The Student Room Group

20, parents keep threatening to kick me out and going back to college?

Hi im soon going to be 20 and decided this year to sort my life out, well most of it at least. I dropped out of college at 17 due to my depression and social anxiety sky rocketing during a term causing me to nearly having two mental breakdowns in front of the class.

Anyways theres my back story on why i dropped out but i'm going back so i can get a level 3 and go on to uni unfortunately i have to quit my fulltime job my notice is already in, i got my place in college and now my parents still keep threatening to kick me out every time they can't get their own way.

OK so hear me out, i appreciate them letting stay for another 2 years while im in college but they have this habit of self entitled attitude were they expect me to do pretty much everything even though i work full time at the moment and get stressed from my job i hate and trying to find 2 part time ones.

If i don't comfortable to do something because i have no knowledge or experience on the task they're asking me to do then they start threatening to kick me out on the spot and i'll no support when im in college, another example is when they ask me to go the shop for a certain item that i've never heard of before, (since i rarely have to do my shopping fyi) and my mum would start arguing that i should know this certain item even if im never going to use and says im being awkward and she#ll kick me out and yet i try to reason with my parents every time before we start shouting at each other's throats.

I know that it may seem reasonable for why my parents keep threatening to kick me out, from maybe your perspective, but from mine it's just always a threat that they have used a lot now that my accommodation which i will still paying rent for is being used as weapon to control me all the time.

I was wondering if anyone else had something similar to this and now what would be a good idea, im thinking on getting two part time jobs on were i can just afford my own flat for the next two years or still try to reason with my parents even if there seems no hope?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi im soon going to be 20 and decided this year to sort my life out, well most of it at least. I dropped out of college at 17 due to my depression and social anxiety sky rocketing during a term causing me to nearly having two mental breakdowns in front of the class.

Anyways theres my back story on why i dropped out but i'm going back so i can get a level 3 and go on to uni unfortunately i have to quit my fulltime job my notice is already in, i got my place in college and now my parents still keep threatening to kick me out every time they can't get their own way.

OK so hear me out, i appreciate them letting stay for another 2 years while im in college but they have this habit of self entitled attitude were they expect me to do pretty much everything even though i work full time at the moment and get stressed from my job i hate and trying to find 2 part time ones.

If i don't comfortable to do something because i have no knowledge or experience on the task they're asking me to do then they start threatening to kick me out on the spot and i'll no support when im in college, another example is when they ask me to go the shop for a certain item that i've never heard of before, (since i rarely have to do my shopping fyi) and my mum would start arguing that i should know this certain item even if im never going to use and says im being awkward and she#ll kick me out and yet i try to reason with my parents every time before we start shouting at each other's throats.

I know that it may seem reasonable for why my parents keep threatening to kick me out, from maybe your perspective, but from mine it's just always a threat that they have used a lot now that my accommodation which i will still paying rent for is being used as weapon to control me all the time.

I was wondering if anyone else had something similar to this and now what would be a good idea, im thinking on getting two part time jobs on were i can just afford my own flat for the next two years or still try to reason with my parents even if there seems no hope?

2 options.

Either speak to them and explain how upsetting it is to be told you will be kicked out all of the time. But be prepared for them to tell you what you are doing that upsets them too. And try to talk it out and maybe compromise.

Or do you have the option of maybe moving somewhere else. Would you have any other family that would let you stay? Grandparents maybe? Or a cousin you could maybe share a flat with to reduce the cost of living by yourself
Reply 2
No unfortunately i don't have family that i could turn to. Since they don't want to be involved with of any of this.

Original post by CJSE
2 options.

Either speak to them and explain how upsetting it is to be told you will be kicked out all of the time. But be prepared for them to tell you what you are doing that upsets them too. And try to talk it out and maybe compromise.

Or do you have the option of maybe moving somewhere else. Would you have any other family that would let you stay? Grandparents maybe? Or a cousin you could maybe share a flat with to reduce the cost of living by yourself
Call social services and see if they can put you somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest