuff like accounting, computing or engineering. You should contact the unis you are interested in and ask them what college qualifications they allow for you to progress to uni.

What I was told is that no HNC/HND is sufficient enough to count towards entry for a Maths degree. The other option they said was to do Level 7 Open University Modules in Maths as that's more relevant and content from 1st Year Uni anyway so they'd accept them.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 4
Original post by FlightVelocity
I know that NESCOL in Aberdeen offers AH Maths, although I also know that some years have not had enough applicants so it's been more of a self-study and come in to do the exams kinda' thing.

Aberdeen is way too far from me, but thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by Aaron_0610
What I was told is that no HNC/HND is sufficient enough to count towards entry for a Maths degree. The other option they said was to do Level 7 Open University Modules in Maths as that's more relevant and content from 1st Year Uni anyway so they'd accept them.

Thanks for your help.

Feel free to google colleges around you where you could study AH Maths. I feel like there definitely should be some colleges offering it, at least in Glasgow. Otherwise, go with the Open Uni. I'm studying a few third year language modules with them right now and I can't recommend them enough. Absolutely fantastic and I originally did my undergraduate degree at Edinburgh University. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending