The Student Room Group

Recently moved to UK and need help with GCSEs

——-
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,
Welcome to the UK!
I would definitely recommend taking Y10 before year 11, since there is just so much to learn. Especially because of this, we don't end up covering everything from year 10 in year 11, due to simply a lack of time. Starting in year 11 would be an incredibly huge amount of work...
In theory they should let you start in Y10 even though you're 15, I have a girl in my class who is a year older than the rest of us because she moved from Australia recently and wasn't at the same stage as we were, so they just put her in the right year for what she had learned. She has no problems and said she's happy she went into the year below her age, as it gave her a chance to catch up with the rest of us and really learn the content.
Good luck with what you end up doing x
Reply 2
Original post by nicolevalerie
As the title says, I recently moved here in UK (South England) last month from Philippines and will be starting my GCSEs this September. I’ll be in Year 11 (my birth date is 16 sep 03, im 15) and I have a few things to ask about the curriculum/the educational system of UK

do you guys think that its worth it for me to start year 11 without taking year 10 first and not learning the topics that was covered in y10?
(idk if the council will let me tho, as im 15 already)

did you guys cover all y10 topics in y11 (like revised it or not)?

anyway, tysm in adv if you replied! would be a great help x

would definitely recommend doing yr10
age shouldn't be a problem, at my school there were lots of people who were held back a year for whatever personal reason. yr 10 is one of the most important year bc they teach half of the curriculum.
Reply 4
I agree with all the other posters. Half of GCSE content is taught in year 10, so I would definitely recommend starting in year 10 if they let you. But if they don't let you don't worry too much, it'll be tricky but definitely not impossible if you start in year 11.
Original post by nicolevalerie
As the title says, I recently moved here in UK (South England) last month from Philippines and will be starting my GCSEs this September. I’ll be in Year 11 (my birth date is 16 sep 03, im 15) and I have a few things to ask about the curriculum/the educational system of UK

do you guys think that its worth it for me to start year 11 without taking year 10 first and not learning the topics that was covered in y10?
(idk if the council will let me tho, as im 15 already)

did you guys cover all y10 topics in y11 (like revised it or not)?

anyway, tysm in adv if you replied! would be a great help x

if you can i'd take yr 10 as you'll have to learn all of the topics from then before your GCSEs which is alot if the school is on track, you sort of revise some of the topics but again it'll be difficult :/
hi just wanted to update anyone that’s interested in this thread!
i did year 11 straight off and did my gcses for around 8 months because of lockdown. doing it halfway through has certainly disadvantaged me and i had to put twice the work in. i was very much willing to give up my social life (not much anyways), sometimes studied from 3 AM till 9PM while preparing for mocks, and just worked really hard. still excelled in all my subjects, i got 2 9s (maths chem), 6 8s (phy, geo, hist, media, eng lit, comp), 2 7s (eng lang, bio) which i was very delighted about considering my circumstance and that i also went to a very low performing state school. my teachers honestly didnt believe in me, put me in the ‘lowest’ class, but got moved up to the ‘highest’ class after two months in.
now im doing my alevels (bio, chem, maths) at different state school, and thinking of applying to medicine for 2022 entry.
good luck to anyone who might be on the same situation!!

Quick Reply

Latest