The Student Room Group

What will be a good comparison to "The World's Wife"?

For the comparative essay in my English Literature A level coursework, I have selected "The World's Wife" (Duffy), however I still need a prose text to compare it with (as I have already selected a drama text for the close reading / re-creative writing). I'm currently looking at "The Bell Jar" (Plath) and "The Yellow Wall-Paper" (Gilman) so I was wondering if anyone could recommend another prose or let me know whether either of those would be a good choice?
Reply 1
What is the theme/question you're thinking of comparing the texts on? This will make it easier to get text recommendations.

I have read the yellow wallpaper and it was very good, however, it'll need to fit your overall theme so you can get the best grade you can.

Personally, I did "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Wilde and "The Outcasts of Time" by Ian Mortimer. The theme I was exploring was identity. I read the former text and chose my theme before finding the latter to compliment it.
For my comparative essay I did The Wasp Factory (Ian Banks) and The Importance Of Being Earnest (Wilde). The Wasp Factory fits many themes. Or if possible I’d recommend doing any of Wilde’s works
Reply 3
Original post by Laine.C
What is the theme/question you're thinking of comparing the texts on? This will make it easier to get text recommendations.

I have read the yellow wallpaper and it was very good, however, it'll need to fit your overall theme so you can get the best grade you can.

Personally, I did "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Wilde and "The Outcasts of Time" by Ian Mortimer. The theme I was exploring was identity. I read the former text and chose my theme before finding the latter to compliment it.

I’m hoping I would be able to use a question something like “Compare and Contrast the ways in which Duffy and _ portray the female voice via their female protagonist in ‘The World’s Wife’ and ‘_’

Although it may be useful for me to use another theme that could be more specific - i.e if both texts are under feminist fiction I could go into passivity (or lack of) in female protagonists / characters OR societal impact on the well-being of women (i.e patriarchy route).
Reply 4
Original post by Laine.C

'The Outcasts of Time' is great. That's an original choice by you.
Reply 5
Original post by phoebe-o
I’m hoping I would be able to use a question something like “Compare and Contrast the ways in which Duffy and _ portray the female voice via their female protagonist in ‘The World’s Wife’ and ‘_’

Although it may be useful for me to use another theme that could be more specific - i.e if both texts are under feminist fiction I could go into passivity (or lack of) in female protagonists / characters OR societal impact on the well-being of women (i.e patriarchy route).

In that case I think Jane Austen's 'Emma'could be a great text to compare with, considering Austen intentionally wanted the reader to dislike her. You could explore the techniques she uses in portraying Emma as unappealing along with how this representation evolves.
Reply 6
Original post by Davy611
'The Outcasts of Time' is great. That's an original choice by you.

I really enjoyed the book, especially it's fragmented narrative and Faustian Bargain focus. I do love me some soul selling.

It was an original choice but I found it fitted perfectly with 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and couldn't resist using it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending