The Student Room Group

Magic: the Gathering Core Set 2020

Core Set 2020 is due for release on the 12th of July (Prerelease: 6th-7th of July; on MTG Arena: 2nd of July)! :blow: Card spoilers haven't started yet, but we can still build hype and speculate~

$.jpg

While often not as exciting as other sets, which have more of a running story and flavour to them, that lack of theme allows for reprints back into Standard of cards that might not 'fit' anywhere else. They can also offer a glimpse of what upcoming sets might bring.

So, what are you hoping for/expecting from Core Set 2020? A lot of the hopes and rumors floating around seem to be saying Slivers, which I'd be fine with, I enjoyed them back in Time Spiral.

As for the Planeswalkers... well, we can take a safe guess at who the Red one will be based on that box art, but who would you like to see filling the other slots? I personally want the new characters introduced in War of the Spark get some more development, so fully-fledged Mythic versions of Kasmina and The Wanderer would be awesome (you could make an argument for Teyo, but at least he's been the main character of a book already)! For Black, I want Davriel, and Green... has to be Nissa. :yep:

Scroll to see replies

First three cards have been previewed!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/get-to-know-magics-most-famous-fire-mage-in-these-brand-1835412320

It seems that uncommon Planeswalkers are here to stay... and this one has a +1 Loyalty ability, to boot! They are perhaps less useful bombs on their own than WAR's Fire Artisan, I won't be rushing to make any changes to my Gruulfriends deck based on these previews alone... but if there are lots of Red and Green elementals, who knows? :colone:
(edited 4 years ago)
The novice and acolyte have really great art, it's nice to see a different take on Chandra. Acolyte seems thematically a lot like Nissa (and green planeswalkers generally), creating hasted elementals and proliferating (minus the keyword) loyalty counters (admittedly to red PWs only).

Still, the arts are great and I love novice's outfit :biggrin:

For other PWs, I hope Huatli and Ral Zarek return, since they're my faves :redface:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
The novice and acolyte have really great art, it's nice to see a different take on Chandra. Acolyte seems thematically a lot like Nissa (and green planeswalkers generally), creating hasted elementals and proliferating (minus the keyword) loyalty counters (admittedly to red PWs only).

Still, the arts are great and I love novice's outfit :biggrin:

For other PWs, I hope Huatli and Ral Zarek return, since they're my faves :redface:

The fact that one creates elementals, one boosts elementals, and one burns everything which isn't an elemental, means that I'll have to make a mono red deck running all three at some point. Even if there are faster/better ways to win in mono red, it has to be done. :giggle:

If I wanted to take it to levels of extreme stupidity (which I'd be willing to do in an unranked game once or twice, for fun), I could throw in four copies of each, four of Fire Artisan, four of Chandra's Triumph and four of Chandra's Pyrohelix for a tribal Chandra deck. :rofl: Maybe even a few Bold Pyromancers, and the 2020 Planeswalker deck version (which will also presumably be Chandra).

Art-wise, I like Acolyte the best. That unimpressed monk in the background. :giggle:

Planeswalkers in Core sets are *usually* mono-coloured (with exceptions, such as 2019's Nicol Bolas), so I'm not so sure about Ral, as much as I'd like to see more of him. Mono-White Huatli would be... interesting, too!
Original post by AngryJellyfish
The fact that one creates elementals, one boosts elementals, and one burns everything which isn't an elemental, means that I'll have to make a mono red deck running all three at some point. Even if there are faster/better ways to win in mono red, it has to be done. :giggle:

If I wanted to take it to levels of extreme stupidity (which I'd be willing to do in an unranked game once or twice, for fun), I could throw in four copies of each, four of Fire Artisan, four of Chandra's Triumph and four of Chandra's Pyrohelix for a tribal Chandra deck. :rofl: Maybe even a few Bold Pyromancers, and the 2020 Planeswalker deck version (which will also presumably be Chandra).

Art-wise, I like Acolyte the best. That unimpressed monk in the background. :giggle:

Planeswalkers in Core sets are *usually* mono-coloured (with exceptions, such as 2019's Nicol Bolas), so I'm not so sure about Ral, as much as I'd like to see more of him. Mono-White Huatli would be... interesting, too!

Oh that makes sense, I've not been playing long enough to notice any kind of theme in that sense xD I guess now that they've lost Gideon as their default mono-white PW (*sob*) they might be looking for someone to fill that gap, so we might see mono-white Huatli :O

That said, I'd really like to see a Naya Huatli, then I could make a commander deck with her as the commander (instead of Gishrath or Zacama, as while they're cool it'd be nice to be able to cast ones commander before late game lol) :biggrin:

I don't think they really do tricolour planeswalkers outside of commander decks specifically though...which I guess makes sense, tricolour decks are pretty tricky to balance the mana in for constructed, especially if you're evenly split between the colours and not just splashing one.
Oh that makes sense, I've not been playing long enough to notice any kind of theme in that sense xD I guess now that they've lost Gideon as their default mono-white PW (*sob*) they might be looking for someone to fill that gap, so we might see mono-white Huatli :O

That said, I'd really like to see a Naya Huatli, then I could make a commander deck with her as the commander (instead of Gishrath or Zacama, as while they're cool it'd be nice to be able to cast ones commander before late game lol) :biggrin:

I don't think they really do tricolour planeswalkers outside of commander decks specifically though...which I guess makes sense, tricolour decks are pretty tricky to balance the mana in for constructed, especially if you're evenly split between the colours and not just splashing one.

Ajani would be the 'safe' mono white option, though I am hoping it won't just be 100% Gatewatch again. We've had mono-white Nahiri before, too. And I wouldn't entirely count out one last hurrah for Gideon, since Core sets don't need to fit a specific timeline or plot (hence all these different Chandras).

I'd like to see Red Green Huatli, since those are the colours I use in my dinosaur deck; feels like making her primarily White is a deliberate attempt to force people into Naya colours for dinos. :grumble: I've tried that (with a focus on Majestic Heliopterus, because why not make all my dinosaurs fly?), but kept getting colour screwed. :rip:

A quick search tells me that only Tamiyo (Field Researcher), Sarkhan (Unbroken) and of course Bolas have been three colour, outside of Commander.
Ajani would be the 'safe' mono white option, though I am hoping it won't just be 100% Gatewatch again. We've had mono-white Nahiri before, too. And I wouldn't entirely count out one last hurrah for Gideon, since Core sets don't need to fit a specific timeline or plot (hence all these different Chandras).

I'd like to see Red Green Huatli, since those are the colours I use in my dinosaur deck; feels like making her primarily White is a deliberate attempt to force people into Naya colours for dinos. :grumble: I've tried that (with a focus on Majestic Heliopterus, because why not make all my dinosaurs fly?), but kept getting colour screwed. :rip:

A quick search tells me that only Tamiyo (Field Researcher), Sarkhan (Unbroken) and of course Bolas have been three colour, outside of Commander.

Yeah I played a Naya dino deck in the closed beta cos I had a Zacama AND a Gishrath; it was fun, but I did on occasion still lose due to just having the wrong mana (even with a full set of evolving wilds and lots of dual lands). I probably should've made it mainly Gruul and just splashed white for those plus Huatli, but I liked white removal too much (Fumigate and Ixalan's Binding were my go to cards, I LOVE Ixalan's lol) :tongue:

I didn't even know Sarkhan had any colours other than red :tongue: He looks like a kind of neat PW with the mana fixing on his +1 to help offset the three colours. Might get a physical copy to throw into that Kynaios and Tiro commander deck I bought xD Although I don't know if he really fits into that otherwise :tongue: Mana fixing and 4/4 flying tokens are pretty nice, even if I didn't stuff the deck full of dragons to try and get off his big loyalty ability.

I hope Gideon comes back...in the story as well though :frown: I'd actually like it if they went back to Theros, since that was way before I started playing but a lot of the cards and generally the classical Mediterranean theme of it is pretty cool to me :tongue: Ravnica is ok thematically but not super exciting to me (although some cards like Murmuring Mystic are pretty cool and flavourful in the context of it...also has nice art...also has a great effect :redface: ).
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I played a Naya dino deck in the closed beta cos I had a Zacama AND a Gishrath; it was fun, but I did on occasion still lose due to just having the wrong mana (even with a full set of evolving wilds and lots of dual lands. I probably should've made it mainly Gruul and just splashed white for those plus Huatli, but I liked white removal too much (Fumigate and Ixalan's Binding were my go to cards, I LOVE Ixalan's lol) :tongue:

I didn't even know Sarkhan had any colours other than red :tongue: He looks like a kind of neat PW with the mana fixing on his +1 to help offset the three colours. Might get a physical copy to throw into that Kynaios and Tiro commander deck I bought xD Although I don't know if he really fits into that otherwise :tongue: Mana fixing and 4/4 flying tokens are pretty nice, even if I didn't stuff the deck full of dragons to try and get off his big loyalty ability.

I hope Gideon comes back...in the story as well though :frown: I'd actually like it if they went back to Theros, since that was way before I started playing but a lot of the cards and generally the classical Mediterranean theme of it is pretty cool to me :tongue: Ravnica is ok thematically but not super exciting to me (although some cards like Murmuring Mystic are pretty cool and flavourful in the context of it...also has nice art...also has a great effect :redface: ).

I will definitely miss Ixalan's Binding when it rotates out. Though if it also means no more Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, I think I'll be able to cope. :p:

I play a five colour dragon deck featuring all the Elder dragons from Core 2019, and Sarkhan, Fireblood + Draconic Disciple + Dragon's Hoard + Chromatic Lantern to help with the mana situation. All the red dual lands + a load of burn and cheap red Goblins (including Skirk Prospector to turn the Goblins to mana if needed, plus Goblin Motivator for haste) ensure that I can hold my opponent off long enough for the fun to begin. :colone: Current win ratio: 45%, which I can live with for the amount of fun it brings when it works.

I'm hoping for a return to Innistrad, as I missed both earlier sets, and the eldritch horror theme appeals to me big time. Thankfully, it's rated really low on the Rabiah Scale!
I am disturbed both of you well (artful lounger as jellyfish is long gone) both play it.
Jellyfish you know theres an animated TV series coming to Netflix?
Original post by 999tigger
I am disturbed both of you well (artful lounger as jellyfish is long gone) both play it.

I've been playing on and off since Portal: Three Kingdoms in 1999. :colondollar: Which probably makes next month my 20 year anniversary! :yay:

Jellyfish you know theres an animated TV series coming to Netflix?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5997586 :colone:
I've been playing on and off since Portal: Three Kingdoms in 1999. :colondollar: Which probably makes next July my 20 year anniversary! :yay:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5997586 :colone:

I cant believe it is still going.
I cant believe it is still going.

Stronger than it has been in a long time by my understanding, following the release of Arena into open beta, and the popularity of War of the Spark.
Stronger than it has been in a long time by my understanding, following the release of Arena into open beta, and the popularity of War of the Spark.

Dunno all mumbo jumbo to me. Netflix animation has tended to be more hit than miss. Be a good replacement for Castlevania and Voltron.
Two new cards:

Scheming Symmetry is fantastic. Play it in a mill deck, where you know your opponent won't get to draw whatever card they just searched for. :colone: Cast this, then drop WAR Ashiok or Jace. :coma:

Angel of Vitality could be a 4/4 flyer on turn 3. Fits in nicely with my mono white 'Catbois and Angels' deck... though not as good as other 3 mana options (Resplendent Angel, Gideon Blackblade etc).
(edited 4 years ago)
And two more... Hello, Gruul elementals! :zomg:

https://scryfall.com/card/m20/202/we-are-groot

https://scryfall.com/card/m20/207/creeping-trailblazer

Think I know what direction my Gruulfriends deck will be taking, post-rotation!
(edited 4 years ago)
If I wanted to take it to levels of extreme stupidity (which I'd be willing to do in an unranked game once or twice, for fun), I could throw in four copies of each, four of Fire Artisan, four of Chandra's Triumph and four of Chandra's Pyrohelix for a tribal Chandra deck. :rofl:

Last week, I thought this sounded like a ridiculous idea. But it seems this is exactly what Wizards want us to do! :zomg:

Chandra's Embercat provides mana ramp for Chandra or Elementals. Chandra's Regulator lets you spam all her different versions' abilities. I'm going to need to start saving rare wildcards. :laugh:
(edited 4 years ago)
And then, they started flooding in. Highlights only, from now on:

White Planeswalker confirmed to be Ajani. I like Ajani, and it's a good card that will work as a decent replacement for C19's Adversary of Tyrants in my mono white deck post-rotation... But, some variation would be nice! I'm really hoping that at least one of the remaining three is a non-Gatewatch card. Still think Kasmina would be awesome.

Chandra's Spitfire is another incredibly good Elemental. A reprint, apparently.

Corpse Knight is going to go so well in my tribal Knights deck! :coma: Hard to imagine that deck surviving Dominaria rotating out though, so it'll be short but sweet.

Nice to see Thrashing Brontodon stick around, I do feel that its 3/4 for 3 CMC + enchantment removal is great value in pretty much any Green deck.

Octoprophet... kinda sucks. I'm just including it for its amazing name. :giggle:
Veil of Summer is a counter counterspell for one Green mana! :coma: I'm kinda tempted to put four of these in every Green deck I have, given how much I hate counterspells, though they'd be pretty useless if my opponent wasn't playing Blue or Black. :giggle:
I love the joke names that Scryfall gives to cards previewed in a foreign language while waiting for an official English name. :giggle: "Roma Downey" combos with Resplendent Angel so well (thinking turn 1 Ajani's Welcome, turn 2 this, turn 3 Resplendent); this card is going to be a must in my mono white deck. Again, only until rotation, but I expect to play a lot in those three months!
(edited 4 years ago)
Starfield Mystic should go nicely in my Selesnya Enchantments deck. :coma: Going to need a new Enchanter to replace Satyr going forward, though. That or a different card draw mechanic.

Quick Reply

Latest