The Student Room Group

Joint honours and PGCEs

It's a long way off but I'd like to be a secondary school teacher in the future. Is it better to do an English degree or an education and English degree as joint honours? I'd like to know because then I'll know which to apply for and which will be more useful when applying for a pgce
Original post by Merlinquestions
It's a long way off but I'd like to be a secondary school teacher in the future. Is it better to do an English degree or an education and English degree as joint honours? I'd like to know because then I'll know which to apply for and which will be more useful when applying for a pgce

As a secondary teacher, at least 50% of your degree needs to be applicable to the subject you want to teach, so a joint honours degree would be fine.

Personally, I'd go for the pure English degree, as you might change your mind, and this would probably have wider applications outside of teaching, and wouldn't affect your employability within teaching.

However, if you think you'd prefer an Education and English joint honours, then you should obviously go for that!
Brilliant! Thank you so much!
Original post by Merlinquestions
Brilliant! Thank you so much!

No worries, good luck with the future!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending