The Student Room Group

Qts skills test numeracy ugh

Hey guys not sure if anyone is still on here!

I’ve passed my literacy skills test (studied English BA so wasn’t too worried about that one) but I’ve failed my numeracy by 3,2 and now 4 marks ! My pgce starts in sep ideally need to pass numeracy by mid August and it’s now July *criessssss*

Have booked for 2 weeks time? Is that enough time to revise ? How can I ensure I pass numeracy this time is numeracy ready any good and worth it (as I really don’t have £20 to waste) I got a c in gcse maths if that helps

Any advice greatly appreciated 😰
Reply 1
Have a look at the QTS group on Facebook. Lots of help on there.
Original post by Nickyniknaks

I’ve passed my literacy skills test (studied English BA so wasn’t too worried about that one) but I’ve failed my numeracy by 3,2 and now 4 marks ! My pgce starts in sep ideally need to pass numeracy by mid August and it’s now July *criessssss*

Have booked for 2 weeks time? Is that enough time to revise ? How can I ensure I pass numeracy this time is numeracy ready any good and worth it (as I really don’t have £20 to waste) I got a c in gcse maths if that helps

https://m.facebook.com/qtsnumeracytutor/videos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 I found that this page and the videos help what are the topics that you struggle with the most too do you remember seeing any on the tests that you found difficult
Hey,

I have mine next week. The last few months I've been revising for my maths GCSE resit. Now that is out of the way with, I've turned my attention to the QTS tests.

I'm using QTS Maths Tutor website (I've brought subscription to the sample tests and videos) and the QTS Maths Tutor book (Pass your Numeracy Skills Test) to revise and I'm occasionally testing myself on the DofE website with their numeracy tests.

I've found my scores are creeping up slowly. I initially was getting 30/40%, but my last couple have been 70% and 80%. I would say 2 weeks is enough if you're getting the practice in. I'm having to fit in revision around my 1 year old and full-time work, so it's pretty tough, but it's doable!
Hey

Wow that’s an amazing work ethic okay so no excuse really just got to keep practicing I guess (as everyone says really), many thanks so your message helped in terms of the motivation as I was getting pretty downhearted more than anything as felt like a I’m going struggle ugh but will keep practicing!

All the best with your maths resit and with your test today too!

Hope you pass all with ease !
Original post by FeatherQuill
Hey,

I have mine next week. The last few months I've been revising for my maths GCSE resit. Now that is out of the way with, I've turned my attention to the QTS tests.

I'm using QTS Maths Tutor website (I've brought subscription to the sample tests and videos) and the QTS Maths Tutor book (Pass your Numeracy Skills Test) to revise and I'm occasionally testing myself on the DofE website with their numeracy tests.

I've found my scores are creeping up slowly. I initially was getting 30/40%, but my last couple have been 70% and 80%. I would say 2 weeks is enough if you're getting the practice in. I'm having to fit in revision around my 1 year old and full-time work, so it's pretty tough, but it's doable!

Spoiler

Original post by zobiaxx99
https://m.facebook.com/qtsnumeracytutor/videos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 I found that this page and the videos help what are the topics that you struggle with the most too do you remember seeing any on the tests that you found difficult
Many thanks will do! As I’ve been hearing a lot about it :smile:
Original post by Matureb
Have a look at the QTS group on Facebook. Lots of help on there.
Hey!

Just wondering if you have sat your numeracy test yet and how you got on?

I have mine booked for Monday and am currently revising off the numeracy ready website which has been quite helpful. Feeling very nervous!

Hey!

I have mine booked for Monday and am currently revising off the numeracy ready website which has been quite helpful. Feeling very nervous!
I had my first one yesterday and surprisingly passed first time! I did 2 days of solid revision before it. My top tips are: do the online practice ones and then watch YouTube videos of someone going through them to see how to do it (even if you got it right, I found there were much quicker ways than I was doing!) Also, practice doing the mental arithmetic, even if you don’t complete the rest of the practices, because this is what let’s most people down :smile: The basics is fractions, decimals, percentages, ratios and conversions- so practice these and you should be fine!
Original post by aimee19662
Hey!

Hey Aimee

thanks for your message! I used the Facebook website but mostly GA Numerical on YouTube and changed my test centre and passed last weekend just in time !!!

How did yours go! Hoping and wishing it went well for you !
:smile:
I’ve passed now guys thanks for all the support and replies!

If anyone struggling/ or has retaken the numeracy repeatedly, comes across this post-my top 7 tips would be:

•Eat a good meal before your exam (I didn’t always do this due to nerves but makes a difference!)

•Change your test centre (think the place I kept failing at was giving me negative vibes-silly but honestly)

•Watch GA Numerical online! (He literally goes through simple solutions to most if not all the question types)

•Try get a few if not all the practice tests (from Dfe website) above the pass mark (having revised) -this should boost your confidence if anything

•During the mental Arithmetic look at the key and listen to the key information the first time it’s said then close your eyes and begin working it out on your whiteboard try to confirm you got the method right by only listening the second time to the information she says

try to relax and remember the maths and method required is actually quite simple!! but they may try and complicate or throw a trick (I.e. anwser using 24hr clock, etc) I used to panick but stopped when realised this through GA Numericals tutorials

•And if your religious pray throughout! This helped me :smile:

All the best to everyone who has to pass before test is scrapped and never give up! I passed after many attempts !
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
I’ve passed now guys thanks for all the support and replies!

If anyone struggling/ or has retaken the numeracy repeatedly, comes across this post-my top 7 tips would be:

•Eat a good meal before your exam (I didn’t always do this due to nerves but makes a difference!)

•Change your test centre (think the place I kept failing at was giving me negative vibes-silly but honestly)

•Watch GA Numerical online! (He literally goes through simple solutions to most if not all the question types)

•Try get a few if not all the practice tests (from Dfe website) above the pass mark (having revised) -this should boost your confidence if anything

•During the mental Arithmetic look at the key and listen to the key information the first time it’s said then close your eyes and begin working it out on your whiteboard try to confirm you got the method right by only listening the second time to the information she says

try to relax and remember the maths and method required is actually quite simple!! but they may try and complicate or throw a trick (I.e. anwser using 24hr clock, etc) I used to panick but stopped when realised this through GA Numericals tutorials

•And if your religious pray throughout! This helped me :smile:

All the best to everyone who has to pass before test is scrapped and never give up! I passed after many attempts !

Definitely agree. I passed first time, and the lady said I did insanely well according to the lady at the front desk (I guess I had better, since I'm doing Chemistry PGCE), but **** me was I nervous for the Maths one; I cope poorly under exam pressure sometimes because my mind wanders and I forget the task at hand.
Thing is that once you've gotten into the stride of it you're flying. It's all about understanding the question, breaking it down into manageable chunks, and remembering key terminology about statistical analysis. Congratulations anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending