The Student Room Group

I’ve failed second year. Advice needed.

Hey guys, So recently I’ve failed a module in my second year and I’ve passed around 3 and failed 3. Two of the modules I’ve failed I was going to transfer to a different course within the same degree (if you get what I mean) I’m not shocked at failing as I did have a hard time. I was constantly failed by the unis mental health team who refused to even acknowledge me.I’ve recently been placed on anti depressants and go counselling. I’ve left my toxic job and have accommodation a lot more closer to uni as I lived far out. I have extenuating circumstances but it was only applied to one module, and that’s the module I’ve failed. My tutor hasn’t been much help and I have no clue what to do. I’ve emailed another tutor asking for help. But I’m unsure if anybody is even in uni at the moment. I’m really stressing as I’ve let myself down, but I’ve made all the changes to improve my mental health which does take time. I hope the uni give me a second chance but I just need advice from people who have been in this position and what they did. Thankyou
The statement i was constantly failed by the university's mental health team, isn't owning up to some of the responsibility you do indeed bear in this situation.

Have a psychiatrist or someone with authority simply state that you have been under their care and have discussed your issues and apply to repeat the year. Remember you have four years of SFE use them to get the best result you can.

I'm glad your feeling better and i hope you can sustain this to complete your degree.

Remember, 2 failed modules that are resitted are capped this will keep your average very low, nearer to 50% then 60%. This is absolutely fatal for achieving a 2:1.. You don't want to end up needing 68-69% in 3rd year just to get a 60.

Repeating the year is simply your best option for your long term future.
Original post by Beeflet
Hey guys, So recently I’ve failed a module in my second year and I’ve passed around 3 and failed 3. Two of the modules I’ve failed I was going to transfer to a different course within the same degree (if you get what I mean) I’m not shocked at failing as I did have a hard time. I was constantly failed by the unis mental health team who refused to even acknowledge me.I’ve recently been placed on anti depressants and go counselling. I’ve left my toxic job and have accommodation a lot more closer to uni as I lived far out. I have extenuating circumstances but it was only applied to one module, and that’s the module I’ve failed. My tutor hasn’t been much help and I have no clue what to do. I’ve emailed another tutor asking for help. But I’m unsure if anybody is even in uni at the moment. I’m really stressing as I’ve let myself down, but I’ve made all the changes to improve my mental health which does take time. I hope the uni give me a second chance but I just need advice from people who have been in this position and what they did. Thankyou
Reply 2
Thankyou for the response. I take all responsibility to why I had failed. I should of pushed harder when I kept getting refused by the doctors for treatment and I should have spoken to the university more about struggling. Many of my tutors were notified about my mental health and they were amazing. But I do feel like I've let them down.

I want to resit the second year as like I said I am in a much better place now and have made all the arrangements needed to get back on my feet. I am less anxious and my depressive episodes only happen every now and again. I've started to push myself out of my comfort zone to combat my anxiety and I have honestly seen a general improvement. I've been trying to email as many tutors as I can on my next step of action but it seems everyone is either away or busy with graduation.

Resitting second year is the best option for me as I genuinely did enjoy my course and I feel like now I am in a better position mentally to prove that to the university. I'm just currently stuck in a position on how to get the ball rolling and request I resit the second year.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
The statement i was constantly failed by the university's mental health team, isn't owning up to some of the responsibility you do indeed bear in this situation.

Have a psychiatrist or someone with authority simply state that you have been under their care and have discussed your issues and apply to repeat the year. Remember you have four years of SFE use them to get the best result you can.

I'm glad your feeling better and i hope you can sustain this to complete your degree.

Remember, 2 failed modules that are resitted are capped this will keep your average very low, nearer to 50% then 60%. This is absolutely fatal for achieving a 2:1.. You don't want to end up needing 68-69% in 3rd year just to get a 60.

Repeating the year is simply your best option for your long term future.
That varies too much from university to university, but i suggest getting up with student services (what it would be called at my university). Going in and speaking to someone in person if that is possible is probably best. You may need to get it approved from whomever runs your course. But in all honesty universities usually say yes to this kind of request, especially when their are extenuating circumstances. They may ask for a doctor's note though confirming the struggles. Which is why i suggested getting that in order. But your best off just going in and speaking to someone about your situation. The university has no real reason not to accept the request, SFE will pay for it so your fine on that front. Just realise this is your last chance or you will need to pay out of pocket to finish your degree. 🤯🤯

Be brave, best of luck :smile:
Original post by Beeflet
Thankyou for the response. I take all responsibility to why I had failed. I should of pushed harder when I kept getting refused by the doctors for treatment and I should have spoken to the university more about struggling. Many of my tutors were notified about my mental health and they were amazing. But I do feel like I've let them down.

I want to resit the second year as like I said I am in a much better place now and have made all the arrangements needed to get back on my feet. I am less anxious and my depressive episodes only happen every now and again. I've started to push myself out of my comfort zone to combat my anxiety and I have honestly seen a general improvement. I've been trying to email as many tutors as I can on my next step of action but it seems everyone is either away or busy with graduation.

Resitting second year is the best option for me as I genuinely did enjoy my course and I feel like now I am in a better position mentally to prove that to the university. I'm just currently stuck in a position on how to get the ball rolling and request I resit the second year.

Quick Reply

Latest