The Student Room Group

I’m struggling on whether to switch subjects.

So I am currently studying Theatre Studies at A-Level. Having Achieved a 7 at GCSE, having returned after summer, something feels off. I am seriously considering switching to a different subject, Can anyone answer the questions that follow my reasons and help me !! Please

1) They messed up the timetable so we have lost Research Studies off the timetable, And have to do a lesson once a fortnight most likely after school. I feel as though i’m losing crucial super curricular skills and also this means if I want to do an EPQ (Which I do wish to do) I have to do it completely in my own time whereas other students have sessions in school.

2) Some lessons are combined with the Year 13’s, I find them slightly insufferable 😂 Is that a good enough reason to not take the subject?

3) Last year, Out of a class of 11 Students the highest Grade was a B, These students I would not say are particularly unmotivated, or underachieving. I know members of this class who were rewarded with A*’s in English Literature. A large number missed out on their offered universities due to this fact, as they achieved way lower than their predicted grades. It has left me questioning the ability of my Drama Teacher. However teachers I have spoken to seem to blame the students. Is it unfair to blame the teacher and perhaps his overworking due to being the only Drama Teacher at my school.

4) I believe it would look better to achieve a B in a more academic subject than in Drama.

Some of these may seem superficial or silly, But I am really concerned about making the wrong choice and would appreciate any advice available to me! Thank you.
Original post by robrob17
So I am currently studying Theatre Studies at A-Level. Having Achieved a 7 at GCSE, having returned after summer, something feels off. I am seriously considering switching to a different subject, Can anyone answer the questions that follow my reasons and help me !! Please

1) They messed up the timetable so we have lost Research Studies off the timetable, And have to do a lesson once a fortnight most likely after school. I feel as though i’m losing crucial super curricular skills and also this means if I want to do an EPQ (Which I do wish to do) I have to do it completely in my own time whereas other students have sessions in school.

2) Some lessons are combined with the Year 13’s, I find them slightly insufferable 😂 Is that a good enough reason to not take the subject?

3) Last year, Out of a class of 11 Students the highest Grade was a B, These students I would not say are particularly unmotivated, or underachieving. I know members of this class who were rewarded with A*’s in English Literature. A large number missed out on their offered universities due to this fact, as they achieved way lower than their predicted grades. It has left me questioning the ability of my Drama Teacher. However teachers I have spoken to seem to blame the students. Is it unfair to blame the teacher and perhaps his overworking due to being the only Drama Teacher at my school.

4) I believe it would look better to achieve a B in a more academic subject than in Drama.

Some of these may seem superficial or silly, But I am really concerned about making the wrong choice and would appreciate any advice available to me! Thank you.

Hi! I was in the exact same position as you! I had chosen subjects that I didn't like, then I changed them after a year because I really hated them. I had to complete an extra year, but honestly I feel like it was the best decision I made. It allowed me to choose subjects I enjoy which actually motivated me to study.
If you really dislike your studies, you might want to change them. I didn't realise how badly my grades and mental health was being affected until I saw the change in grades from E/Ds to A/A* s. In saying that, there will be parts of any A level that you wont enjoy and there will be moments where you will struggle, but don't let that put you off.
I decided by creating a pros and cons list and weighing the options out against each other. E.G -is it worth another year in college? can I improve my grade if I stick with it? Does me hating this subject make me put off revision?
It also depends on what you want to go into after College - like do you want to get into a specific course with specific requirements. Taking another year in college also helped me to think more about what I wanted to do.
To summarise, you should do what you think is best for you and ultimately, do you want to do Drama for another year.
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest