The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Royal Holloway commute

Hey,
I'm thinking of going to Royal Holloway University to do an undergraduate degree. I want to live at home so I would be commuting from West Sussex by car which would take about 1hr 30mins.
Has anyone else done this and have any insight to share?
It'll probably depend on which course you're taking and where your department stands on recording lectures. I know some people who can have 3 days with no lectures so no reason to come in, whereas something like Maths has lectures every day and they don't record lectures so you have to come in or miss important content. I commute home every weekend from Royal Holloway to East Sussex. It takes me about 2 and a half hours on train, but find it easier and less stressful than driving as often traffic on the M25 getting up there, so you may want to consider a season ticket instead of driving. However, in West Sussex you're probably closer, I know lots of people who commute in every day some with 2 hour journey, so if you you're up for it I'd go for it!
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Taking the train is a good consideration. Thank you, that's really helpful.
Original post by westie15
It'll probably depend on which course you're taking and where your department stands on recording lectures. I know some people who can have 3 days with no lectures so no reason to come in, whereas something like Maths has lectures every day and they don't record lectures so you have to come in or miss important content. I commute home every weekend from Royal Holloway to East Sussex. It takes me about 2 and a half hours on train, but find it easier and less stressful than driving as often traffic on the M25 getting up there, so you may want to consider a season ticket instead of driving. However, in West Sussex you're probably closer, I know lots of people who commute in every day some with 2 hour journey, so if you you're up for it I'd go for it!
No problem, timetables come out early September, you'll be able to check then if you have days where you're lecture-free then it will make it even better for you :smile:
Original post by Landi001
Taking the train is a good consideration. Thank you, that's really helpful.
Reply 4
Awesome :h:
Original post by westie15
No problem, timetables come out early September, you'll be able to check then if you have days where you're lecture-free then it will make it even better for you :smile:
Hey,
I'm thinking of going to Royal Holloway University to do an undergraduate degree. I want to live at home so I would be commuting from West Sussex by car which would take about 1hr 30mins.

Hi there,

If you are considering a commute to Royal Holloway by car you may be able to apply for a free campus parking permit, provided your commute is outside a 1.5 mile radius of the university. Though there are limited spaces to park on campus, so it's always good to get to campus early to secure a parking spot!

There is also a shuttle bus running between campus and Egham station throughout the day which costs £1 a journey or alternatively if it's a sunny day, the walk from the station to campus is only 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Philippa :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks, it is very helpful. I should probably be considering multiple possible transport options.
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi there,

If you are considering a commute to Royal Holloway by car you may be able to apply for a free campus parking permit, provided your commute is outside a 1.5 mile radius of the university. Though there are limited spaces to park on campus, so it's always good to get to campus early to secure a parking spot!

There is also a shuttle bus running between campus and Egham station throughout the day which costs £1 a journey or alternatively if it's a sunny day, the walk from the station to campus is only 20 minutes.

Hope this helps,

Philippa :smile:
I used to commute about 1 and 1/2 hours each way by car. It was tough, but I made it easier by staying over two nights per week. There is a B&B on campus (The Hub) which is pretty good if you can afford it. It's not so expensive when you consider the money you are saving in train fares or petrol. I would recommend booking a room during exam periods at least.
Hey,

I actually lived in Brighton when I first started at Royal Holloway, and it wasn't too bad. It all depended on times of lectures though. 9am starts weren't great because of rush hour traffic, and I would just avoid travelling at those times.
Reply 9
Thanks 😊
Reply 10
Thanks, that's great to know
The university doesn't offer any extra support for commuting students so be aware of that.

If you drive you have to arrive at least an hour early so you can get a car parking space.

Your timetable in first year might be busier than in your second or third year and might be spread over five days which makes commuting even more difficult.
Reply 12
Original post by thesnowbones
I actually lived in Brighton when I first started at Royal Holloway, and it wasn't too bad. It all depended on times of lectures though. 9am starts weren't great because of rush hour traffic, and I would just avoid travelling at those times.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending