The Student Room Group

Going into year 13 after summer wanting to change A Level subject

I'm just finishing year 12 and am hoping to change subject because my predicted grade for it isn't brilliant and I want to do something different because I work so hard with it and it doesn't go anywhere. I want to do something that I know I can actually do without getting a completely awful grade 🤣😂 would it be too late to change? I have 2 or so weeks and then the summer off before September starts and I'm willing to stay on an extra year to finish it xx
Reply 1
What subjects do you do and what do you want to change? If it’s only one subject I know you can do sociology in a year as well as subjects such as politics theology media and film studies at my college those are the subjects offered which you can do in a year so you sit in 1st year and 2nd year lessons to get all the content
My friend took up chemistry over summer (y12 to y13) as a 4th a level. He self learnt all the 1st year content over the summer. The teachers agreed that if he got a C or higher in a chem AS paper mock first day of Y13, they’d put him into Y13 lessons. He ended up getting a B. So I’d advise going to your head of year and head of departments to see if you can do something similar. Obviously instead of taking up a whole new subject you’d be substituting one for another.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for this😁😁
Reply 4
I want to swap biology for geography x
Original post by Fsofoxy
What subjects do you do and what do you want to change? If it’s only one subject I know you can do sociology in a year as well as subjects such as politics theology media and film studies at my college those are the subjects offered which you can do in a year so you sit in 1st year and 2nd year lessons to get all the content
Original post by franellisxo
Thank you so much for this😁😁

Btw if you are going to learn all AS content over the summer it’s going to require an awful lot of time and effort. You’re probably not going to have much of a social life at all.
Reply 6
I wouldn't need to learn it all over summer bc I would be starting with the year 12s next year and staying on an extra year but idk how well my teachers will take it xx
Original post by Jamie_1712
Btw if you are going to learn all AS content over the summer it’s going to require an awful lot of time and effort. You’re probably not going to have much of a social life at all.
Reply 7
The thing with geography a level is that you need to do a NEA (non examined assessment), which is something nice you should consider. A large piece of coursework worth 20% of the a level no matter what specification.
Reply 8
That sounds good. Yeah I'm just not doing great in bio rn and just want to change to geography bc I was originally gonna do it at a level xx
Original post by Deggs_14
The thing with geography a level is that you need to do a NEA (non examined assessment), which is something nice you should consider. A large piece of coursework worth 20% of the a level no matter what specification.
Reply 9
Original post by franellisxo
That sounds good. Yeah I'm just not doing great in bio rn and just want to change to geography bc I was originally gonna do it at a level xx

Ah that's great that you have some prior knowledge about it as you were considering it already. Loads of teachers at my school said i should do biology a level, but I didn't as I knew it's just soooooooooo hard :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest