The Student Room Group

Questions About Getting into Veterinary Med

Hey everyone,

I’m currently studying Biomedical Sciences BSc with Honors and was thinking about future progression. I have always wanted to become a vet, particularly a Zoo Vet. I was wondering how my odds were looking for applying to veterinary medicine after my Honours.

My school grades were less then ideal, with relatively low grades in my highers, however I do have an HNC in biology / chemistry, with modules on animal biology, ecology, general bio, cell bio, biochemistry, microbiology and a whole load of chemistry and math modules. I was hoping this might bolster my application as it is equivalent to Advanced highers, with a couple modules above advanced higher level.

I was curious if I would be considered for undergrad entrance into 1st year. I’m aware of several year 2 graduate entry pathways, but thought I might stand a better chance of getting an offer if I applied to 1st year and spent the 5 years on the degree and not 4. If this does not work out I might consider applying to zoology and move onto primatology, as I know I would be accepted into zoology.

If anyone could provide me with some advice I would very much appreciate it. Thank you :biggrin:

*Edit*: I should say that I am a Scottish student.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey, Sorry your thread seems to have been missed in the forum. I'm currently a biovet student and just been accepted into veterinary as a graduate.

Biomed is an acceptable degree course for most of the universities. You require 2:1 or higher at degree level, and then also A-level requirements for some schools.

Work experience is a big part of veterinary and is also used to show motivation and determination - again each school has their own criteria, but roughly you are looking for two weeks spent in veterinary practice and two weeks doing animal husbandry in the 18mths leading up to your application.

I hope this answers some of your questions?

The other thing to think about is the lack of student funding for a second degree course. With veterinary being 5years you are looking at £46,250 for fees, that you need to find yourself - or more if you wanted to continue studying in Scotland!
Original post by Mango..
Hey everyone,

I’m currently studying Biomedical Sciences BSc with Honors and was thinking about future progression. I have always wanted to become a vet, particularly a Zoo Vet. I was wondering how my odds were looking for applying to veterinary medicine after my Honours.

My school grades were less then ideal, with relatively low grades in my highers, however I do have an HNC in biology / chemistry, with modules on animal biology, ecology, general bio, cell bio, biochemistry, microbiology and a whole load of chemistry and math modules. I was hoping this might bolster my application as it is equivalent to Advanced highers, with a couple modules above advanced higher level.

I was curious if I would be considered for undergrad entrance into 1st year. I’m aware of several year 2 graduate entry pathways, but thought I might stand a better chance of getting an offer if I applied to 1st year and spent the 5 years on the degree and not 4. If this does not work out I might consider applying to zoology and move onto primatology, as I know I would be accepted into zoology.

If anyone could provide me with some advice I would very much appreciate it. Thank you :biggrin:

*Edit*: I should say that I am a Scottish student.
Vet school's dont accept HNC's.
You can apply to RVC, Surrey, Bristol and Keele/Harper Adams (Glasgow and Edin too, but who can afford that at 30k per year).
But for the rest of them you would need 2 Advanced highers or A-levels
Reply 3
Original post by PinkTabbyKitten
Hey, Sorry your thread seems to have been missed in the forum. I'm currently a biovet student and just been accepted into veterinary as a graduate.

Biomed is an acceptable degree course for most of the universities. You require 2:1 or higher at degree level, and then also A-level requirements for some schools.

Work experience is a big part of veterinary and is also used to show motivation and determination - again each school has their own criteria, but roughly you are looking for two weeks spent in veterinary practice and two weeks doing animal husbandry in the 18mths leading up to your application.

I hope this answers some of your questions?

The other thing to think about is the lack of student funding for a second degree course. With veterinary being 5years you are looking at £46,250 for fees, that you need to find yourself - or more if you wanted to continue studying in Scotland!

Hi there!

Sorry for my late response haha. I was looking to apply to VetMed year 1 with a BSc in Biomed, but since it is 30k a year I would have to contact my bank about a loan. That said, I also was considering applying to Zoology to instead work in animal research, since I dont think I'll even be considered for vet med.

I was going to do some volunteering at my local vet surgery this year for 5-6 months to try and increase by chances. When you say 2 weeks is needed. Is that 2 weeks total or a few hours a day for 2 weeks?

I know HNCs aren't accepted fir entrance, but I hoped that maybe it would enhance my application. Especially since I did both Animal Biology and Ecology modules as well as getting an A in my grades Unit on a biological topic (malaria).

Thanks for your response :biggrin:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mango..
I was going to do some volunteering at my local vet surgery this year for 5-6 months to try and increase by chances. When you say 2 weeks is needed. Is that 2 weeks total or a few hours a day for 2 weeks?
:biggrin:

2 weeks of full days or a few hours a day for a couple of months. Just make sure you get a reference at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending