The Student Room Group

Have your say: Two arrested over A-level Maths leak

Here's where you can post a comment about our Two arrested over A-level Maths leak article.

Read the full Two arrested over A-level Maths leak article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Correctly so.

I’ll tag @ns_2 as I know he has opinions.
Big protest tomorrow at Edexcel. Hope everyone is coming on the March. Should be a good day out.
Reply 3
Good.

Ultimately, it is the action of these idiots, and people like them, that ruin examinations for all - yes, some people found papers one and two exceptionally hard, testing items either obscurely on the specification: notably the integration as the limit of a sum question, or testing 'intuition': notably, the method of differences question - but that does not necessitate and should not enable some people to get financial gain from sharing the third paper.

We all worked exceptionally hard for these exams; exams upon which many university applications are dependent on - (luckily, not the case for me; I did the exam a year early, and only have to think about university applications this Summer). The people responsible must feel the full force of the law - 'theft' alone is insufficient.
Reply 4
What would they be charged under, something like internet piracy? Possibly something like breaking and entering or trespassing as well, but at that age they are likely to be school employees so maybe some crazy breach of contract instead.
Original post by ThomH97
What would they be charged under, something like internet piracy? Possibly something like breaking and entering or trespassing as well, but at that age they are likely to be school employees so maybe some crazy breach of contract instead.

It depends on the circumstances.

If they took away the paper not intending to bring it back it would be theft.

If they forced an entry into the building where the papers were kept intending to steal the paper, it would be burglary.

If they stole the paper off an individua,l it would be robbery.

If they opened the packet surreptitiously, copied the paper and then doctored the package so that the opening wasn't obvious, it would be criminal damage.

If they persuaded someone to let them look at the paper by lying to them, it would be fraud.
I am glad that they're treating it seriously! They should be punished for it.
Reply 7
Original post by nulli tertius
It depends on the circumstances.

If they took away the paper not intending to bring it back it would be theft.

If they forced an entry into the building where the papers were kept intending to steal the paper, it would be burglary.

If they stole the paper off an individua,l it would be robbery.

If they opened the packet surreptitiously, copied the paper and then doctored the package so that the opening wasn't obvious, it would be criminal damage.

If they persuaded someone to let them look at the paper by lying to them, it would be fraud.

Would there be any way to prosecute them for the actual sharing (and/or selling) of the information that can be so damaging to students' exams? I feel that's where the greater harm is.
Reply 8
That's atrocious.

why someone would cut open an A-Level Paper, or any paper (although I'm doing GCSE), I don't know.

the law states that papers must NOT be opened until just before the time everyone starts. this won't happen to me, I don't see why they do it to college students.:mad:
Original post by ThomH97
Would there be any way to prosecute them for the actual sharing (and/or selling) of the information that can be so damaging to students' exams? I feel that's where the greater harm is.

Deliberate breach of copyright is a criminal offence but they would prosecute for the theft (or other) charge because of the greater sentencing powers. It isn't very different from for example theft of a credit card. The thief may sell on the card for a few quid but he won't be sentenced on the basis of either the value of the plastic or the price the fence paid for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending