The Student Room Group

Depressed after job rejection?

I went for an interview, i messed up big time in the interview and got rejected after, I failed to prepare properly and really regret it. I feel really depressed now and like I missed a big chance, I feel frustrated and angry with myself also. I keep feeling happy then sad most days. I feel so dumb as all my friends work their and I got rejected :frown:

Any advice? I feel so down.
Original post by Anonymous
I went for an interview, i messed up big time in the interview and got rejected after, I failed to prepare properly and really regret it. I feel really depressed now and like I missed a big chance, I feel frustrated and angry with myself also. I keep feeling happy then sad most days. I feel so dumb as all my friends work their and I got rejected :frown:

Any advice? I feel so down.

Ask for feedback if you can, then you'll have more of an idea why you didn't get offered the job. If you know that you didn't prepare thoroughly enough, then at least you can work on that for next time. After that, you need to try to put it behind you and look to the future. There will be other jobs to apply for, but if you stay fixated on the one job you didn't get, you aren't going to help yourself.

Also, working where your friends work isn't necessarily a good thing - the potential for drama and your personal life seeping into your work life is pretty high.
Hey there,
Everything happens for a reason! The idea of getting a job where my friends are may seem great, but it’s really not. Friendship’s get ruined and kids get *****y. Ive never really gotten on with any of my work colleagues when they’re in any sort of education, even if it’s not my school or even if i didn’t know them when i started work. Kids in school when they work treat it like a ring of drama, you probably missed the boat for good reason.
Don’t feel down, sad, frustrated, just try to learn from it. What would you differently for a job interview in the future? Easy answer because you already know! You said you didn’t prepare properly, well thats something small to change for the next time. Don’t beat yourself up!
Life’s full of ups and downs and rejection and acceptance, dont let one small thing get you down. In a couple of years you won’t even remember this!
Best of luck.
Reply 3
I guess I also got too nervous during the interview also I need to work on that + preparing more for the interview. I kinda feel left out because my friends work their I guess also. I thought a good chance of getting it but I failed. I also wanted to work their because it’s a 5 min walk from my house.
Original post by ccrilly624
Hey there,
Everything happens for a reason! The idea of getting a job where my friends are may seem great, but it’s really not. Friendship’s get ruined and kids get *****y. Ive never really gotten on with any of my work colleagues when they’re in any sort of education, even if it’s not my school or even if i didn’t know them when i started work. Kids in school when they work treat it like a ring of drama, you probably missed the boat for good reason.
Don’t feel down, sad, frustrated, just try to learn from it. What would you differently for a job interview in the future? Easy answer because you already know! You said you didn’t prepare properly, well thats something small to change for the next time. Don’t beat yourself up!
Life’s full of ups and downs and rejection and acceptance, dont let one small thing get you down. In a couple of years you won’t even remember this!
Best of luck.
Reply 4
I’ve asked for feedback but had no response, I just wish I tried harder this first time then I wouldn’t be in this mess. I always make things worse for myself all the time...it’s frustrating. The bad thing is I know i’m qualified for this job also which makes the feeling worse ....
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Ask for feedback if you can, then you'll have more of an idea why you didn't get offered the job. If you know that you didn't prepare thoroughly enough, then at least you can work on that for next time. After that, you need to try to put it behind you and look to the future. There will be other jobs to apply for, but if you stay fixated on the one job you didn't get, you aren't going to help yourself.

Also, working where your friends work isn't necessarily a good thing - the potential for drama and your personal life seeping into your work life is pretty high.
Being nervous in an interview is normal. If you tell them you’re nervous they will note that and won’t come down too harshly. I know it seems like a perfect job but there are many more fish in the sea. Don’t feel left out, there’s always a next step. You’ll see in a few weeks that it isn’t all that bad.
I guess I also got too nervous during the interview also I need to work on that + preparing more for the interview. I kinda feel left out because my friends work their I guess also. I thought a good chance of getting it but I failed. I also wanted to work their because it’s a 5 min walk from my house.
Reply 6
I probably should of told them I was nervous what made it worse was the interviewer was 20 minutes late. Will my feelings get better like will I get over the feeling soon? Should I tell my friends I got rejected or not?
Being nervous in an interview is normal. If you tell them you’re nervous they will note that and won’t come down too harshly. I know it seems like a perfect job but there are many more fish in the sea. Don’t feel left out, there’s always a next step. You’ll see in a few weeks that it isn’t all that bad.
I probably should of told them I was nervous what made it worse was the interviewer was 20 minutes late. Will my feelings get better like will I get over the feeling soon? Should I tell my friends I got rejected or not?

Ah that sucks!
Your feelings will definitely get better over time, I’ve worked terrible jobs before that i slid into and I’ve worked my best jobs that took me knocking and knocking and knocking and two years of rejection.
Tell your friends you didn’t get it if you told them you were applying, if not then there’s really no point. You’re probably feeling bad as it is and they may not help. If you do tell them don’t say rejected, don’t make it seem like a big deal to you unless theres someone you can really trust to confide in. If not just say “hey yeah so that job i applied for, big load of balls the interviewer was 20 mins late and then told me they didn’t need me? Big whoop, oh well there’ll be a better one that’ll come along soon” or something along that line lol. I’m from NI so slang is a bit rough.
But yeah, never show yourself as the victim or weak just power through your day, and next time be more confident in yourself! Amazing things will happen in the future, i promise.
Reply 8
I told them so I better tell them the result, i just find it all so frustrating that’s all as my ADHD is bad enough without this all happening. Hopefully I feel better soon, my friends were a little worried about me when I saw them last night ...
Ah that sucks!
Your feelings will definitely get better over time, I’ve worked terrible jobs before that i slid into and I’ve worked my best jobs that took me knocking and knocking and knocking and two years of rejection.
Tell your friends you didn’t get it if you told them you were applying, if not then there’s really no point. You’re probably feeling bad as it is and they may not help. If you do tell them don’t say rejected, don’t make it seem like a big deal to you unless theres someone you can really trust to confide in. If not just say “hey yeah so that job i applied for, big load of balls the interviewer was 20 mins late and then told me they didn’t need me? Big whoop, oh well there’ll be a better one that’ll come along soon” or something along that line lol. I’m from NI so slang is a bit rough.
But yeah, never show yourself as the victim or weak just power through your day, and next time be more confident in yourself! Amazing things will happen in the future, i promise.

Quick Reply

Latest