The Student Room Group

English gcse speacb

I need help in what to talk about for my English GCSE speaking exam. It’s in 3 weeks and I have no clue

Scroll to see replies

what topic do you want to do it on, i may be able to help :smile:
Original post by Salma.w
I need help in what to talk about for my English GCSE speaking exam. It’s in 3 weeks and I have no clue
Reply 2
Honestly I’m not sure any ideas would help 🤗
Original post by LeahMairi
what topic do you want to do it on, i may be able to help :smile:
Social media? Do we really know who is behind the screen? is it safe?
Original post by Salma.w
Honestly I’m not sure any ideas would help 🤗
i can write a speech for you if you want x
Social media? Do we really know who is behind the screen? is it safe?
Reply 5
Oh no you don’t have to but can u like give ideas on how to branch off of the social media
i can write a speech for you if you want x
Reply 6
Write a speech about a high level question relating to a topic, motif or theme in a book you're studying. For example, I did in my Speaking Exam: To what extent is Macbeth a tragic hero? - in the play of Macbeth by Shakespeare.

Find a question, perhaps ask your teacher too, and then research on the topic.
Reply 7
My teacher couldn’t help us as he was our moderator
Original post by Sam252
Write a speech about a high level question relating to a topic, motif or theme in a book you're studying. For example, I did in my Speaking Exam: To what extent is Macbeth a tragic hero? - in the play of Macbeth by Shakespeare.

Find a question, perhaps ask your teacher too, and then research on the topic.
Here are some themes for what you might want to do:
-Social Media
-Politics
-Veganism/Vegetarianism
-Seaworld (google it, really interesting documentary)
-Life after Death
-Religion
-Global Warming
-Plastics
-Death Penalty

As long as there is a topic where you can say a lot, and it is controversial, then you should pass or even merit/distinction. I did Religion and got distinction because I added in a couple of complicated words and it was controversial.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Salma.w
Oh no you don’t have to but can u like give ideas on how to branch off of the social media

How about how Social Media affects body image, then you can relate to Instagram models lowering self-esteem etc and talk about how the number of likes someone is getting takes over their life. You can relate to Love Island if you want, say how that is putting out a bad image of what people have to look like to be pretty.
I would advise using a very controversial topic - easier to come up with something more convincing. I chose euthanasia for mine and got a distinction.
Reply 12
Original post by alexdharris
-Social Media
-Politics
-Veganism/Vegetarianism
-Life after Death
-Religion
-Global Warming
-Plastics
-Death Penalty

As long as there is a topic where you can say a lot, and it is controversial, then you should pass or even merit/distinction. I did Religion and got distinction because I added in a couple of complicated words and it was controversial.

Thank you might do sea world or death penalty
'Blackfish' documentary on Netflix is about seaworld, should give you some inspiration.
Original post by Salma.w
Thank you might do sea world or death penalty
Reply 14
Thank you
'Blackfish' documentary on Netflix is about seaworld, should give you some inspiration.
what could i talk about in religion?
-Social Media
-Politics
-Veganism/Vegetarianism
-Life after Death
-Religion
-Global Warming
-Plastics
-Death Penalty

this is the speech that I did...... I got a distinction............. I hope this helps :wink2:

As any teenager knows, people do not always mean what they say. They swear they will ring, then they don't. They profess undying love but are already planning their next conquest.

If it's hard to know whether you are being spun a line when face to face with someone, it is going to be much harder keyboard to keyboard over the Internet. As more and more people build friendships and business contacts in the Internet's Usenet discussion forums, on Internet Relay Chat channels (a text-based version of CB radio or the telephone chat lines) and in the multi-user dungeons, there will be many more hearts broken and innocents conned.

Many online relationships have a happy ending - some have even led to marriage - but those looking for friends in cyberspace need to be aware of the perils of taking other Internet users at face value.

The ability to hide behind a screen and keyboard has given many Net users the confidence they do not have in other social situations. Those that might be unable to come up with snappy quips in real life find it easier to be witty when they have the time to think and then type their response. Meeting an e-mail friend in the flesh can often be a disappointment.

But being without the power of body language when online can leave some people at a loss. Eva Pascoe, the co-founder of the Cyberia cybercafe, met one boyfriend over the Net. Before meeting him face to face, she spoke to a number of his colleagues to find out what he looked like. "So I knew he was cute!" she says.

What surprised her was the difference in his personality. "Online, my ex was very mellow and open-minded. In real life, he's much more temperamental." Being unable to take advantage of his good looks in cyberspace had made him more humble. "It's quite hard to be cocky online."

For many people, being able to take on a different personality is all good, clean fun. The Australian artist Josephine Starrs says multi-user dungeons have given her the freedom to explore multiple personalities. "You can play at being different genders, different personalities. You can pretend to be a gay man, for example, and pretend to have sex with another man. Or you can describe yourself as a mist if you want."

But the Internet's anonymity has also brought out the dishonesty in some. A new-style Casanova has emerged, choosing his prey from Usenet newsgroups or IRC by their female-sounding e-mail addresses and wooing them with flattering e-mail overtures. These Don Juans then drop them as fast as they find them.

One woman sent her e-mail lover the airfare to meet her, only to find he had disappeared with the money.

As the Internet is used increasingly for business transactions, the problem of online versus real personality will become ever greater. Michael Herbert, head of market research company Michael Herbert Associates, has begun using the Internet as a place to hold international focus group discussions.

Initially, he was worried that holding the discussions in cyberspace rather than face to face would make it difficult for the researchers to pick up nuances from the focus groups. He also expected them to have problems working out the type of people they were talking to, without clues such as the make of their suit, their haircut or their shoes.

In reality, there were few problems. "We had a good sense of who we were talking to. They joked with each other; they were both flippant and serious. They wanted to convey their personalities, not just to us but to each other." But his researchers do not rely entirely on online discussions. "To be really sure, you'd have to do some back-checking - not via the Internet," Mr Herbert says.
Reply 17
Thank you that’s helps now i know how to lay mine out
this is the speech that I did...... I got a distinction............. I hope this helps :wink2:

As any teenager knows, people do not always mean what they say. They swear they will ring, then they don't. They profess undying love but are already planning their next conquest.

If it's hard to know whether you are being spun a line when face to face with someone, it is going to be much harder keyboard to keyboard over the Internet. As more and more people build friendships and business contacts in the Internet's Usenet discussion forums, on Internet Relay Chat channels (a text-based version of CB radio or the telephone chat lines) and in the multi-user dungeons, there will be many more hearts broken and innocents conned.

Many online relationships have a happy ending - some have even led to marriage - but those looking for friends in cyberspace need to be aware of the perils of taking other Internet users at face value.

The ability to hide behind a screen and keyboard has given many Net users the confidence they do not have in other social situations. Those that might be unable to come up with snappy quips in real life find it easier to be witty when they have the time to think and then type their response. Meeting an e-mail friend in the flesh can often be a disappointment.

But being without the power of body language when online can leave some people at a loss. Eva Pascoe, the co-founder of the Cyberia cybercafe, met one boyfriend over the Net. Before meeting him face to face, she spoke to a number of his colleagues to find out what he looked like. "So I knew he was cute!" she says.

What surprised her was the difference in his personality. "Online, my ex was very mellow and open-minded. In real life, he's much more temperamental." Being unable to take advantage of his good looks in cyberspace had made him more humble. "It's quite hard to be cocky online."

For many people, being able to take on a different personality is all good, clean fun. The Australian artist Josephine Starrs says multi-user dungeons have given her the freedom to explore multiple personalities. "You can play at being different genders, different personalities. You can pretend to be a gay man, for example, and pretend to have sex with another man. Or you can describe yourself as a mist if you want."

But the Internet's anonymity has also brought out the dishonesty in some. A new-style Casanova has emerged, choosing his prey from Usenet newsgroups or IRC by their female-sounding e-mail addresses and wooing them with flattering e-mail overtures. These Don Juans then drop them as fast as they find them.

One woman sent her e-mail lover the airfare to meet her, only to find he had disappeared with the money.

As the Internet is used increasingly for business transactions, the problem of online versus real personality will become ever greater. Michael Herbert, head of market research company Michael Herbert Associates, has begun using the Internet as a place to hold international focus group discussions.

Initially, he was worried that holding the discussions in cyberspace rather than face to face would make it difficult for the researchers to pick up nuances from the focus groups. He also expected them to have problems working out the type of people they were talking to, without clues such as the make of their suit, their haircut or their shoes.

In reality, there were few problems. "We had a good sense of who we were talking to. They joked with each other; they were both flippant and serious. They wanted to convey their personalities, not just to us but to each other." But his researchers do not rely entirely on online discussions. "To be really sure, you'd have to do some back-checking - not via the Internet," Mr Herbert says.
Reply 18
Thank you so much
Original post by faris_879
what could i talk about in religion?

How about how Social Media affects body image, then you can relate to Instagram models lowering self-esteem etc and talk about how the number of likes someone is getting takes over their life. You can relate to Love Island if you want, say how that is putting out a bad image of what people have to look like to be pretty.
Reply 19
Thanks I was thinking about death penalty
Original post by dxnnyk
I would advise using a very controversial topic - easier to come up with something more convincing. I chose euthanasia for mine and got a distinction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending