The Student Room Group

Nat 5's and Law school

Hey everyone
I recently just finished my nat 5's and I have done well in 5 them which are chemistry, physics, biology, modern studies and maths. I think I have secured A's in them, however in my English exam my timing messed up slightly and I am incredibly worried that I might get a B. I know this might seem desperate but let's say i got a B in English but got an A in everything else, will it affect my chances to get into these following law schools:

Bristol, Durham, nottingham, Oxbridge, Edinburgh.

Would I still have a chance as long as I crush my highers and do well in my LNAT?

Cheers.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's mostly Highers that universities care about and one B at N5 won't mean you miss out on an offer if you have good Highers, LNAT and personal statement. I have friends going to Edinburgh for law this year who got one or two Bs at N5 so it shouldn't affect you too much. I've heard that Oxford take GCSEs (and therefore N5s too) more seriously than Cambridge but I really wouldn't let that put you off Oxford if you do really like it. I doubt that the other three unis would reject you for one B, I applied late to Durham in February (for languages) and got an offer which is now my firm choice. Don't stress too much about them! Good luck for results day :h:
Reply 2
Firstly, best of luck for results day!

I am waiting on Higher results and hoping to apply for Law too. :smile:

It is unlikely that 1 B at N5 will affect you. I got 7 As at N5 but in reality, it doesn't matter too much as universities are more bothered about Highers/AH (particularly Cambridge).

All that would be expected if it was in English would be to try and get that B in N5 up to an A for Higher.

Don't worry about it just now and just wait for results day - take it from there. There is every chance you may have received an A.
Original post by Rishi.R
Hey everyone
I recently just finished my nat 5's and I have done well in 5 them which are chemistry, physics, biology, modern studies and maths. I think I have secured A's in them, however in my English exam my timing messed up slightly and I am incredibly worried that I might get a B. I know this might seem desperate but let's say i got a B in English but got an A in everything else, will it affect my chances to get into these following law schools:

Bristol, Durham, nottingham, Oxbridge, Edinburgh.

Would I still have a chance as long as I crush my highers and do well in my LNAT?

Cheers.
Reply 3
Original post by goldilocks12
It's mostly Highers that universities care about and one B at N5 won't mean you miss out on an offer if you have good Highers, LNAT and personal statement. I have friends going to Edinburgh for law this year who got one or two Bs at N5 so it shouldn't affect you too much. I've heard that Oxford take GCSEs (and therefore N5s too) more seriously than Cambridge but I really wouldn't let that put you off Oxford if you do really like it. I doubt that the other three unis would reject you for one B, I applied late to Durham in February (for languages) and got an offer which is now my firm choice. Don't stress too much about them! Good luck for results day :h:

Thanks!
Well done on getting that offer!
Reply 4
Thanks very much!
Hope you get great higher results!
Original post by 123543

It is unlikely that 1 B at N5 will affect you. I got 7 As at N5 but in reality, it doesn't matter too much as universities are more bothered about Highers/AH (particularly Cambridge).

All that would be expected if it was in English would be to try and get that B in N5 up to an A for Higher.

Don't worry about it just now and just wait for results day - take it from there. There is every chance you may have received an A.
Reply 5
I appreciate any more opinions and answers :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 123543

So is that the case for all the unis I listed above?
Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Rishi.R
So is that the case for all the unis I listed above?
Thanks

Generally speaking, yes. The one University I've heard that pays specific attention/ gives more weight to your GSCE/N5 results is Oxford. If you get an A in Higher and a B in N5, though, I'm sure the vast majorities of Universities, inclusive of the ones you specified, will look beyond it. Highers/Advanced Highers are far more important.
Nat 5s DO NOT matter for Uni.
Unless it specifies in the requirements, they could care less about Nat 5s.
Oh also I want to do Law as well!

Looking at the Unis you have mentioned , it’s all about highers and advanced highers are needed for English unis.

If you get an A in Nat 5 English that won’t help you, if you get a C it doesn’t matter either. It only matters about higher for a subject like law (and advanced for England)
Reply 10
Original post by 123543
Generally speaking, yes. The one University I've heard that pays specific attention/ gives more weight to your GSCE/N5 results is Oxford. If you get an A in Higher and a B in N5, though, I'm sure the vast majorities of Universities, inclusive of the ones you specified, will look beyond it. Highers/Advanced Highers are far more important.

Alright. I appreciate the detailed answer. Thank you very much!
Reply 11
Original post by fucthesqa
Nat 5s DO NOT matter for Uni.
Unless it specifies in the requirements, they could care less about Nat 5s.

That's nice to hear XD. Thanks!
Reply 12
Original post by fucthesqa
Oh also I want to do Law as well!

Looking at the Unis you have mentioned , it’s all about highers and advanced highers are needed for English unis.

If you get an A in Nat 5 English that won’t help you, if you get a C it doesn’t matter either. It only matters about higher for a subject like law (and advanced for England)

Okay. Cheers. Are you thinking of applying to English unis too?
Reply 13
Small update: I ended up getting an A in everything including English so yeah... sorry for wasting your time XD.

I appreciate everyone who took the time to write out a reply. This really helped me in terms of settling the nerves of results day.

Thanks once again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending