The Student Room Group

Disappointing predicted grades

Concern:
I got my predicted grades for my UCAS, my grades were terrible not a single one meet the entry requirement.
I want to apply to dentistry at a Russell group uni (hopefully), but obviously this has gone out of the window...
What can I do next ?
Is there still hope of getting into my firm or insurance choices??
Is clearing a good option
Does clearing means I go into 'bad' unis and do the course that would suit my grade instead of my aspiration??

Should I take a foundation year in a non russell uni or take a gap year, please give advice / suggestion
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try to do well in class tests during the remainder of year 12 and at the start of year 13, contribute in class and complete homework to a good standard. Then before applying ask your teachers if they'll change your predicted grades. I got all three of mine moved up.
Reply 2
Original post by Be_alone
Concern:
I got my predicted grades for my UCAS, my grades were terrible not a single one meet the entry requirement.
What can I do next??
Does clearing means I go into 'bad' unis and do the course that would suit my grade instead of my aspiration??

I'm in the same boat as u. What I'm doing is getting tutors for the subjects im struggling in, and I'm going to spend my whole summer revising. Unless these are final grades (which are unlikely) talk to ur teachers, and make sure to improve as well as u can. Worst comes to worst and the grades are truly bad, I'm going to make sure i get amazing grades in the real thing and take a gap year to reapply to unis
Reply 3
Original post by wefjkhbewiu
Try to do well in class tests during the remainder of year 12 and at the start of year 13, contribute in class and complete homework to a good standard. Then before applying ask your teachers if they'll change your predicted grades. I got all three of mine moved up.

You mean after you received your predicted grades based on your Y12 mock result??
Reply 4
Concern:
What can I do next??

What do you think is the reason for the predicted grades?Do you think they are fair?How hard have you been working up to now?
Reply 5
Concern:
What can I do next??
Does clearing means I go into 'bad' unis and do the course that would suit my grade instead of my aspiration?

Original post by lara8010
I'm in the same boat as u. What I'm doing is getting tutors for the subjects im struggling in, and I'm going to spend my whole summer revising. Unless these are final grades (which are unlikely) talk to ur teachers, and make sure to improve as well as u can. Worst comes to worst and the grades are truly bad, I'm going to make sure i get amazing grades in the real thing and take a gap year to reapply to unis

Should I take a foundation year in a non russell uni or take a gap year, which option is better
Reply 6
Should I take a foundation year in a non russell uni or take a gap year, which option is better

You have not told us the reason for your poor grades so we cannot advise you.
Reply 7

depends on u really, ill apply for some just incase but I'd rather work in my gap year and save up as opposed to spending an extra years tuition on a foundation year
Concern:
What can I do next??

Should I take a foundation year in a non russell uni or take a gap year, please give advice / suggestion

Without a lot more information it is impossible to help you. What subjects and grades. What course are looking to do at university.

If your grades are particularly bad perhaps you can re take year 12 and maybe take different subjects. Do you think you can do better than your predictions ie you havent worked for your exams. There is the option of a gap year and retaking A levels which I would normally consider better than a foundation year. Often with foundation years you are restricted to taking your degree there. Universities often dont accept anothers foundation year students so be aware of that. Also the foundation year counts as 1 years student finance so if you change your mind after the foundation year you will end up having to self fund your first year. There is a lot to work on but without knowing the full facts nobody can help you.
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
Without a lot more information it is impossible to help you. What subjects and grades. What course are looking to do at university.

If your grades are particularly bad perhaps you can re take year 12 and maybe take different subjects. Do you think you can do better than your predictions I want to take dentistry at a Russell group uni (hopefully), but i'm scared this has gone out of the window... ie you havent worked for your exams. There is the option of a gap year and retaking A levels which I would normally consider better than a foundation year. Often with foundation years you are restricted to taking your degree there. Universities often dont accept anothers foundation year students so be aware of that. Also the foundation year counts as 1 years student finance so if you change your mind after the foundation year you will end up having to self fund your first year. There is a lot to work on but without knowing the full facts nobody can help you.

I want to take dentistry at a Russell uni (hopefully), but i'm scared this has gone out of the window...
how you thinking about clearing
Reply 10
I want to take dentistry at a Russell uni (hopefully), but i'm scared this has gone out of the window...

Original post by Scotney
You have not told us the reason for your poor grades so we cannot advise you.
Reply 11

Hi, dm if u need any help for a levels.

i did maths,bio and chem and got A*,A,A* in order.

If you dont have good grades. It is highly unlikely you will get in for Dentistry. It is one of the most competitive subjects. It might be worth looking at other subjects line Genetics or Biochemistry. Have a look at Swansea University Medical School. They offer a range of courses and you could then check what other places do them. It isnt likely Dentistry will be in clearing.
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
If you dont have good grades. It is highly unlikely you will get in for Dentistry. It is one of the most competitive subjects. It might be worth looking at other subjects line Genetics or Biochemistry. Have a look at Swansea University Medical School. They offer a range of courses and you could then check what other places do them. It isnt likely Dentistry will be in clearing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Since these grades were rubbish, but they're my Y12 predicted.
Would this definitely end the opportunity of applying to dentistry?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Since these grades were rubbish, but they're my Y12 predicted.
Would this definitely end the opportunity of applying to dentistry?

Nobody can tell you definitely but the university themselves but if somebody applies with CCC for Dentistry you can pretty much expect they wont get offers. There will be loads of applicants with stellar predictions who will get rejected so anyone with that kind of prediction almost certainly wont be looked at.

If you do want to apply for Dentistry you might be best not applying with predicted grades but taking a gap year and applying with actual grades. Predicted grades only matter to get your offer. You still need to reach that in your actual results.

In practice predicted grades tend to be over predicted and the vast majority of students dont reach them. The question is what grades are you likely to get. Why are teachers marking you so low. You need to discuss this with them. If they dont believe you will get much higher grades perhaps you need to look at someone else.
Reply 15

You need top grades as Swansea Jack says.What went wrong with your exams?
Reply 16
Useful list of the entry requirements for all UK Dentistry courses - https://www.dentalschoolscouncil.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/DSC-Entry-Requirements-2023-1.pdf
Reply 17
Original post by Scotney
You need top grades as Swansea Jack says.What went wrong with your exams?

I didn't put enough work in, I was slacking towards the end of Y12 ( i know i shouldn't)
If I had worked harder, i would get those required grades... My gcses were all 8s and 9s
Reply 18
I didn't put enough work in, I was slacking towards the end of Y12 ( i know i shouldn't)
If I had worked harder, i would get those required grades... My gcses were all 8s and 9s

I would talk to your teachers about how you feel you have let yourself down and work like crazy over the summer to get up to speed .You may get another chance to get the grades revised in Sept but otherwise I would get your grades and apply during a gap year.If dentistry is what you want don't give up on it for the sake of a year.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19
Concern:
I want to take dentistry at a Russell group uni (hopefully), but i'm scared this has gone out of the window...
What can I do next ?

Speak to ur teachers and try ur best to convince them to try get ur predicted up. If not leave your 6th form I can't recommend this for everyone but thats what I did as they were giving me too low predicted and then smash the entrance exams for another 6 form, that should boost ur predicted. Also no one cares about Russel Group for dent every uni is respectable for dentistry as its hard to get in

Quick Reply

Latest