The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Religious studies predictions for 2019

OCR A-level Religious studies predictions for 2019

Scroll to see replies

Hard to say because there has only been one A2 exam for the new spec. I would say ontological argument, problem of evil, business ethics and sexual ethics will come up, and probably natural law or situation ethics. The rest I dunno.
Reply 2
There is zero point trying to predict what will come up because there is no way to know.

Come on, surely you all know that really, right?

Just study everything!

Students at this time of year start to believe in predictions because they haven't studied enough, feel overwhelmed, and all start to delude each other. It's probably correlated with people who believe in astrology! Not to get too preachy..
(edited 4 years ago)
that's not the point, you should learn everything yes, but it's useful to have direction in that an hour before your exam, you know everything but what is most likely to come up will be the last thing you read. It's being prepared.
Reply 4
lol calm tf down. whats the point on posting on this forum if u got nothing useful to say? some of us have finished content and essay plans and would just like some indication of focus. -_-
Original post by Joe312
There is zero point trying to predict what will come up because there is no way to know.

Come on, surely you all know that really, right?

Just study everything!

Students at this time of year start to believe in predictions because they haven't studied enough, feel overwhelmed, and all start to delude each other. It's probably correlated with people who believe in astrology! Not to get too preachy..
Reply 5
Original post by MehvinJ
lol calm tf down. whats the point on posting on this forum if u got nothing useful to say? some of us have finished content and essay plans and would just like some indication of focus. -_-

I think it is useful to dispel illusions people may have regarding the helpfulness of predictions.

You may not like that truth but it's the truth nonetheless, sorry mate! Calm down!
Your dispelling of illusions is unwanted - leave our pre exam preparations to the students.
Original post by Joe312
I think it is useful to dispel illusions people may have regarding the helpfulness of predictions.

You may not like that truth but it's the truth nonetheless, sorry mate! Calm down!
Reply 7
Original post by stellacharles
Your dispelling of illusions is unwanted - leave our pre exam preparations to the students.

For those that want to avoid over-revising one topic under the misguided view that it is somehow more likely to come up, listen to me!

Everyone else, feel free to ignore me!

:wink:
Reply 8
ive legit finished all content and available essay plans. I have nothing else to do but to predict.

Original post by Joe312
For those that want to avoid over-revising one topic under the misguided view that it is somehow more likely to come up, listen to me!

are you literally on here just to do this? why you hanging around telling us what we should and shouldn't do? It's helped me so far.
For the rest of us that would like predictions, they are here on this link to another thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=83581192&highlight=religious%20studies%20OCR%20a%20level%20predictions%202019
Original post by Joe312

Reply 10
Did the AS exam last year - predicted all the topics. In 3 years of AS, they have not overlapped a single topic from the previous year - except from situation ethics this year which also came up in last years ethics. No point revising design arguments (came up last year A2), Boethius and Free will (very specific question on this last year in A2) and Religious experience (came up last year AS and A2). It's not "lucky" or "flukey"; RS is easy to predict unlike other subjects becuase there are only 4 questions and exam boards wouldn't overlap 2 topics. MAX, 100% MAX, they would overlap one topic in which case you answer the other 3. It's more about studying smart. You can say what you want to say and keep being stubborn but if you want to reply back on this forum after philosophy of religion and proove me wrong then go ahead because I can gurantee you they won't overlap two topics - shown by the trend in AS papers. For everyone else, no point revising Boethius on free will, design arguments and religious experience - revise the rest.
Original post by Joe312

Reply 11
Original post by MehvinJ
ive legit finished all content and available essay plans. I have nothing else to do but to predict.

You think there's no more revision you could get and you're guaranteed 100% marks..? impressed!
Original post by stellacharles
are you literally on here just to do this? why you hanging around telling us what we should and shouldn't do? It's helped me so far.
For the rest of us that would like predictions, they are here on this link to another thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=83581192&highlight=religious%20studies%20OCR%20a%20level%20predictions%202019

I clearly explained that misinforming people that predicting things is possible will cause them to over-revise a particular topic. I didn't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, I clearly explained that those who want to avoid wasting time better avoid trying to predict things but those that want to waste their time are perfectly free to do so! If you can't see that there's a danger in pretending that predicting things is possible then you can't see that!
Original post by trey_44
Did the AS exam last year - predicted all the topics. In 3 years of AS, they have not overlapped a single topic from the previous year - except from situation ethics this year which also came up in last years ethics. No point revising design arguments (came up last year A2), Boethius and Free will (very specific question on this last year in A2) and Religious experience (came up last year AS and A2). It's not "lucky" or "flukey"; RS is easy to predict unlike other subjects becuase there are only 4 questions and exam boards wouldn't overlap 2 topics. MAX, 100% MAX, they would overlap one topic in which case you answer the other 3. It's more about studying smart. You can say what you want to say and keep being stubborn but if you want to reply back on this forum after philosophy of religion and proove me wrong then go ahead because I can gurantee you they won't overlap two topics - shown by the trend in AS papers. For everyone else, no point revising Boethius on free will, design arguments and religious experience - revise the rest.

How do you know that the trend will continue, and how do you know that the As trend if it exists will be replicated in the A2 questions? If you studied more philosophy instead of skipping stuff you'd be realising this lol!

It's fine for you if you want to risk your grades on those assumptions but you shouldn't be upset when I point out that you are making assumptions because others deserve to be informed if they are going to read your claims, they should know the risks you are taking!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
neek
Original post by Joe312
You think there's no more revision you could get and you're guaranteed 100% marks..? impressed!

I clearly explained that misinforming people that predicting things is possible will cause them to over-revise a particular topic. I didn't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do, I clearly explained that those who want to avoid wasting time better avoid trying to predict things but those that want to waste their time are perfectly free to do so! If you can't see that there's a danger in pretending that predicting things is possible then you can't see that!

How do you know that the trend will continue, and how do you know that the As trend if it exists will be replicated in the A2 questions? If you studied more philosophy instead of skipping stuff you'd be realising this lol!

It's fine for you if you want to risk your grades on those assumptions but you shouldn't be upset when I point out that you are making assumptions because others deserve to be informed if they are going to read your claims, they should know the risks you are taking!
Reply 13
Original post by trey_44
neek

umad?
Never said i will get 100% learn to read.
Original post by Joe312
umad?
Reply 15
Do you think its okay to not revise one topic aka natural attributes, of course im gonna go over everything else but natural attribuets confuses me bare
Original post by MehvinJ
Never said i will get 100% learn to read.
So you could not revise that topic but if you are going to do so make sure u are 100% secure with the others. Because just in case, if that one does come up, you will HAVE to answer the other three. But yeah defo a difficult topic.
Original post by dx31
Do you think its okay to not revise one topic aka natural attributes, of course im gonna go over everything else but natural attribuets confuses me bare
Reply 17
Yeah i know fml looool, I hope religious experience doesnt come up either
Original post by MehvinJ
So you could not revise that topic but if you are going to do so make sure u are 100% secure with the others. Because just in case, if that one does come up, you will HAVE to answer the other three. But yeah defo a difficult topic.
Reply 18
Can anyone help with this question: "Assess the view that any attempt to discuss the mind-body distinction is a category error"
Another couple of topics that are really worth going over are philosophical influences (Plato + Aristotle) and soul, mind and body, as I believe I'm right in saying they haven't come up in the last couple of years.

I think that at this stage in particular, predictions are the best thing to do! With such limited time left, you want to maximise your efficiency by going over topics that have the highest probability of coming up, and those that you feel more unsure about! I see very little point in going over topics that came up last year, and you feel confident about. Sure, if you had all the time in the world, of course you'd want to go over everything, just in case! But with the exam only being a couple of days away, that's simply not realistic.

Edit: I know this paper is a while away, but I'm curious to know if anyone else is doing Buddhism? Seems unlikely as there are barely any resources for it, but that's what my teachers chose to focus on! My hope is that because so few people will be doing it, grade boundaries will be lower.

Sorry for all my rambling; when I start typing I struggle to stop lol
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending